Rate Dr. Patrick T. Ma

Dr. Patrick T. Ma's Ratings

I couldn't be more pleased about what Dr. Ma has done for me. For several years he tracked my heart murmur, and had me thoroughly tested. Then he referred me to the top valve surgeon when my condition warranted it. I have now had my surgery and I feel great. Dr. Ma always clearly explained things and I never felt rushed. He can be rather blunt, but I feel a no-nonsense doctor who is knowledgeable, skilled, precise, and thorough is very much preferable to one who is wishy-washy or vague. In future I'll be seeing Dr. Ma yearly so he can check how I am doing. In short, I consider myself fortunate to be his patient.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2448657].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 29, 2014

My first very recent visit did not impress me. My appointment was for 9:15 AM. I finally got to see the doctor after 11AM? Why did I fill out forms again? He totally overlooked everything on them, assumed without reading before asking if there were existing medical problems, was uninformed about what one of my conditions is and asked ME what caused it? Seemed "surprised" that I actually have a very good family physician who covers all aspects of my health, including emphysema for which, oh wow, you don't have a LUNG SPECIALIST? When an issue about heart QT came up, he blatantly told me that the very very brief test he was looking at did NOT show any QT issues (very brief strip done in office within last 1/2 hour). Of course, that's in the last 1/2 hour, right? Duh? Yet on 2 separate admissions at the Foothills for unrelated emergencies, the QT issue was bad enough that at first the hospital on 2 occasions thought I'd had a heart attack? Sure hope I don't need HIS HELP.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1372062].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 5, 2013

I don't know Dr Ma's knowledge level as a Cardiologist but he's not being patient. Because he's rush to finish conversation, he tends to make some incorrect assumptions, which makes me not trust on his judgement. I would definitely look for other Cardiologists who has time and patience to listen to their patients.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1372061].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 20, 2013

Very cocky man. I have taken my grandmother to Dr Ma twice now, and both times he was very rude, late, and extremely unhelpful. The most recent visit, I had work 2 hours after the scheduled appointment time, so we got there 20 min early. We still had to wait over 50 minutes to just get a room. He claimed to speak Chinese and began to speak Chinese with my grandmother, unfortunately he did not understand her Chinese at all and then proceeded to say her Chinese is bad. Which is ironic considering my grandmother is an old lady, 70+, and has been speaking Chinese her whole life. I would understand if it was a dialect of Chinese, but she speaks proper Hong Kong Chinese, yet he still did not understand. Putting that aside, he did not even acknowledge my existence nor the fact that I was her translator. Instead of asking for clarification he made assumptions which were not true. On top of that he did not bother listening to what my grandmother was saying, and instead put words in her mouth.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1372060].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 13, 2013

I took my 80 years old Dad to see Dr.Ma just recently. We had an appointment and was told to arrive 15min early..so we did. We waited in a very packed waiting room at the clinic, after an hour past our schedule time, I went up to their front clerk to check the status, the respond was "We asked you to set aside 2 hours for this apointment, that includes the wait time." I was shocked!!!!! We waited for 1hr15min beofre my dad was called. Once we were in, they wanted to do an ECG, and asked dad to take off his shirt and lay on the table, we done so, but the staff never return for 30min! Dad has back problem, he couldn't lay that long, when the staff return, she made a face and said "You need to lay down" and pointed to the table. We waited another 15min before dad saw Dr.Ma, and he was there for 10min! Dad needed some other tests done, so the same staff was booking for it and she was just rude when I try to find a date that I can take my dad in! won't recommend tclinic to anyone!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1372059].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 30, 2013

Dr Patrick Ma has been my heart doctor for over 10 years. As a doctor I am sure he is really good. Everything else sucks. His staff is rude. There is always at least an hour wait. This goes back to the staff and not knowing how to schedule appts. I have cancelled all further appts with Dr Ma due to his staff and not being rich. I dislike having to wait an hour past my appt time for him to say ok we need to do tests. I live two hours away from Calgary, this is not feasible for him to see me for 10 mins and then have me drive back a month later for tests that he does every single time I am there. I should be able to book these tests for the same day I am I there to see him. But because he runs so far behind schedule this would hold up other Dr's. Sorry Dr Ma but we are not all made of money and my time is valuable! So I guess I am no longer welcome to be your patient. I would never reccomend Dr Ma or his office. I will go see another dr. Where my time/money is valued and respected.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1372058].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 24, 2012

Dr. Ma is currently treating me for a reoccuring atrial fibrillation condition. He is very knowledgable and effective in helping to control my problem. His staff also is very knowledgable, helpful and come across to be very caring and concerned. Dr. Ma has a dry sense of humor which appears to go right over many peoples head, which they sadly misinterpet to be rude or abrupt. He is very busy but tends to be fairly close to his times with minimal delays. I would highly recommend Dr. Ma and his team to anyone and advise them to lighten up for an interesting health experience.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1372057].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 22, 2011

Cares only about making money. More like a ruthless business man- can also be rude if you are not prepared to play his game. Probably will not continue seeing you if you do not enter one of his drug studies. His staff will just cut you out of appointments. Blames other doctors when his treatments fail.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1372056].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 10, 2010

Although my highly respected family physician stated that my cardio tests were quite good, Dr. Ma indicated that I had “blocked arteries” and would require either (a) numerous medications, or (b) an angiogram and possibly an angioplasty. As it turns out, I have one small, tertiary artery with minor, reversible plaque. My impression of Dr. Ma is that he is overzealous concerning treatment, has poor bed-side manners, and makes bizarre analogies concerning heart health. Overall, I would NOT recommend Dr. Ma to others.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1372055].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 16, 2010

Once again I am writing because I feel that some patients are being unfair to Dr. Ma. He has been my cardiologist since 1997. Were it not for him I wouldn't be here today and neither would the rest of you. It saddens me when Alberta is in such dire need of specialists that many of you choose to shout the faults of the ones who have decided to stay here despite lucrative offers elsewhere. I'm sorry if you have had to wait past your appt. time, I've had to wait too but his intelligence and expertise are worth the wait. Keep in mind how many lives he's trying to save and also keep in mind that yours is one of them. Also, if you don't get the answer you're looking for look somewhere else and give the rest of us a chance to utilize his much appreciated time and knowledge. Once again Dr. Ma my heartfelt thanks goes out to you sir. Please do not let the narrow-mindedness of some speak for us all. With respect, Carron Boos.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1372054].votes_count ]]