You may also like

Rate Dr. Richard Hart

Dr. Richard Hart's Ratings

Having received the best of care by nurses, dieticians, and staff during my stays at St. Joseph's Health Care Centre in Toronto, many thanks and a special thank you and my sincere gratitude to Dr. Richard S. Hart, an excellent surgeon who saved my life by performing major abdominal surgery by removing my stomach during a 4 hour operation with his team members, which was successful, giving me 10 to 15 possible years on this planet. Having suffered resected gastric adenocarcinoma, bleeding ulcers at various times with Dr. Jonathon E. Springer, another fine physician who performed gastroscopy at various times as well as by Dr. Hart, cancer was discovered. In consultations with Dr. Springer and Dr. Hart and family members it was decided that for the best my stomach with malignant ulcers had to be removed. Dr. Hart was very helpful and informative to me and family members in explaining the surgical procedure and postoperative functioning for me. I had part of my stomach removed in 1954 leaving a small scar. Dr. Hart used the same method for the surgery. He left a fine scar which is almost like an invisible tattoo. Also 7 nodes full of cancer were removed with stomach and gallbladder. If there was an award for surgical artistry, it should be given to Dr. Richard S. Hart. I am now in care with the doctors at the oncology clinic at St. Joseph's Health Centre for periodic scans and consultations. -Archie G. Harjes, Etobicoke, Ontario

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2744592].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 8, 2015

In February, I had my gallbladder removed. I want to thank Dr. Richard Hart for his optimal level of care and attention to ensure my full healthy recovery with my gallbladder surgery. I could tell that I was in good hands from my first medical appointment with Dr. Hart. Dr. Richard Hart came to me with high recommendations from a friend so I felt good about things. I really liked his no-nonsense and serious approach. He took the time to educate me about my gallbladder and what was happening to me. I had been feeling awful off and on for years and it took me a few years to arrive at the decision to have my gallbladder removed. It wasn't easy for me. Dr. Hart was patient with me. He took the time to explain things to ensure that all my questions were answered. I felt reassured with Dr. Hart that removing my gallbladder was the right thing to do. Now that I am recovered, I cannot believe how great I feel without my gallbladder. It made me ask myself why I waited so long to have my gallbladder removed. I should have done this a long time ago. Dr. Hart made me feel comfortable and reassured as a patient under his care--and he didn't rush me in my decision. I am very pleased with Dr. Richard Hart and I highly recommend him. Michelle is a conscientious and positive person. I felt that she really cared about my well-being. Together, they make an awesome team! I thank them both for looking after me in the way that I would expect to be looked after from a highly regarded surgeon. With deep gratitude. Thanks!!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2743473].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 6, 2015

January 2010 I was diagnosed with Stage 4 rectal cancer. The cancer had metastased to the left side of my liver. After I recuperated from the rectal tumor surgery at Credit Valley the surgery on my liver was to be performed by Dr. Hart at St. Joe`s. Dr. Hart explained the procedure, risks and outcome. He had to remove 40% of the left side of my liver and I was discharged one week later. I did all my appropriate follow ups. I found his receptionist, Michelle to be considerate, respectful and cheery which always made me feel comfortable. I had my final visit with Dr. Hart Feb 18/15 as I am now cancer free. I am very grateful to have had Dr. Hart on "my team" to help me get to where I am today. Thank you. Wendy T.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2743268].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 5, 2015

A little more than 2 years ago a mass was found in a bile duct inside my liver. I was referred to Dr. Hart and he suspected cancer. In January 2013 I underwent a liver re-section which required the removal of my gall bladder and 75% of my liver. The cancerous growth was removed completely. At that time I was told that my hospital stay would be 10 - 14 days. I was very impressed with Dr. Hart as well as his team and my recovery went much swifter than originally thought. After 5 days I was released from hospital and recovered at home. My whole hospital experience was very positive and if it had not been for Dr. Hart, my life could have been much different. After 2 years I am cancer free and living a very healthy life, enjoying my grandchildren and looking forward to many more healthy years. Thank you Dr. Hart and also Michele, his very pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful secretary.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2738561].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 27, 2015

I thanked the Lord for using Dr. Richard Hart as an instrument for my healing. January 7, 2010 when I was diagnosed with pancreatic tumor. Brampton Civic referred me to Dr. Hart's office. They faxed the referral in the morning and by 2:00 p.m. I got a call from Michelle and she told me that Dr. Hart wants to see me the next day. What a favor from God! So we went there and Dr. Hart explained to us everything. He doesn't rush but really spent time with us explaining. February 3, 2010 when I had the surgery. The day before the surgery, I prepared a thank you card for him & his team. I wrote that I thanked the Lord for using them as instruments for me and congratulate them for a job well done. That's faith! The next day, when Dr. Hart and his team visited me, I asked my friend to give the card to him. Truly it was a success! It's been 5 years now! February 18, 2015 when I went to his office and received the good news that the result of my ct scan was very good. To God be the Glory! I love Michelle too for being so kind and sweet. God bless you and more power!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2734317].votes_count ]]

Submitted Feb. 24, 2015

If I could i would give Dr. Hart 0 for helpfulness I would. This doctor is only concerned about being a surgery machine and does not care at all about the well being of his patients. especially after they suffered considerable complications following his surgery. I would highly recommend considering another doctor/hospital as if you suffer complications other surgeon will be reluctant to take you on as a patient so you will be stuck with Dr. Hart who doesn't even explain to you the procedures that you would need to undergo.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2732221].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 23, 2015

Thank-you Dr Hart! You saved my husband's life. Last spring (2014)he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Dr. Hart saw him right away, explained the surgery and preformed the whipple procedure within 2 weeks, after our first appointment. He is slowly getting better everyday. I have great respect for the doctor, his surgical team and Michelle! Thank-you again .Dr. Hart!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2730584].votes_count ]]

Submitted Feb. 21, 2015

Several years back I was diagnosed with rectal cancer. I was referred to Dr Hart at St Joseph's. I have to say that at first I was skeptical because I am in my 70s. When Dr Hart saw me he explained everything in a very detailed professional manner that made me feel at ease. I would like all patients no matter what illnesses they have to be in the hands of such a knowledgeable doctor as Dr Hart. Today I feel great, have no complaints and am very grateful that I was in good hands.
Another person I must mention is Michelle. She is always glad to help and very cheerful. She makes you feel comfortable and at ease. Thank you Dr Hart that I will be able to celebrate my 75th BD and you too Michelle!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2728223].votes_count ]]

Submitted Feb. 19, 2015

My dad was diagnosed with pancreas cancer in 2014 . Dr hart told us he was in 1st stage of cancer . He performed whipple surgery. After this surgery i was unable to see dr hart. He always used to send his assistance to see my dad. Every thing was going fine for few month ,but suddenly my dad started getting fever and chill. When we went to emergency they used to give him an antibiotics and send him home (4-5 times in a month). i was really frustrated and want to talk to dr hart. At first they didnt allow me to see him but, when i said i am gonna take this case to court cause being a head dr he is not caring for his pt and so on.....finally dr hart came to see my dad. I asked dr hart" whats going on" and he said i am sorry to say but we need to do 2nd surgery cause of infection. This was happening first time in my family not sure what to do and we don't have any option so we decided for 2nd surgery. After 2nd surgery my dad again started having problem with constipation.I took him to the hospital they gave him medications and send him home but, medicine was not helping him at all. He had constipation for almost 15-25 days and this is not a joke. One day when i was at work my mom took him hospital again and i got a call from hospital saying they have to do 3rd surgery to open the blockage, When i go and talk to one of the lady dr who was his assistance she told me my dad is in last stage of cancer. I was surprised. I remember when i first when to see dr hart with my dad he said dad will be alive at least for 10-15 years. he was only 50. This case i was unable to decide and i know doing 3rd surgery also we wont be able to save him. but my dad was so positive and he decided to do 3rd surgery. After 10 days of 3rd surrey my dad passed away.
MORAL: TAKE A GOOD DECISION. BEFORE CHOOSING DR HARD AS YOUR DR THINK 10 TIMES ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES . TO BE HONEST WITH YOU,HE WILL JUST DO YOUR SURGERY AND HE WONT CARE EVEN IF YOU ARE DYING. THERE ARE MANY OTHER DOCTOR WHO IS BETTER THAN HIM...ITS YOUR LIFE SO THINK ABOUT IT....

Was this rating useful? 5 [[ userState['ratings'][2696368].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 24, 2015

A family member had surgery in Toronto by Dr. Richard Hart. Unfortunately, they passed away as a result and we've been trying to obtain a copy of the surgical report for 3+ months. Despite dozens of phone calls, unreturned voice mails and emails, Michelle, the front office receptionist, is unhelpful and gives us the run around (The report is next on his to do list, we promise to get it to you tomorrow, etc. etc.).

When things go wrong, as can happy with major surgeries, this is definitely not how the family should be treated. All in all, our experience has just added an unbearable amount of stress, anguish, and resentment on top of an already horrific situation.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2689951].votes_count ]]