Dr. Eric H. Elowitz

Grad. Year: 1986

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.4 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 24 reviews. Dr. Eric H. Elowitz has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Dr. Eric H. Elowitz
Neurosurgeon-related: nervous system, cervical and lumbar spine problems, brain tumors, neurovascular problems, peripheral nerve problems, neurological surgery, brain and spinal cord tumors, skull-base surgery, brachytherapy, aneurysm surgery, epilepsy surgery, neurological surgery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5622689
08/07/14 5 5 5 5 I recently had back surgery with Dr. Elowitz.Dr. Elowitz is an excellent caring and neurosurgeon. He is the only Dr. that I would allow to operate on me. I went to four other Dr's first and felt that they were not the right DR's. I checked out Dr. Elowitz on the internet and then met with him. He is even better in person. He is very caring and spends all the time with you that you need. His staff is the same way. Because of Dr. Elowitz I was able the sleep my first night without any pain or pain medication.I had my surgery at8:30 am and I was out of the hospital by 4:00 PM THE SAME DAY. This was the best decision I ever made even though it took me over 6 months to finally do it and I am glad that I did.In summary, Dr.Elowitz and his staff are the best. If you would liket odiscuss any of this with me please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and I would be very willing to discuss this with you.Thank k you again Dr. Elowit and staff.Bruce
RID: 5503048
31/05/14 5 5 5 5 Dr Elowitz is fantastic! I saw a few other surgeons but he explained my problem in the office and the surgery was successful. I had been dealing with the pain for months and now I am doing great. He is honest, straighforward and experienced. His office was a pleasure to deal with and his nurse, Ed, always returned my call quickly. I can highly recommend Dr Elowitz!!
Insurance: Aetna
Respond

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Eric" to "Eric H."
RID: 2166439
29/05/12 5 5 5 5 For four months, I was unable to walk without severe leg and back pain. Dr Elowitz preformed a micro discectomy and within two weeks after surgery I was walking virtually pain free. Post operative medications were minimal and functioned perfectly. There were no adverse after effects or infection and it is now six months later and I feel great.
RID: 1721763
24/02/12 4 5 5 5 A friend referred me to Dr. Elowitz after having a successful microdiscectomy. I consulted with 4 neurosurgeons and Dr. Elowitz was BY FAR the most knowledgeable, and had a calming bedside manner. He spent time talking to my family and I. There was no question as to which doctor I was going to chose. I am now 10 days post-op from my microdiscectomy at L5-S1 and I've never felt better. Dr. Elowitz gave me my life back! I would never see any other neurosurgeon. He's the BEST! His RN Nancy is also very kind and super helpful.
RID: 1710326
10/02/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Elowitz operated on me in August 2008. He did an XLIF and Trans-sacral sugeries. He gave me my life back and I will always be grateful. He and his staff were ALWAYS kind and professional. My surgery was done at St.Lukes Roosevelt. The care I received there, with the exception of 1 recovery room nurse, was outstanding.
RID: 1685062
12/01/12 1 5 1 5 This rate is more on Cornell Hosp than Dr Elowitz. He unfortunatly works there. I was referred by a friend to Dr Elowitz for cervical spine fusion. He was very nice and spent alot of time explaining the procedure to me. I decided to use Dr Elowitz. I made an appt for surgery and contacted his billing staff. They are rude and robotic. Myself and my family have never had to pay for out of network physician operations because of our two ins policies. That is with many high profile doctors at HSS, Joint Disease,etc. Billing wanted to charge me over $6000 even though my insurance was going to cover the entire surgery. Patient relations returned no calls until I did an on line excutive search and sent out e mails. I finally spoke to a finance manager that said they must charge 10% of what ins will not pay. I explained they are paying everything and then he changed to he can't trust the ins companies. I had surgery with a Becker top 100 spine surg w no out of pocket expenses. Doin great!  Respond
RID: 1681665
09/01/12 5 5 5 5 Finding Dr. Elowitz was a gift - everything from the first visit to his understanding my situation and arranging the procedure quickly was done with compassion and professionalism. His staff was very responsive. I'm a fan! And, best part - I feel great!
RID: 1532251
08/09/11 3 5 4 5 Great doctor, perfectionist-nurse does not call back post surgically
RID: 1516638
19/08/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Elowitz is awesome! He performed an ACDF surgery on me 2 weeks ago at NY Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center and I don't even know where to start with my praises! I was diagnosed with multilevel herniated cervical discs on 7/6. Called his office for an appointment on 7/7. Met him on 7/13. When we met, he simply pulled out my MRI films, explained thoroughly why I needed surgery, answered all my questions (even the stupid ones), and had his office schedule a surgery within 2 weeks. Aside from the post-surgery pain I expected, I was literally pain-free as soon as I woke up in the recovery room. I walked to the bathroom on my own hours after surgery, checked out from the hospital next day, started recovery from home and was up and about 2 days after. It's day 19 today and I'm feeling great considering my symptoms prior to surgery were so severe! Dr. Elowitz and his team did an EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT job! I am forever grateful!  Respond
RID: 1497852
27/07/11 4 5 5 5 i suffered with severe sciatica from a herniated disc for about 4 years. I spent 2 years in physio & my Dr during that time kept putting me off surgery. Enough was enough & I was referred to Dr Elowitz. He is an amazing Dr. 6 years on I have never felt so good! Long may it last!
RID: 1411578
09/04/11 2 5 5 5 This man is amazing....he knows what he is doing. If you are looking for warm and cuddly, you might be let down. But he is the best. He is very polite and right to the point and knows his stuff. I had neck surgery and everything went perfect. I saw him twice after and that was it... His nurse Nancy is wonderful!!!!!! The women who answer the phone are mean unprofessional and nasty...so have thick skin so you can get to see him...he is worth it"""
RID: 1386331
13/03/11 5 4 5 5 I couldnt walk for about 2years, he came in and saw my MRI and did admit he was conservative, but performed a microdysectomy in Dec 2010,Thanks to Dr Elowitz I can walk without pain, His offices and his nurse practioner are also wonderful I can't say enough. It feels wonderful to walk without pain. Thank you so much Dr Elowitz.
RID: 1328586
05/01/11 3 4 1 3 Physician saw me for the first time and spent a total of less than 10 minutes. He was not thorough with his assessment. I felt hurried!  Respond
RID: 1305656
02/12/10 5 5 5 5 I had 2 previous back surgeries but condition came back. Dr. Elowitz did the XLIF surgery in April 2010, very fast recovery and feel great
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 1240646
31/08/10 4 5 5 5 very good doctor thanksi has surgery 5 week ago and now fill very good. no pain.
RID: 1179838
31/05/10 1 1 1 1 Never examined me or listened to my problem which was occurring. Took one look at my scans and said "This isn't surgical, nothing I can do". Didn't offer any opinion as to how to help nor did he answer questions. The office staff was also quite rude and unhelpful.  Respond
RID: 1054030
10/12/09 5 5 5 5 I saw Dr. Elowitz in the office because of my herniated disc. He has a reputation of being conservative and it sure paid off for me. Another surgeon recommended surgery but Dr Elowitz said I should wait another few weeks. He was right and it got better on its own - avoiding me an unnecessary surgery.
Insurance: CIGNA
Paid (or co-pay): $20
RID: 1043254
25/11/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Elowitz did a 2 level xlif surgery on me 6 weeks ago, i am walking without horrilbl sciaticapain for the first time in years....i feel amazing. of course Dr. Elowitz's compassion and reassuring smile is definitely helpful...
RID: 967681
20/08/09 5 5 5 5 As I had said to Dr. Elowitz at out meeting two weeks after the surgery, he gave me new meaning to the work "walk." As most people will tell you, contemplating back surgery is scary; my experience changed my life. Thank you Dr. Elowitz. L. C. Biscornet
Insurance: Oxford
RID: 720731
12/11/08 5 4 5 5 Dr. Elowitz performed surgery on my back 3 months ago and I am doing very well. I had an XLIF fusion. I received several other opinions but he was the only surgeon who recommended minimally invasive surgery. He was great! I am back to work and the gym. His nurse, Nancy, was really attentive. I was recommended to Dr. Elowitz by a co-worker. I had confidence in him at the initial appointment. The hospital stay was fine and I went home the next day. I did have some back and leg pain for a few weeks but was able to walk the hour a day he advised. Overall I am very happy with the surgery.
RID: 592073
15/05/08 5 4 5 5 To describe Dr. Elowitz's bedside manners as merely "excellent" but be unfair. He was far better than that! As a surgeon he exuded confidence without a trace of arrogance. He was warm and caring, and made me feel that I would not want anyone else operating on me but him. Superb surgeon and super human being.  Respond
RID: 553253
31/03/08 4 5 5 5 Dr. Elowitz performed emergency back surgery on me. He is top notch in every way, but the staff at Beth Israel really sucked and the recovery room nurses twisted me and created a complication to my recovery which continues until today. The attendening nurses on the recovery floor, were not much better, and were rough and couldn't even remove an iv properly without damaging my vein. However, Dr. Elowitz has now moved to another hospital, thank goodness. As far as his demeanor, he met me at the hospital room door as I was being transferred off the stretcher, and arranged for a private room for me, a perk of being head of neurosurgery's patients. He has a calm demeanor which is perfect for a surgeon, and he is polite and respectful. He's a real class act, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to others, or if I had to have additional surgery which I hope I never will, I would use him again in an instant. He just needs a staff that measures up to him.
RID: 334120
31/05/07 3 5 5 Dr. Elowitz operated on my spine (laminectomy). A year later, I am pain-free all of the time and taking no medication. Dr. Elowitz was absolutely wonderful! I'd recommend him to anyone with a serious spinal problem.
See Responses
RID: 137641
12/02/07 3 1 1 Dr. Elowitz never examined me - he pulled out my MRI and told me there is nothing wrong with my spine. Never offered suggestions as to why I had excruciating pain on sitting or walking, never suggested additional tests - told me I likely had a virus. Months later, dynamic XRays show that I have several facet joints rubbing against each other in my lumbar spine as I move. I also seem to have inadequate disc space. It was a totally useless visit.
* - Rating left by a registered user