Dr. Mark M. Alwan

Grad. Year:

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 21/01/14    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.4 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 32 reviews. Dr. Mark M. Alwan has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 3595926
05/11/13 3 1 1 3 BURNED URETER DURING HYSTERECTOMY!! If you are thinking of having Dr. Alwan perform your hysterectomy, think again! The night after my hysterectomy, I was screaming in pain. I had the nurse call Dr. Alwan. Three hours later, I was prescribed more medication. The following day, he didn't even come to see me in the hospital. He just discharged me over the phone!!! Three days post surgery, I was in his office in excruciating pain. He seemed very nervous and advised me to go to the emergency room. I was eventually advised that Dr. Alwan destroyed my ureter. It was BURNED and totally shut. I have had five painful procedures in the last ten months to try and fix this mess! I have been in constant pain and have had four stents that extend from inside my kidney to inside my bladder. As of now, ten months post surgery, my ureter has not healed, and I still have a stent!! In three months, this last stent will be removed, and a reconstructive surgery may have to be performed.
Insurance: CIGNA
Respond

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Mark" to "Mark M."
RID: 2571055
26/02/13 5 5 5 5 I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Alwan and his staff during my pregnancy. I was originally seeing another OBGYN at the beginning of my pregnancy but switched because I didn't feel as if she was providing the time I needed. I switched to dr Alwan because he has a nurse and PA that sees patients which allows more one on one time with each patient. Every time I would go to my OB appts whoever I saw would take the time to talk to me and answer any questions I may have. At the end of my pregnancy I had a few complications and Dr. Alwan made sure I understood everything and was comfortable with the plan of action. The office staff is wonderful as well. They are all very helpful and polite. I would recommend Dr Alwan to anyone. I will be seeing him as my new gyn and will definitely go back to him when/if I have another baby. I can't say enough good things about Dr and his staff!
RID: 2563890
18/02/13 5 5 5 5 Wonderful bedside manner. One of the best doctors I have seen in a while. He is very caring, listens and allows me to be involved in the decision making process. He performed a hysterectomy and bladder lift and I was back to normal after 2 weeks. I would recommend him to my family and friends
RID: 2528843
12/01/13 5 5 5 5 Amazing! Wonderful! Kind! You will be in good hands! I felt very safe and his staff are excellent.  Respond
RID: 1562675
17/10/11 3 1 4 5 First of all, let me say this; Dr. Alwan is very experienced and it shows. I had two prior DNCs with different doctors and my recovery was extremely painful. With Dr. Alwan, I had one miscarriage and the recovery following the DNC he performed was painless and there was no bleeding. He delivered my two children and did it superbly. I admit, you usually have to wait longer than an hour at the office to see him or the nurse practitioner. I think they overbook. It's true that the staff will usually schedule you with a nurse practitioner because you can get in sooner but you can request to make an appointment to see him and they will do that for you. It may be at a time that may not be convenient for you but he is in high demand. Also, if after hours you want to call for an urgent matter, he won't call you back. I called back in January or 2011 because I had a fever and wanted to know if I should take tylenol. I didn't get a call back and opted in not taking tylenol.
RID: 1428924
29/04/11 2 1 2 2 Dr. Alwan scheduled an induction and then didn't show to deliver my child. He didn't come to see me until several hours later. I still had to pay him even though the hospital staff dr. had to deliver my baby. The first time I met him he told me he prided himself on being on time to appointments. Well he missed the most important one. I also heard from some that work at that hospital that Dr. Alwan is often late or does not show for his delivers at this particular hospital.  Respond
RID: 1237215
25/08/10 5 5 5 5 Dr. Alwan delivered my first baby 1 1/2 years ago. He was wonderful, he showed up when it was time and was very upbeat and confident when he saw me (it was 2am or something like that). Throughout my pregnancy, he was patient and thoughtful. He not only answered all my questions and concerns, he literally made sure to sit down and relaxed with me at every visit to make sure all my questions were addressed. After my baby was born, I had to change my medical group due to my pediatrician being in a different group. But now that I'm expecting my second child, of course, I changed back to Dr. Alwan and now I'm able to keep my first born with his own physician. I started seeing Dr. Alwan right away when I found out I was pregnant and I must tell you, the second time around is just as wonderful so far. I recommended Dr. Alwan to all my friends and family. He is a true veteran to his practice and I appreciate all he has to contribute to the medical field. JTran  Respond
RID: 1184239
07/06/10 5 5 5 5 He is simply the best. I received the best care of my life. Yes, he is busy – face it - if he had only one patient – that in its self would be quite telling! He saw me on emergency basis. The day before he saw me I was about to go to the emergency for what I thought was appendicitis attack, crippling pain. After I realized it was not my little ole appendix I saw Dr. Alwan immediately. He agreed to see me at moments notice and told me what his diagnosis was. He told me what my choices were and I looked him straight in the eye and asked, “What would you say to me if I were your sister?” He responded and I decided what I wanted to do. I gave him a list of questions before I went into and got out of surgery so that I would not have any doubts. Thank you Dr. Alwan you are the best!
RID: 1174630
22/05/10 5 5 5 5 always good feeling and confident he'll fix the problem. stays in the room for as lomg as I need him polite kind and makes me feel he cares.Laureen
RID: 1156606
25/04/10 5 4 5 5 I was extremely apprehensive of going to a male OBGYN for the first time and after my experience with Dr. Alwan, I will never go anywhere else. By far, THE BEST, most professional, courteous, caring OB I've ever been to. He truly takes his time in explaining and answering all of your questions which is why I only gave punctuality a 4...if you don't have an early morning appointment, you will wait. Although I didn't mind too much since I know he gives others the time and attention they deserve. He came highly recommended to me and I will refer him to anyone who asks. In the end, I found out that quite a few women I know, also go to him and absolutely raved!
RID: 1150165
15/04/10 5 4 5 5 Dr.Alwan is truly the best doctor. He is very percise with his work and very passionate about what he does. The staff is very knowledgeable and answers any questions i may have.The overall rating i give him is 11 out of 10
Insurance: Pacificare
RID: 1085919
21/01/10 5 5 5 5 Dr. Alwan did my hysterectomy recently. He is the best doctor I have ever had, hands down!
RID: 1039207
20/11/09 5 4 5 5 Dr. Alwan and his associates have always been very helpful and knowledgable.
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 983601
09/09/09 1 1 1 1 I had an experienc several years ago with Dr. Mark Alwan one that I will never forget. I lost my child at full term. He was never avalible as a dr. he always had a nurse practioner taking his place. I think his patients became a number. The more he could get in the more money for him but the less care you are going to recieve as his patient. I brought my concerns to the nurse which were written off as nothing and in the end my child isn't here with me she is burried in the ground. I know that life happens but when you are to be followed by a dr. to have regular check ups and make sure things are going as they should be then your dr should make more than one of your appts. to make sure that this is whats happening. Do to the lack of avaliblity and care I lost my child.  Respond
RID: 884692
11/05/09 4 4 5 5 I first saw Dr. Alwan as a young, scared pregnant 15 year old. I am now 34 and he has delivered my two boys. I will never go to another OB/GYN for as long as he is still in practice. He has never been anything but polite and wonderful and very knowledgable. There have been times over the past 19 years that his practice hasn't taken my insurance but that never mattered to me. I've paid cash to continue seeing him every year.
RID: 880008
06/05/09 4 3 5 5 Dr. Alwan just delivered my fourth child (all c-section), and it was my first time going to him as we had relocated. He was very knowledgable, honest, and upfront. I appreciated his kind demeanor and his ability to give medical care and advice without letting his opinion interfere. I definitely preferred his office staff out in Chino Hills to the Upland team. They were personable and kind, and very patient when situations required that I bring all of the children with me to the visit. Dr. Alwan was as thorough as I needed, yet didn't bore me with details that I could read in a book or that I knew from four pregnancy's experience. He treated my time as precious. His ability as a surgeon is superb. He is careful and thoughtful, and he treats each surgery individually and doesn't act like "it's routine". I got his full attention at every visit, for every minute I was there, and the same during the surgery. His ability to focus & make objective analysis of my specific needs is hard to find
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 816421
06/03/09 5 5 5 5 I was very impressed and am forever grateful to Dr. Alwan for his excellent care. He listened carefully and was a skilled surgeon. He performed a supra-cervical hysterectomy and I expereinced an outstanding recovery.
RID: 783537
06/02/09 5 5 5 5 I have had Dr. Alwan since 1992, and I was his first set of delivered Triplets. He is fantastic and everyone I recommend him to is very pleased.He is the best doctor I have ever had I would rate him an 11 out of 10!!
Insurance: Pacificare
RID: 780361
03/02/09 2 2 2 2 Actually, i dont like going to this doctor. I dont usualy see him that much. When i see him and his staff or even nurse practitioner, they didnt even tell me what to do, what to expect, what to eat etc. Its my first baby, i dont know what to do and what to expect. Now im with a new doctor who is more caring than they are. I never regret moving from this doctor to another.
RID: 779872
03/02/09 5 5 5 5 The best Doctor! I can't even began. I was seeing another Doctor the majority of my pregnancy when I decided to switch at 7 months because her c-section rate was 75%!. I met with Dr. Alwan and he eventually delivered my beautiful daughter for me. I wanted a natural birth and he was completely understanding of all my wants and needs. He would sit there for as long as I needed to make sure all my questions were answered. He is wonderful! He's very calm and knows what he's doing. I'm very thankful i found him. I never had to wait long either except one time and he was so apologetic for it because he had got stuck in surgery. Great OBGYN!
RID: 742626
12/12/08 5 5 5 5 Dr. Alwan is the best doctor I've ever been to. From my first visit to my delivery, Dr. Alwan was great. I would reccomend him to any woman who is expecting! He has great bedside manner and even came into the office on his day off when I was having problems. He is so helpful and was exceptional at explaining everything that was happening.
RID: 713398
31/10/08 4 4 4 4 I have been seeing Dr Alwan for approximately 15 years. He is the best OBGYN I've ever seen. He does the little extra things that make a patient feel he really cares. He was the doctor I used during my pregnancy with my oldest son and I've been seeing him every since. I've even changed my medical group to make sure I could stay with Dr. Alwan.
RID: 695750
03/10/08 5 5 5 5 I was referred to Dr. Alwan almost a year ago. I am so impressed with him. He is very professional and knowledgable. He has a great bedside manner. He makes you feel at ease and answers all of your questions. When you make an appt the office staff does the best they can to get you the one that is right for you. Also once you arrive for your appt "your" time is valuable and they actually don't have you wait around while they get everyone and their little sister in before you! I LOVE THAT! If you are looking for a great doctor you need to see Dr Mark Alwan..
RID: 675275
28/08/08 5 5 5 5 Insurance: Southwest Administrators-ppo... I love Dr. Alwan, I will not trade him for another obgyn... I am 36 yrs old and ever since I was 15 yrs old I would always get really heavy periods along with bad abdominal pain. He performed a proceedure called thermal ablation, and a D&C and I dont bleed anymore! Dr. Alwan takes his time explaining things to you and right before surgery, he was at my bedside reassuring me that I was in great hands... and I was! Best Dr. I have ever had... I highly recommend him to others.  Respond
RID: 601087
28/05/08 5 4 5 5 I LOVE Dr. Alwan!!! He is very kind and pleasant. At first, due to his very busy and hectic schedule, I was seeing the nurse midwife. She is terrific as well!!! My husband and I felt very comfortable and confident with her (even if we would have never met Dr. Alwan). I would certainly recommend Dr. Alwan and Juanita to any pregnant couple.
RID: 589887
14/05/08 3 4 5 5 Dr. Alwan is very caring and helpful. I make appointment with the nurse practitioner when I don't have any pressing questions. But the nurse practitioner is very good and very nice too. If she's not sure her answer, she would double check her answer and reply me later. The students are nice too. They performed some basic tasks which are hard to mess up. The girl to goes in their office to do ultrasound is kinda dizzy, but still nice. She would accidentally say offensive things with no ill intentions. Like when she said that I'm lucky I wasn't carrying twins. She didn't know that I lost twins in my fifth month two years ago. I can see how she could get herself in trouble in some situations. The women at the appointment desk are very nice in the Upland office, but don't expect the ones in the Rancho office with smiles all the time. Even so, they all get the job done and done right. :)
RID: 568744
17/04/08 2 5 3 5 Dr. Alwan is great. I don't care for the students that work in the office sometimes. They lost one of my lab samples. The office staff put a note in my file not to have the students take my stuff anymore and there have not been any other problems since.
RID: 481770
11/01/08 5 4 5 5 I WAS REFERRED TO HIM BY A COWORKER AND I ABSOLTUY LOVED HIM !! HE WAS THE ONLY FACE I WANTED TO SEE THE MORNING I WAS IN LABOR !! HE WAS THE ONLY ONE I FELT THAT COULD MAKE THAT TIME BETTER !!! I CANT WAIT FOR MY NEXT BABY I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH HIM AN D I MADE MOST OF MY APPS WITH HIM NOT THE NURSE PRACTIONER !! I FELT SO COMFPTABLE WITH HIM ON DELIVERY DAY  Respond
RID: 433252
23/10/07 1 2 2 2 My wife is pregnant with our first child and our PCP referred us to Dr. Alwan's office for OB GYN care. After several months and visits without even meeting the Dr., we asked for, and received, an appointment with him. He was very nice and answered our numerous questions. We informed him of a few problems we had with his staff and again, he was very nice and apologized for any inconvenience. A week later we get a certified letter from his office terminating care. So now we're 6 months into our first baby and seeking another provider. Best of luck if he's your doctor...just don't complain about the care you receive.
Insurance: HealthPartners
RID: 427986
12/10/07 5 5 5 5 Dr is very knowledgeable and caring. He gives you his full attention, and explains everything  Respond
RID: 384259
12/08/07 5 5 5 5 Dr. Alwan helped me get rid of incredible pelvic pain and periods after he performed a supracervical hysterectomy . He listened to all my concerns and fears and I feel great so far (is been 3 weeks since the surgery) . The best doctor I have ever had.
RID: 219583
21/03/07 5 5 5 Dr. Alwan is a Godsend. I was told several years ago that my chances of conceiving naturally were impossible. After 8 years of trying to get pregnant, my co-worker referred me to her OBGYN (Dr. Alwan). I had my 1st appt in December 2005. By March 2006, I was pregnant. He was wonderful throughout my pregnancy and even more amazing during my delivery. I had no epidural, no pain medication, no cuts/tears, no stitches. I actually gave my daughter his daughter's name. If/when I have another child, I want Dr. Alwan to deliver. He is the best and his staff is great too!
* - Rating left by a registered user