You may also like

Rate Dr. Allan R. Slomovic

Dr. Allan R. Slomovic's Ratings

I suffer from a mysterious pain illness which followed refractive surgery. After my own surgeon failed to even attempt to help me, I was referred to Dr. Slomovic. While the good doctor Slomovic has not 'cured' me, he has tried everything on my behalf and continues to do so. He's a very busy doctor (given his expertise) but he makes you feel relaxed and your questions/opinions are respected. He doesn't give false hope, but he also doesn't give up on you. What more can you ask for? On the whole, he's a deep down good person, with an incredible knowledge set, and a profession that thankfully lets him practice both his education and his compassion.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2828635].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 5, 2015

Dr Slomovic saved my vision and life. In my early twenties I began to lose my vision. After seeing dozens of other opthamologosts to no avail Dr Slomovic came along when I needed him most. Dr Slomovic is at the top of his field for a reason. I have yet to meet another Doctor that has close to the technical skills he possesses coupled with such a great bedside manner. . With all the patients he sees each day I always feel my concerns and questions are heard and respnded to. His innovative stem cells research and transplant surgery literally allowed me to see the world around me again. The 1000s of hours he has spent developing this program in his free time is changing countless individuals lives into something they could never have imagined before meeting him. There is no better surgeon and even better person I would trust with mine or my loved on eyes.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2828491].votes_count ]]

Submitted June 5, 2015

Dr. Slomovic is an incredible doctor and an incredible person. He is patient and kind and changed my life. No one can truly understand how miserable ocular health issues are until they have experienced one, and Dr. Slomovic's treatment of my on going eye problems changed my life. He is incredibly knowledgeable and while the Western is a teaching hospital and there were doctors in the room that doctor Slomovic was talking to/teaching, I never felt like he was talking about me rather than to me as if I was my pathology or a number. Dr. Slomovic is also incredibly humble, I did a little reading about him prior to my appointment and discovered that not only is he an excellent surgeon and doctor but he's also studying new and innovative stem cell research. From all of that I expected him to be all bluster and self-righteousness, but i was pleasantly surpassed to find him charming, selfless, and humble. Also to those who commented on his billing, that is the opposite of my experience with him! Dr. Slomovic was incredibly sensitive to my financial status, and while he did explain to me that there were somethings that just couldn't be billed through OHIP (which quite frankly were not his fault!), we were able to work together to find a compromise with what i could afford

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2822948].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 30, 2015

I was referred to Dr. Slomovic by a doctor who unwittingly damaged my left eye. In 20 years as his patient, he's been wonderful & has vastly improved my sight. I just read the posts below. While many are 5 star, I think others may be a result of misunderstanding the system.
But I want to address the post directly below. How credible is this poster when he gets facts wrong, gives no specifics, and resorts to mocking Dr. S's birthmark (not "scar"). Here are ACTUAL facts:
"PUSH YOU INTO THE PUBLIC SYSTEM" - he prefers to treat qualifying patients at Toronto Western so they'll be covered by OHIP and NOT have to pay private clinic fees.
"HIS CLINIC" - He's there 2 days a month, basically as an employee. He's mostly at Toronto Western, where he's paid standard OHIP fees. He'd make far more by working more at the clinic seeing private (non-OHIP, considered "cosmetic") patients. He'd have made lots more had he not last year donated 1,000 hrs.+ to a research program on promising new stem cell treatments. Or the 500 hrs. of free time setting up a non-profit clinic with expert optometrists for otherwise untreatable patients using scleral lenses. (1500 hrs. = about 10 months of 40 hr. weeks - wonder how much free work this poster's given in the past year).
REPUTATION - Elected by his Canadian colleagues as President of the Canadian Ophthalmological Society & devotes about 20 free hours a week to that group.
"EGO, ARROGANT, NO HEART" - I've had lots of health issues & seen many doctors. Dr. S. is the LEAST arrogant, non-ego driven Dr. I've ever dealt with.
The poster below isn't worth regarding when he lowers himself to using Dr. S.'s birthmark as a reason to brand him a selfish, disgusting man. He is vicious, uninformed, & not worth considering.
RE: other posters - if you see him at Toronto Western, he may possibly be seen as less personally involved as patients might like. But it's the system - he has an outstanding reputation & that means a LOT of referrals. He tries to help as many as he can. His staff of technicians, resident ophthalmologists, and fully qualified ophthalmologists from many nations (who've come to gain specialized training under him) are very capable of taking all measurements needed, so Dr. S. can see a complete chart & deal with many patients. Because he's so busy, he CAN'T take a lot of time to "hand-hold" patients. Often, qualified staffers will provide (under his direction) info to the patient. His patient load may mean you'll only see him a few minutes, but you'll have received a full course of measurements and exams, it's all charted for Dr. S. (and he READS charts thoroughly) & you'll get an explanation of the results from Dr. S. and (if needed or requested) a more detailed one from an ophthalmologist working under him. All this allows Dr. S. to help as many patients as possible. So I understand why it may seem like a "factory", but it's simply what's necessary in our medical system so as many as possible can benefit from Dr. S.'s national (and world - judging by the number of foreign ophthalmologists who come to Canada to train under him) reputation. If the President of the COS isn't good enough for you, you'll have to look long to find better.
RESULTS - He's the first to agree that complex eye surgery is as much art as science. I had terrible results from a previous doctor. With every procedure I've had from Dr. S., he's warned me that, while perfection is a goal, it's seldom possible. Some corneal transplants don't "take". Sometimes laser correction isn't exact. Not all get excellent results - but that's simply where the state of the art is right now, and Dr. S. gained his renown for getting better results than almost anyone else.
In the dozens of times I've seen him, he's been exceptionally courteous to patients and staff (you can see him eating lunch with his staff, right down to the newest tech) in the food court of Toronto Western most days.
He's among the very top, if not THE top ophthalmologist (specializing in corneal and "front-of-the-eye" diseases and conditions) in Canada, and the kindest most empathetic gentleman I've ever met in medicine - and I've met many.
If a doctor has lots of time to commiserate with you, pat your hand, and spent half an hour reviewing your situation (as my previous ophthalmologist did), you might wonder why he has so much time, and so few patients to see. I wish I'd seen Dr. S. before seeing my first ophthalmologist.
Dr. S.'s great reputation makes him immune from the nasty ravings of the poster below.
He is worthy of the many honours he's received, and has paid it back with huge amounts of unpaid stem cell research that shows great hope to improve the vision of millions of future patients world-wide.
He's a great man, I'm lucky to be his patient.
BTW - I despise nasty reviewers hiding behind anonymity - so, for the record, this 5 star review is from Brian Dawson, & I have no connection with Dr. Slomovic other than as a grateful patient!

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2821596].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 29, 2015

Allan Slomovic is one of the worst doctors and human beings in the city of Toronto sadly to say.Had surgery in his Yonge Eglinton private Eye clinic and like one of the other posters said will push you to the public system in the hospital to see him there, not to give a bad name to his workmanship or prestige,so he can bill others and not show the people he has damaged.He is a man with a terrible ego who is arrogant and driven by money and will make every excuse in the book to shoulder the blame to others.He has no heart and will continue to try to bill you for the mistakes he has made with new procedures.He does not listen at all and will lie continually to back up false stories.Most disgusting selfish man I ever met,its a shame that scar on his face doesn't cover his whole face.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2818739].votes_count ]]

Submitted May 26, 2015

Dr slomovic is absolutely the finest doctor I have ever been treated by. his knowledge, gentility and bedside manner are superb!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2804850].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 12, 2015

Dr. Slomovic is one of the best doctors ive known, i have had plenty of doctors for different reasons in the past 10 years and he is by far one of the best. Very patient, friendly and determined to not give up. I had a stem cell transplant and two cornea transplant, that im currently wait for to heal. Hes understanding and very helpful, very well recommended!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2791254].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 28, 2015

I have been a patient of Dr Slomovic for over twenty years. He has two of my three corneal transplants. Without these I would be blind. I also have some complicated issues with my eyes and he and his staff always fit me in on emerge ant basis. Yes the appointments are long but that is true with anyone who is really good at what they do. I highly recommend Dr Slomovic.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2763832].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 1, 2015

Dr. Slomovic himself is incredibly knowledgeable and willing to solve the problem, however, his support staff are completely rude and unorganized. I have now had two surgery dates cancelled because his secretary cannot get the proper paperwork together. Continously getting the run around and never get a straight answer.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2747089].votes_count ]]

Submitted March 12, 2015

A very demanding doctor. Expects everyone to stop everything when he wants something. Very disrespectful to staff.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2606374].votes_count ]]