Rate Dr. Richard Hart

Dr. Richard Hart's Ratings

My mother was diagnosed with Pancreas cancer in 2011 and was referred to Dr. Hart by our GP. Our services regarding the entire life crushing news was handle by Dr. Harts team with complete professionalism and care. Dr. Hart preformed a Wipple procedure on my mother for a 6cm cancer tumour along with prescribing here chemotherapy. Its been almost 5 years to this day and my mothers is still alive and well. She feels great compared to the massive pain prior to the surgery and her odds of living with one of the worlds deadliest cancers was slim to none.
I thank Dr. Hart and his team with all my heart !
If he's your surgeon, your lucky and mo need for a second opinion. He's not god but performs miracles like one.
Choose him... He saved my moms life and i love her !
Thank you Dr. Hart !

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2657847].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 18, 2014

I had an Inguinal hernia repaired under local anaesthesia. I should also say I am a physician. I listened to everything Dr Hart was saying when teaching his residents how to perform the procedure. The attention to detail and manner in which he taught was on a level far superior than I had witnessed before. What a pleasure it was to listen to him knowing that this much attention to detail as he is known for in the larger cases is his standard for all he does.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2630099].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 23, 2014

My mother died in the ICU 20 days (October 2014) after a liver resection surgery performed by Dr. Richard Hart and his team. She underwent a liver resection after a diagnosis of gall bladder cancer. She was 60 and at a normal weight and with no symptoms prior to the surgery. She never had any health issues, other than getting her gall bladder removed in April 2014. If you are considering going for surgery please understand that there is a chance of death.

Although the chance of death is rare, ask these types of questions when going for your consultation and ask what kinds of complications you could run into. During my mom's consultation with Dr. Hart, he stated that she would walk out of the hospital in no more than 10 days. Your life is at stake and you have a choice. I believe that Dr. Hart and his team tried their best, but in the end my mom died as a direct result of the surgery performed by Dr. Hart as opposed to the cancer.

Supposedly, my mother's care was in the hands of all of the ICU doctors after the surgery, Dr. Joanne Meyer and Dr. Arthur Vanek. I have no clue what happened, she was supposed to be with me and my family for many many more years. Things in the ICU just got worse and worse after she fell into a comma 4 days after the surgery, including kidney failure requiring dialysis, an infection form one of the lines requiring antibiotics, and about 15 days after the surgery, there was major blood loss from the incision requiring transfusions (as well as 2.5L required of blood transfusions required during the surgery). From what we can tell, there was a drop in blood pressure or blood flow to the kidneys during the survey which caused some of these complications. The radiologist report prior to the operation also mentioned restricted blood flow to part of the liver.

We stayed by her bedside until she died of ammonia poisoning which caused seizures, brain swelling and she was declared legally brain dead. She died 20 days after the surgery.

Be very careful before doing this surgery. Do your research. Ask the hard questions. Prepare for the worst.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2626378].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 20, 2014

In April 2014 a 25mm Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumour was found in my pancreas during a MRI scan. This was affecting blood sugar levels causing blackouts and other issues. My GP referred me to Dr. Hart. I can say that I am 100% please with his skill and the efficiency of the experience and its health outcome.
In our first meeting he explained everything well and displayed a high level of confidence and answered all my questions. Surgery was scheduled quickly for May. It was a six hour operation, quite major, and in the middle of it he was able to modify the procedure based on his observations and did a complex but less traumatic procedure "on the spot". The result was a shorter recovery period and an improved outcome. I feel better and healthier now (I am 67) than before the tumour was discovered.
His secretary Michelle runs an efficient office and has always been very prompt in returning calls, scheduling appointments and pleasant to work with.
I only have the highest respect for him and his team.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2617255].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 13, 2014

Very rude doctor....... never trust him. it was terrible experience with him..

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2615139].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 11, 2014

My father was a patient of Dr Hart. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at a very early stage, even Dr Hart was surprised that his tumor was so small. His first surgery was on July end on 2013, after his first surgery he was doing okay, he had a small tube hanging from the right side of his stomach. After 5 months of his first surgery my dad started getting chills and fever. We raised this issue with Dr Hart on Feb 2014 and he said to few tests and then came to a conclusion that there was an infection and he needs to do another surgery. My dad went through second surgery on March 2014. The tube was removed and he was discharged from the hospital in couple of weeks. After few days he was discharged, my dad stopped eating completely. He kept complaining that he feels like something is stuck somewhere in his chest and his food isn't passing down to his stomach. I kept calling Dr Hart's office and the receptionist told me to take him to emergency. We did that more than 9 times in three months. We would take him to the emergency, they would admit him there for few days, clear the blockage by inserting tube from his nose, he wasn't allowed to eat or drink. His condition started getting worse, so finally on May 2014 Dr Hart decided to send his assistant and put us on the spot saying that they are taking dad for another surgery. At that point she said whatever time dad lived was long enough and he he won't survive for longer than two months. After third surgery he was bed ridden and passed away July 2014. Not sure how other peoples experience has been with Dr Hart but i can say that it was a mistake that we took our father to him. We could have taken second opinion which we did not for some reason. Even though he was diagnosed in such a early stage, he did not survive even a year, and even during that one year, he was okay for just few months. I still remember Dr Hart told me first time he saw my dad that he will be with us for at least 10 years. But later when his health started getting worse, he did not even see him, neither at the hospital nor in his clinic. His assistant would see my dad. Highly recommend every one to take a second opinion. Do not go through whipple procedure until you have faith in your doctor.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2532672].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 11, 2014

Apparently a very knowledgable doctor for cancer problems. I had a colonoscopy ..claimed I had come on the wronging day..(I had the date on my info sheet which was validated by his
receptionist)..when I asked for an explanation of the anaesthetic, he said "it will be the same as it was the last time I did it".I had never met him or had ever seen him before even for the pre colonoscopy interview (handled by a very nice intern). while I was talking to him, he told the nurse just to start the anaesthetic mid sentence. completely unacceptable.
I worked in the medical field for several years, my father was a surgeon, I have never heard of such appalling medical behaviour. He should not be performing colonoscopies if he doesn't have the time.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2494744].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 13, 2014

Cured!!!Five years ago after my gall bladder was removed I was informed that a tumour had been found in its wall. I was referred to Dr Hart who was very patient, kind and professional and laid out my alternatives which included further preventative surgery including a liver resection. Now five years on he has just told me that my last CT scan is clear and that I am cured. Over the last five years I have learned to value the relationship my husband and I have formed with this fine surgeon. Not only is he expert in his field but he has not lost his humanity. He is kind and reassuring when needed, always approachable and one never feels rushed when in his office. I feel that he is interested in me as a person as well as a patient. I would highly recommend him. A word should be added about Michelle who runs his office with great efficiency but who has always had a kind and reassuring word.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2448859].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 6, 2014

11 months ago at 31 years of age I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. Dr Hart performed my liver surgery. Although it was a stressful time, I found Dr. Harts confidence to be very reassuring. I decided to have the surgery without a blood transfusion, and Dr. Hart was very respectful of my beliefs. 75% of my liver was removed,and very little blood was lost in surgery. I was able to leave the hospital a few days earlier than expected. Yesterday I had CT results that I am now cancer free. I am so grateful that Dr. Hart was my surgeon, if I had to do it all over again (which I hope I don't) I would definitely choose Dr. Hart. I must also say Michelle is a great receptionist, she helped me feel relaxed, even though it was a stressful situation.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1382682].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 12, 2013

It has been one year since my whipple surgery. I feel truly blessed to be alive and feeling well thanks to the expertise of Dr. Hart and his caring team at St. Joseph's Health Centre. A special thank you to his wonderful receptionist Michelle who was very supportive in returning calls and answering my many questions. Thank you once again Dr. Hart for your excellent care.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1382681].votes_count ]]