Rate Dr. Richard Hart

Dr. Richard Hart's Ratings

My father was a patient of Dr Hart. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at a very early stage, even Dr Hart was surprised that his tumor was so small. His first surgery was on July end on 2013, after his first surgery he was doing okay, he had a small tube hanging from the right side of his stomach. After 5 months of his first surgery my dad started getting chills and fever. We raised this issue with Dr Hart on Feb 2014 and he said to few tests and then came to a conclusion that there was an infection and he needs to do another surgery. My dad went through second surgery on March 2014. The tube was removed and he was discharged from the hospital in couple of weeks. After few days he was discharged, my dad stopped eating completely. He kept complaining that he feels like something is stuck somewhere in his chest and his food isn't passing down to his stomach. I kept calling Dr Hart's office and the receptionist told me to take him to emergency. We did that more than 9 times in three months. We would take him to the emergency, they would admit him there for few days, clear the blockage by inserting tube from his nose, he wasn't allowed to eat or drink. His condition started getting worse, so finally on May 2014 Dr Hart decided to send his assistant and put us on the spot saying that they are taking dad for another surgery. At that point she said whatever time dad lived was long enough and he he won't survive for longer than two months. After third surgery he was bed ridden and passed away July 2014. Not sure how other peoples experience has been with Dr Hart but i can say that it was a mistake that we took our father to him. We could have taken second opinion which we did not for some reason. Even though he was diagnosed in such a early stage, he did not survive even a year, and even during that one year, he was okay for just few months. I still remember Dr Hart told me first time he saw my dad that he will be with us for at least 10 years. But later when his health started getting worse, he did not even see him, neither at the hospital nor in his clinic. His assistant would see my dad. Highly recommend every one to take a second opinion. Do not go through whipple procedure until you have faith in your doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2532672].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 11, 2014

Apparently a very knowledgable doctor for cancer problems. I had a colonoscopy ..claimed I had come on the wronging day..(I had the date on my info sheet which was validated by his
receptionist)..when I asked for an explanation of the anaesthetic, he said "it will be the same as it was the last time I did it".I had never met him or had ever seen him before even for the pre colonoscopy interview (handled by a very nice intern). while I was talking to him, he told the nurse just to start the anaesthetic mid sentence. completely unacceptable.
I worked in the medical field for several years, my father was a surgeon, I have never heard of such appalling medical behaviour. He should not be performing colonoscopies if he doesn't have the time.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2494744].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 13, 2014

Cured!!!Five years ago after my gall bladder was removed I was informed that a tumour had been found in its wall. I was referred to Dr Hart who was very patient, kind and professional and laid out my alternatives which included further preventative surgery including a liver resection. Now five years on he has just told me that my last CT scan is clear and that I am cured. Over the last five years I have learned to value the relationship my husband and I have formed with this fine surgeon. Not only is he expert in his field but he has not lost his humanity. He is kind and reassuring when needed, always approachable and one never feels rushed when in his office. I feel that he is interested in me as a person as well as a patient. I would highly recommend him. A word should be added about Michelle who runs his office with great efficiency but who has always had a kind and reassuring word.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2448859].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 6, 2014

11 months ago at 31 years of age I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. Dr Hart performed my liver surgery. Although it was a stressful time, I found Dr. Harts confidence to be very reassuring. I decided to have the surgery without a blood transfusion, and Dr. Hart was very respectful of my beliefs. 75% of my liver was removed,and very little blood was lost in surgery. I was able to leave the hospital a few days earlier than expected. Yesterday I had CT results that I am now cancer free. I am so grateful that Dr. Hart was my surgeon, if I had to do it all over again (which I hope I don't) I would definitely choose Dr. Hart. I must also say Michelle is a great receptionist, she helped me feel relaxed, even though it was a stressful situation.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1382682].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 12, 2013

It has been one year since my whipple surgery. I feel truly blessed to be alive and feeling well thanks to the expertise of Dr. Hart and his caring team at St. Joseph's Health Centre. A special thank you to his wonderful receptionist Michelle who was very supportive in returning calls and answering my many questions. Thank you once again Dr. Hart for your excellent care.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1382681].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 29, 2013

Words cannot express my gratitude and appreciation to such an outstanding and personable surgeon who was always ready and willing to respond to each and every one of my questions, no matter how insignificant they were. He took the time to discuss and review all of the details about my procedure and outcome. He patiently explained various potential scenarios and was always optimist and reflective. He put my family and me at ease, and the passion that he demonstrated was exceptional. He took every precaution and ensured to have me seen by another doctor for further testing and examination. My family and I feel a very special connection to him and cannot thank him enough. We are blessed to have such an incredible caring and remarkable doctor. My follow-up visits with Dr. Hart continue to be just as rewarding and satisfying. The special human touch that he provides makes my family and I feel confident with my recovery and health. Michelle's warmth and caring way is greatly appreciated

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1382680].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 22, 2013

Doc spent 15 minutes with me and I would never get a call back. Tests were done going on two months and never a response. Sent repeated emails and voicemails. I was persistent not obnoxious. This is a serious health issue not a head cold. Very unprofessional. Grateful I saw this early and decided to go elsewhere. Doc is full of himself and that is really unfortunate, having worked in the medical field I have seen this happen and that is when mistakes happen. I would strongly advise getting a second opinion or going somewhere else where you are genuinely cared for as a patient and a person.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1382679].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 22, 2013

I had an appointment for a colonoscopy as well that was cancelled. I called the hospital and it was the GI unit that cancelled all the procedures for that entire day not Dr. Hart.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1382678].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 8, 2013

This is the worst doctor. The receptions sucks too. I had an appointment for a check up, which require Enema inserted into my butt and I would be pooping like crazy. Inserting that thing up my butt really wasn't pleasant, but I thought I had to do it. When I went to the get the checkup, the receptionist tells me that my appointment was cancelled. She tried to call be during business hours but couldn't get hold of me and didn't bother calling me out of business hour. She said she wasn't working so it is not her responsibility. Instead let me go through the pain of shoving something up my butt and pooping all night and all morning. If she couldn't call, at least have the doctor to call. It only takes 5 minutes at most. Worst doctor ever.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1382677].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 30, 2013

My mom was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer in Jan 2012.After the devastating news, I quickly googled "Best pancreatic cancer surgeon in Toronto" and Dr Richard Hart's name came up. I sent his office and email detailing my mom's diagnosis and pushed the "send" button not expecting any response.Approx 1 hour later, Michelle, his Assistant calls back to say that "Dr Hart would love to see your mom" and 2 weeks later Dr Hart explained what a "Distal Pancreatectomy" was and why it was the best option for my her.He calmly answered the many questions I had, and never once did we feel rushed. After surgery, he explained that the tumour was removed laparoscopically, only done on the pancreas by very high skilled surgeons. Excellent bedside manner and he and his entire team truly care. We are fortuate and blessed to have such a highly skilled surgeon in Toronto, and a pleasant and very responsive Assistant. It's comes natural to them. My mom is 81 years old and currently cancer free.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1382676].votes_count ]]