Rate Dr. T. Alan Demco

Dr. T. Alan Demco's Ratings

I have great respect for Dr. Demco. I have had to go for other appts in his office for related assessments. The last such appt in June was not a good experience however. Dr Demco was out of office as he is when he has surgeries, and I found out that a technician was going to measure the thickness of my cornea. I was unaware of the reason for this appointment beforehand. She was unable to get a reading with her camera/computer equipment. She put more drops into my eye but the same result. I asked her then was my one contact lenswas an issue. She relied that she didn't know I wore contacts. I found that disconcerting - was there no transfer of information about my eye history to the technician? She also wanted a reading for my other eye which had previously had an intraocular implantation. I asked her if I had my cornea out and an implant put in, why would they need to know the thickness of the cornea in that eye? Perhaps there was a good reason I was thinking... .She said she didn't know the answer to that question. Then the technician came at me with a stylus type of instrument pointing at my eye. I was definitely startled when I realized that she was going to touch my eyeball with that instrument. She did not tell me ahead of time what she was going to do. At that point I had enough. I left the office.
I think that there are continual advancements in the field of opthalmology. I surmise that this new test is an example of an advanced assessment technique. I also think that there were definite gaps in applying this new technology alongside respectful patient care. I did not call Dr Demco about my experience but I will be making an appointment at the regular interval and will give my feedback. No one is perfect all the time and overall I have great respect for him and the time he takes to answer my questions. He is also an excellent surgeon and works tirelessly at his profession.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2543707].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 19, 2014

Dr. Demco has scheduled me for 4 appointments (maybe more coming) to do what my former opthalmologist was able to complete in one appointment. On my last visit, I waited more than 30 minutes to see him, and when he finally saw me, I was asked to read letters on the wall 2 times. It took less than 5 minutes and he did not examine my eyes. Aside from saying my last test was ok, he did not bother to explain what was wrong and why I need to come back for further tests!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1376085].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 29, 2013

The staff who worked on the afternoon of July 16, 2013 and the next day morning was very impatient and rude. She was not willing to help at all. I had the same experience when I first visited Dr. Demco years ago. I am surprised that Dr. Demco has kept her in his office for so many years.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1376084].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 31, 2013

Dr. T. Alan Demco was great. He has a gentle nature, soft spoken, very approachable and took the time to answer our questions. I was personally relieved to have him as my daughters doctor. We were even squeezed in last minute end of the day when I was concerned about my childs situation. I would recommend him any day.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1376083].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 31, 2012

I have a patient of Dr. Demco for over twenty years. He is very nice person and an excellent doctor. He knows his profession like you and I know how to breathe.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1376082].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 18, 2012

Dr. Demco is worth waiting for. He does sometimes run late, becuase he is trying to fit everyone in he can. He works 6 days a week at 12 hour days!! He knows what he is doing and always answers questions. His office is impeccably clean. However, his staff are very rude! Except for the one girl who works Friday and Saturdays, she is lovely.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1376081].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 29, 2012

I have cataract in my eyes. Going thru tests. Could have done the 3 tests the same day but got 3 different appts. One was to take blood pressure only. ridiculous. While doing ultra sound and measuring the lens broke a blood vessel in the eye. I don't know if I can trust him for surgery. Does not give any information what he is doing. You have to ask the questins yourself.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1376080].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 25, 2012

Dr. Demco is knowledgeable and thorough when he diagnoses and exams you. However, I've not had a good experience with his reception staff. (Not informative or helpful, rude, etc) His office runs chronically late for appointments. (Often 1 hour) Unfortunately, he is not very informative and appears to be "in a hurry" to get on with the next patient. You will need to ask lots of questions and ask "outright" what may be your problem or diagnosis. This is extremely frustrating when you must "advocate" and accompany a family member to appointments who cannot speak up for themself!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1376079].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 30, 2011

I have found that Dr Demco is very thorough - which may mean that you have more appointments - but it is reassuring to have that sort of careful investigation of anything as important as your eyesight. So I am very happy with the care I have received. I also should note that his staff are great and the office is meticulous and run beatifully. It is sad but many doctors offices are not very clean nor do the staff give the impression that they are aware of what is going on - so having a pristine clinic and staff who know exactly what is going on is wonderful.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1376078].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 30, 2011

I can't believe some of the reviews on here. I was misdiagnosed by UBC and VGH and their residents raved about Dr. Demco saying he was like the "God" of eye doctors. I had to get glaucoma surgery done in the UBC Eye Clinic (emergency - weekend) - Demco tried to do it but they couldn't schedule an OR. And he urged them to wait and let things settle. He know his stuff. UBC Clinic was ok - but had a lot of pain after and they missed things that Demco caught upon re-examination. His second surgery of my other eye was fantastic. Hardly any pain and no after drugs needed at all. He has been thorough and kind and is so dedicated to his patients. Yes one might have to wait a bit, but he's worth it cause he knows his stuff. As I said all the residents said it would be a privilege to operate under his care - I think that speaks for itself. I'm only in my mid-40's and I first saw him a year ago for an eye infection. Am so glad I got in the door before the glaucoma kicked in. HE'S EXCELLENT

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1376077].votes_count ]]