Dr. Michael M. Massumi

Greater Baltimore Medical Center
Johns Hopkins Hospital
St. Agnes Healthcare
Phone:410-825-5905
Med. School:Univ Of Birmingham, The Med Sch, Birmingham (352-01 Prior 1/71)
Grad. Year: 1982

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 3.2 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 21 reviews. Dr. Michael M. Massumi has a fair overall rating on RateMDs.com. neutral

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: would like to read reviews?    Email me    Answer it

Pain Mgmt / Physical Rehab-related: pain relief, physical rehabilitation, stroke recovery, accident recovery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5361153

18/04/14 1 1 1 1 Massumi lies, he shot me with very strong antiinflamatories 9 times in my lower back, prescribed me anti inflamatories-yet I have heart failure. Um..that's LETHAL! He continued to do so- I refused his shots the next time.. He said he talked to my Dr about a serious misunderstanding- I asked him to verbally verify 3 times-he said yes he talked w/ my Dr. He lied-My Dr said he was told by secretary to talk to her. Now he's withholding the anti inflamatory info when he sent my records to my new pain Dr.. I asked why? He replied -I'll talk to your new Dr. I said no fax them-I have a right as a patient...he said I'd have to pay money for them by law his asst will be calling me. I said how much? he said 6 dollars. I told him My new Dr already faxed a request and he did not send all my info.Now I have to pay? He said yes- WHAT A QUACK! HE COULD HAVE KILLED ME! beware! he's so wrapped up in his $$$ he does not even look at patients records!
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 3623209

03/12/13 2 1 1 1 He was sanctioned for his injection process. Apparently he was giving too many injections too frequently. More than 1 patient(s) complained to the state. His office was closed 3 months due to this. He prescribes a boat load of medications (I am assuming for the money). Lied to me about why he was closing (stated his office had to install special super expensive equipment, only to return 3 months later and all he installed was this little machine 3 feet high with wheels on it...hmmmm you closed for 3 months for that???) He lied to me to get me to write a letter about how he helped me. Made me feel bad for him by telling me that the state was pushing him around telling him how to rx his patients. In reality he was giving us all too many injections, too frequently and not doing it properly. I feel bamboozled. He had me on like 6 medications which I complained about all of the time. Insurance also dropped him. Skeezy doctor---BEWARE!
See Responses

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Michael" to "Michael M."
RID: 2905510
10/10/13 5 4 5 5 Having read the comments on this page I can't agree more. I've been seeing Dr. M since 1993 - twenty years. I have Lupus and more recently nave developed neuropathy. My rheumatologist and family medicine doctor also sing his praises. He has kept me going with very limited need for surgical remedies. I am still walking - albeit with a cane - whereas my cousin - also suffering from Lupus who lives out of State - has been wheelchair bound since 2007. We were diagnosed with Lupus a year apart. I credit Dr. Massumi and his wise choice of meds,, therapy and injections in keeping me independent. I see the same respect and fondness in all his patients for him. He is a great tribute to his profession and we are lucky to have him in Baltimore.
Paid (or co-pay): $55
RID: 2897456
05/10/13 4 5 5 5 My college professor at Goucher referred me to Dr. Massumi as he himself is a patient at Massumi Associates. For three months my elbow had been hurting and I had to give up tennis. No over the counter meds helped. Dr. Massumi was able to pinpoint my problem literally on the first visit. He used a machine that measures nerve conduction and also a computer with ultrasound imaging. It was my radial nerve and it was pinched at my elbow. He then placed medicine by injection around it and prescribed a multi-component cream. I was healed essentially from then on. He sent me to a very capable PT and now in week two all my troubles are history. This doctor is the best I have ever encountered for my sports injuries. I'm back in the swing of things at Goucher thanks to him. His office is very convenient to my school and I am so pleased my professor referred me. I've told our athletic trainer about him and he will be referring other injuries to Dr. Massumi
Paid (or co-pay): $40
RID: 2865642
21/09/13 5 4 5 5 Reading on the reviews I can't agree more on the great skills and wonderful service of Dr. Massumi and his professional staff. I have depended on him for over 15 years to keep me going in the face of significant disabilities from my lupus, peripheral neuropathy and previous stroke. He is a master of his trade - very knowledgeable, a member of Harvard Medical Association and has many degrees in specialties to his credit. He has saved me thousands of dollars - not only are his fees very reasonable and fair but by providing excellent care and simple workable solutions for my many problems he has saved me exorbitant costs of surgery and other expensive hospitalization. I recommend him as the best in his field. He is a tribute to his profession and specialty.
RID: 2828402

01/09/13 5 5 5 5 I was referred to Dr. Massumi for a second opinion. I have a bad hip and the surgeon my family doctor had me see wanted to do a replacement. My cousin had seen Dr. Massumi who managed to provide non-surgical treatment that save her surgery. Well he managed to do the same for me thanks to guided injections with ultrasound. I've had two injections over three months and am no longer limping. It appears from reading on it that most hip pain is not from the bone but rather from the surrounding soft tissues. Maybe a lot of hip surgeries are done unnecessarily too early. I can't be happier. A great doctor and a wonderful clinic atmosphere. he's busy but well worth the visit. His fees are the most reasonable I've encountered in years. Clearly not in it for the money. I strongly recommend him
Respond

04/08/13 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed

07/07/13 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 2697232
29/06/13 5 5 5 5 Excellent all-around doctor. Got the diagnosis right away, got me started on effective meds and I'm good to go. Real competitive pricing, got me in right away. No BS, all business and no hassle. Possibly the best physician and office I've had in over a decade
Insurance: Medicare
Paid (or co-pay): $150
RID: 2693741
25/06/13 5 5 5 5 I've been suffering from neck and shoulder pain for 4 years. After 2 shoulder surgeries and carpal tunnel release my pain got worse. My primary care recommended Dr. Massumi. He has given me new meds and medications with injections. It's been like a miracle. I can't thank him enough. He is the nicest and most talented Doc I've ever known. I'm nearly pain free and back at work
Insurance: Coventry
Paid (or co-pay): $150
RID: 2642481
07/05/13 1 1 1 1 HES IN ALOT OF TROUBLE WITH THE IRS THATS WHY HE SCHEDULES SO MANY PEOPLE  See Responses
RID: 2528929

12/01/13 2 1 1 2 Dr. Massumi is the coldest and most uncaring doctor I have ever been to. I have been asking for copies of my medical records for a month and cannot get his staff to pick up the phone or return my calls. Without ever listening to my medical issues, he put me on a half dozen medications that made me feel worse than I did before. On average, I wait at least an hour after my appointment time to see him. His staff seems to have no concept of how to schedule appointments nor are they helpful. This man is a horrid doctor and I would not send my worst enemy to him.
Insurance: CIGNA
Respond

14/11/12 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed

30/09/12 SYSTEM: 2 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 2238032
12/06/12 1 1 1 5 Not only does he ask personal questions that are not relevant to your treatment but he gives blind injections in both neck and back. I believe in the beginning he does try to help, but in the end its about the money and how much he can make off of you. I had injections for years before I found out the damage that was done to my back because of the injections. He does not care about his patients and should not be allowed to practice.
RID: 2000714
09/04/12 5 4 5 5 Dr. Massumi is extremely knowledgeable and an excellent doctor. He stays current on treatment options and explains all options available as a course of treatment. I consider him an excellent doctor as he has providing me with outstanding medical care.
Paid (or co-pay): $40
RID: 1556917
09/10/11 5 5 5 5 Best docotor ever. I have suffered from back and neck pain for 11 years. Have had three back surgeries. I wish I hadn't Dr. Massumi has managed to contorl my pain and get me more active than I've ever been thanks to injection therapy and new medications. Others never told me about these modern drugs. I can't thnak him and his staff enough. They are head and shoulders above all doctors and hospitals. I have told all people iwth pain about Dr. Massumi. He's experienced, knows his trade and is very effective and very competitively priced
Paid (or co-pay): $350
RID: 1540489
18/09/11 4 4 4 5 Hard to follow but knows what he is talking about... Far less money then any other back doctor I have seen. I feel he is trying everything he can to get me better and takes the time to care about your life, I do not feel like another cog in the machine.
RID: 1512884
15/08/11 2 1 2 2 Asked many personal questions, which did not relate to my treatment.
RID: 1305706
02/12/10 1 1 1 1 ONLY SEEN HIM ONE TIME HE TOOK ME OFF ALL MY MEDS N PUT ME ON WHAT HE WANTED ME TO TAKE WHICH EVERYTHING HE GAVE ME I COULDNT TAKE CUZ OF BEING ALLLERGIC TO NSAIDS N BEING ON ASTHMA MEDS N AFTER 25 PHONE CALLS TO HIS OFFICE W/O ANY RESPONSE HIS SECRETARY CALLS ME N DROPS ME BECAUSE I WONT LET HIM GIVE ME INJECTIONS W/O A FLORISCOPE N W/O MY MEDS! HE SUCKS! HE DONT BELONG IN BUSSINESS AS A DOCTOR HE HAS NO HEART!
Insurance: Medicaid / Medi-Cal
RID: 919331
22/06/09 1 1 2 2 He has no bedside manner, he's not friendly and he speaks in doctors term. You never know what he's saying. He does not explain your treatment he just performs them. He also does not listen at all. His front desk administration person is not friendly at all. His treatment worked for a short while, but, he gives you to many prescriptions.
Insurance: MAMSI
RID: 893468
21/05/09 4 3 1 1 Massumi is a great doctor, if you want absolutely no say in your treatment program and are looking to be put on a ton of drugs that make you feel like crap. I took a look around the waiting room the last time I was there and everyone looked like they were strung out, probably on a similar concoction to what he tried to put me on. When I tried to protest being put on not only much, much stronger narcotic meds than what I had been taking previously, but also a host of other drugs like Lyrica, sleeping pills, Soma, and about ten others, I was told that I needed to just do as the doctor told me. I asked for a second opinion after I wound up in the hospital following a visit at their office, and was told by a very reliable doctor that had I taken all of that crap in one day like he had prescribed it, I probably would have stopped breathing and died. Makes you feel good to know that you're doctor doesn't care about you, and would rather see you keel over and die than admit he is wrong.
RID: 441189
08/11/07 2 1 1 1 This is the most uncaring physician I have ever met. He lacks empathy for his patients and treats you as if your are drug seeking. I felt that he was charging my insurance company for injections that I did not receive and the type of injections he supposedly did perform are usually done (by MOST reputable physicians) under fluoroscopy, not by blind sticks. I feel he takes advantage of patients suffering from chronic pain and benefits financially.  Respond
RID: 263413
06/04/07 4 1 4 Injections are very painful and expensive and this Dr. makes a killing off of giving all of his patients injections. Everyone I have spoken to in the waiting area seem to be getting the same treatment and also agree he is not a very nice person. I felt traumatized every time I left his office.  Respond
RID: 136545
11/02/07 5 5 5 Excellent, caring doctor, never gives up on your problems & works with you toward new solutions.Extremely knowledgeable.
* - Rating left by a registered user