Rate Dr. Gary O'Connor

Dr. Gary O'Connor's Ratings

I have had two visits with Dr. O'Connor. The first visit went very well it was then to my surprise that I was informed that I would require knee replacement, I hoped that I just would require orthio-scopic surgery, Dr. O'Connor told me that I required a full left knee replacement, this first visit was information overload for me. Dr. O'Connor recommended two web sites to visit and that I do follow up visit where would explained everything over again. In the second visit he went over everything again. I found him to be very caring of my needs and excellent in explaining the procedure to me. He went through the ex-rays on both knees and showing me the differences in each knee and why surgery was required. I have bone on bone in left knee and a similar situation in my right knee, the right knee is not as painful as the left. I will have a further review after I have my surgery. So far, I am very pleased with the respectful and caring way he has been with me.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390580].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 3, 2013

The wait to see an orthopedic doctor in Alberta is over 6 months. By the time I would have my surgery it would have been at least a year of pain and inactivity. The Canadian heath care monopoly is only good if you have an emergency. I went to Kelowna and got it done in 1 week. I had a partial meniscectomy on my left knee in Apr. I was walking the very next day and drove back to Calgary. Surgeon, the private clinic and staff are A1 and experienced.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390579].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 24, 2013

I was airlifted to Vancouver and treated there due to severity of injuries. dr O Connor did my follow up - if you can call it that. He was uncaring and brash, did not listen and just talked over in regards to how he would have done the repair differently. I dreaded my appointments with him and did not find him helpful or informative what so ever

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390578].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 2, 2013

I found him rude, arrogant and unprepared. He was short with me whe i asked questions and he failed to examin me. I found it a complete waist of my time. I later went to another Dr. out of town and had a completely opposite experience.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390577].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 26, 2013

dr. o connor did not perform my surgery but saw me in follow up. at the time he saw me i had 2 very simple issues that i requested his help with. to address them both would have taken perhaps 3-5 minutes of his time. one was pain management - he REFUSED to even TRY to help me with this issue. and he did so in a very underhanded sneaky kind of way - he refused to discuss it when he first saw me, but said he would discuss it "tomorrow." when "tomorrow" rolled around he refused to even come to my hospital room and see me, hence avoiding the discussion. the second issue was a minor issue with my surgical incision - i just wanted him to look at it. he thought it was unnecessary and refused to even look at it. overall he gave me the impression of being completely unconcerned with my well-being. ultimately it did not affect my overall physical care as i was looked after by other physicians, but he was unpleasant enough to deal with to compel me to submit this post.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390576].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 27, 2011

good doc liked his manner. was polite. Is very busy but to be exspected being a surgeon.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390575].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 23, 2010

From the beginning to the end, I felt I was in very capable and expert hands. The Dr. was very focussed in our discussion, and to the point. He answered all questions very clearly and really put me at ease about my hip replacement.I highly recommmend him to everyone. It turned out perfectly, and there were no infections or complications. I did DR. research before I had the operation, and I am 100 % pleased with Dr. O'Connor's work. No regrets with choosing him. His Receptionist was very accomodating and professional.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390574].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 28, 2009

Very disappointed in hip replacement surgery. His complacency about leg length discrepancy is most disturbing. As a surgeon, I do not believe he "goes the extra mile" at all, in fact quite the opposite. I had expected a higher skill level, given that he practises in a teaching hospital.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390573].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 24, 2009

Doctor O'Connor saved my Right Leg!!! I was told by my family doctor that most other doctors would have amputatd my leg afer the serious accident I had...but not Doctor O'Connor!! To this day I thank him with every second step I take!!! He performed numerous surgeries on me and not once did I ever have a doubt of the outcome!! I was treated with respect and with dignity when I asked for help to fight the WCB and Doctor O'Connor was in my corner right from the get-go!! He and my family doctor were instrumental in swaying the opinion of the WCB and allowing me to get the re-training I was entitled to. I thank him from the bottom of my heart for all he did for me...both medically and personally!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390572].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 2, 2009

good first visit but knee surgery and post visit dont think he rememberd my case,not helpfull seems scattered.left feeling lost uneasy

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1390571].votes_count ]]