Dr. Richard Hart

Rate Dr. Richard Hart

Dr. Richard Hart's Ratings

Apparently a very knowledgable doctor for cancer problems. I had a colonoscopy ..claimed I had come on the wronging day..(I had the date on my info sheet which was validated by his receptionist)..when I asked for an explanation of the anaesthetic, he said "it will be the same as it was the last time I did it".I had never met him or had ever seen him before even for the pre colonoscopy interview (handled by a very nice intern). while I was talking to him, he told the nurse just to start the anaesthetic mid sentence. completely unacceptable. I worked in the medical field for several years, my father was a surgeon, I have never heard of such appalling medical behaviour. He should not be performing colonoscopies if he doesn't have the time.

Submitted Aug. 13, 2014 | flag

Cured!!!Five years ago after my gall bladder was removed I was informed that a tumour had been found in its wall. I was referred to Dr Hart who was very patient, kind and professional and laid out my alternatives which included further preventative surgery including a liver resection. Now five years on he has just told me that my last CT scan is clear and that I am cured. Over the last five years I have learned to value the relationship my husband and I have formed with this fine surgeon. Not only is he expert in his field but he has not lost his humanity. He is kind and reassuring when needed, always approachable and one never feels rushed when in his office. I feel that he is interested in me as a person as well as a patient. I would highly recommend him. A word should be added about Michelle who runs his office with great efficiency but who has always had a kind and reassuring word.

Submitted June 6, 2014 | flag

11 months ago at 31 years of age I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. Dr Hart performed my liver surgery. Although it was a stressful time, I found Dr. Harts confidence to be very reassuring. I decided to have the surgery without a blood transfusion, and Dr. Hart was very respectful of my beliefs. 75% of my liver was removed,and very little blood was lost in surgery. I was able to leave the hospital a few days earlier than expected. Yesterday I had CT results that I am now cancer free. I am so grateful that Dr. Hart was my surgeon, if I had to do it all over again (which I hope I don't) I would definitely choose Dr. Hart. I must also say Michelle is a great receptionist, she helped me feel relaxed, even though it was a stressful situation.

Submitted July 12, 2013 | flag

It has been one year since my whipple surgery. I feel truly blessed to be alive and feeling well thanks to the expertise of Dr. Hart and his caring team at St. Joseph's Health Centre. A special thank you to his wonderful receptionist Michelle who was very supportive in returning calls and answering my many questions. Thank you once again Dr. Hart for your excellent care.

Submitted May 29, 2013 | flag

Words cannot express my gratitude and appreciation to such an outstanding and personable surgeon who was always ready and willing to respond to each and every one of my questions, no matter how insignificant they were. He took the time to discuss and review all of the details about my procedure and outcome. He patiently explained various potential scenarios and was always optimist and reflective. He put my family and me at ease, and the passion that he demonstrated was exceptional. He took every precaution and ensured to have me seen by another doctor for further testing and examination. My family and I feel a very special connection to him and cannot thank him enough. We are blessed to have such an incredible caring and remarkable doctor. My follow-up visits with Dr. Hart continue to be just as rewarding and satisfying. The special human touch that he provides makes my family and I feel confident with my recovery and health. Michelle's warmth and caring way is greatly appreciated

Submitted May 22, 2013 | flag

Doc spent 15 minutes with me and I would never get a call back. Tests were done going on two months and never a response. Sent repeated emails and voicemails. I was persistent not obnoxious. This is a serious health issue not a head cold. Very unprofessional. Grateful I saw this early and decided to go elsewhere. Doc is full of himself and that is really unfortunate, having worked in the medical field I have seen this happen and that is when mistakes happen. I would strongly advise getting a second opinion or going somewhere else where you are genuinely cared for as a patient and a person.

Submitted May 22, 2013 | flag

I had an appointment for a colonoscopy as well that was cancelled. I called the hospital and it was the GI unit that cancelled all the procedures for that entire day not Dr. Hart.

Submitted May 8, 2013 | flag

This is the worst doctor. The receptions sucks too. I had an appointment for a check up, which require Enema inserted into my butt and I would be pooping like crazy. Inserting that thing up my butt really wasn't pleasant, but I thought I had to do it. When I went to the get the checkup, the receptionist tells me that my appointment was cancelled. She tried to call be during business hours but couldn't get hold of me and didn't bother calling me out of business hour. She said she wasn't working so it is not her responsibility. Instead let me go through the pain of shoving something up my butt and pooping all night and all morning. If she couldn't call, at least have the doctor to call. It only takes 5 minutes at most. Worst doctor ever.

Submitted April 30, 2013 | flag

My mom was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer in Jan 2012.After the devastating news, I quickly googled "Best pancreatic cancer surgeon in Toronto" and Dr Richard Hart's name came up. I sent his office and email detailing my mom's diagnosis and pushed the "send" button not expecting any response.Approx 1 hour later, Michelle, his Assistant calls back to say that "Dr Hart would love to see your mom" and 2 weeks later Dr Hart explained what a "Distal Pancreatectomy" was and why it was the best option for my her.He calmly answered the many questions I had, and never once did we feel rushed. After surgery, he explained that the tumour was removed laparoscopically, only done on the pancreas by very high skilled surgeons. Excellent bedside manner and he and his entire team truly care. We are fortuate and blessed to have such a highly skilled surgeon in Toronto, and a pleasant and very responsive Assistant. It's comes natural to them. My mom is 81 years old and currently cancer free.

Submitted Nov. 7, 2012 | flag

My husband was diagnosed with a Klatskin tumour in his bile dict. A stent was inserted to help relieve the symptoms of jaundice,dark urine, chalky stools and itchiness. We were then referred to Dr. Hart at the St. Joseph's Health Centre in Toronto. When we were informed that surgery was an option to remove the tumour, we were very relieved. The surgery was explained to us and upon hearing that 75% of his liver would have to be removed we became very concerned again. We put our trust in the surgical team and continued to hold onto a certain amount of hope. The end result was that the tumour was larger than first thought and the surgery was very difficult. Complications arose. The surgery itself as explained to me was successful but my husband because of complications passed away 9 hours later. I would just like to say to others in the same situation to ask more questions, become better informed. I don't think that my husband's surgery should be catagorized as successful.

Submitted Oct. 20, 2012 | flag