Dr. Melvin D. Koplow

Grad. Year: 1971

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.6 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 40 reviews. Dr. Melvin D. Koplow has an excellent overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Melvin" to "Melvin D."
RID: 1462652
12/06/11 5 4 5 5 Dr. Koplow may have a nasty bedside manner at times, but he is the absolute BEST pediatrician out there. His love for children cannot be touched by anyone. He's extremely intelligent, always diagnoses correctly and is there for you no matter what time of day or night.
RID: 1408905

06/04/11 3 1 1 1 This doctor is the absolute rudest I have ever encountered. I took my 5 month old for his first visit, and as I was filling out paperwork, the doctor stormed out of the back and started yelling at me in front of the entire waiting room regarding a vaccine. He had mistaken me for another parent, and when brought to his attention he said snidely that he was tired, and that was it. As if that was not enough, he was rude to me and my child during his "exam" in what was a make-shift exam room made out of a closet. Furthermore, there is a clause in his privacy notice that you sign, stating that he has ownership of pictures and videos that are taken in his office, which considering the placement of the notice, I found to be sneaky. I would never return to this doctor and would discourage anyone from even considering taking their children to him.
Insurance: Medicaid / Medi-Cal
See Responses

06/06/10 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1172022

18/05/10 1 1 2 3 took my son for shots yesterday which yes he is behind but due to him having and operation and being sick doctor made me sign a paper stating he was getting certain shots when in fact that was not what he had given my son and when i said something to defend myself he caused a scene cursing and ripping my son out of my arms then continued to be rough and call me a bad parent he blocked the doorway for me to leave and when i left the office i was hysterical crying ive never been talked to like that in my life and on top of that he dicussed another patients personal life with me a visit before because i knew them very un professional, arrogant and rough with children, curses infront of children office is not child friendly there was pictures on his wall of the family guy charcters with shirts off in bras not something i want my child seeing....
Insurance: Medicaid / Medi-Cal
RID: 858596
11/04/09 5 5 5 5 When your child is extremely sick and you're looking for an exceptional Doctor who will diagnose your child ACCURATELY and give you the support and confidence you need, look no further Dr. Koplow is the pediatrician who will meet all your needs. Besides Dr. Koplow being a great Dr. on an everyday basis he is an unbelievable Dr. when there is an emergency. My daughter is four years old. I had two emergency incidents that I thought I was going to die. Dr. Koplow was there for my daughter and me. He diagnosed her correctly, educated me, and led me in the right direction. I can't say enough about how much I appreciate him and trust him. He truly cares for his patients. I do not know what I would do without him. P.S. my daughter loves him.
RID: 611082
09/06/08 5 3 5 5 Dr. Koplow was my pediatrician (I am now 36 and I still see him on occasion.). I take both of my kids to him because I trust him implicitly. Yes, he can be "abrasive" at times but he has such a big heart. He has a genuine love for children and has much knowledge. He has offices in both Brooklyn and Staten Island. He may get busy at times, but that should speak volumes about what a fantastic doctor he is!
RID: 607953
05/06/08 5 4 5 5 i have been a patient of his for 20 years, my first doctor. he has helped me through the years as a great doctor. very knowledgeable and a great sense of humor. the man is a great individual and has helped me medicinally and has helped me grow with his words of wisdom. great man.  Respond
RID: 547495
25/03/08 4 4 2 5 As a 1st time mom, its very scary. Dr. Koplow has horrible bedside manners. The 1st 4 months of my sons life we were in and out of his office. I have never met a Dr. that was so concerned and so helpful. There were times where Dr. Koplow even called my house to check up on my son and even at times had to calm me down from being so scared. I had seen him in both offices and they take you when you need to be taken, there is no "Sorry, we can't see your child, the office is closed, " He will always see your child. He even has a web cite that is so helpful and knowledgable, I even passed it on to friends. I love Dr. Koplow and will reccommend him to any one.   Respond
RID: 527779
01/03/08 5 5 5 5 As a former patient of Dr. Koplow i was higly pleased.. although at times he may seem a little unpleasant, he can definatly grow on you. he is the only doctor i know who speaks the truth and he does not beat around the bush . he tells you how it is. i would highly reccommend him to anyone! my parents entrusted him with my life as i will do one day with my own children.HE IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST!!  Respond
RID: 507611
07/02/08 2 3 1 1 This is the nastiest man I have ever met. I have never be treated so disrespectfully in my life. Not only did he insult me, but he insulted my former peditrician who he does not know, nor knows anything about. We are new to the area and my old Dr. did things differntly than he does them. I did not feel that was grounds for yelling and insulting me. An intelligent conversation would have been jusst fine. When I felt I had been abused enough he stood in the doorway of the room and would not let me leave as he continued to yell and make a scene in his own office. He never even introduced himself, nor did he really care who I was. I got no help with my sick child and had to find another doctor who could see me the same day to treat my baby.
RID: 497730
28/01/08 5 5 5 5 One think I would like to say, Dr.Koplow is far the best Doctor on Staten Island and I have been to alot of doctors,whenever I go to his office yeah i wait but its worth it, I go in there with a lot of anxiety and he grounds me and calms me down.As a first time mother I need someone who is thorough, he takes the time with me to sit in his office talks about what the problem is and then turns on his computer pulls out his magic web page and lets me sit there a listen to other highly experienced doctors have to say. The other reason why I LOVE Dr. Koplow is that he is not about pouring medications into my daughters mouth. I can call Dr. Koplow at 4:00am and he returns my call with in secs, and then after i speak to him he gives me his personal cell number. HOW MANY DOCTORS DO THAT?.. NONE, all i can say is that Dr. koplow is number one in my book  Respond
RID: 479362
08/01/08 5 5 5 5 What other doctor would give parents his cell phone number? This doctor is incredible and I am so lucky to have him for my preemie twins. I don't know what I would do without him, and of course, Flo. Flo is amazing and works so well with him (and he can be a pain in the ass). I was afraid of him when I first met him, but I now find him very comforting. He may not have the swanky office like some of the other peds on SI do, but you get to see him each and every time, not some PA or associate.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 453511
30/11/07 5 5 5 5 Dr. Koplow is the Best Doctor in the World,I have 4 children and he has taken care of all of them. He is so caring He is unbelieve, he cares for each and every child he sees in his office, He takes time to talk to you, You can call him anytime and he talks to you and you can always reach him. He is the Best and will always be the BEST DOCTOR.. Dr. Koplow you are #1
RID: 440910
07/11/07 5 5 5 5 DR Koplow is the only that I would ever trust for my children. My family has been using him for 30 years. I now use him for my 3 kids. He takes a complete interest in the welfare of your child. He is patient and would call u back at any hour of the night. He is knowledgeable and is on top of whatever is out there whether new or old. He always takes the right precaution which helps me sleepo better at nigt. i would and do recommend him to everyone who asks.
RID: 349507
20/06/07 5 5 5 Dr. Koplow is one of the most knowledgable and compasionate doctors I have ever been in contact with. I live in VA now but every time I have to take one of my girls to the doctor I wish I could take them to see Dr. Koplow. He is an amazing man and provider. I have never met another pediatrician with such knowledge or heart!  Respond
RID: 166401

02/03/07 5 5 5 could get any better personality. wonderful md, understanding and patient  Respond
RID: 150288

20/02/07 5 5 5 I would be an honor to recomment Doctor Koplow to anyone who needs a pediatrician. Doctor Koplow has been my husband's doctor since the moment he was born as well as for his 3 other siblings. Now that my husband and I have had our first baby - we would go to no one other than him. He is highly competent, experienced and wise. I feel that my child is in the right hands. Even though some people write that you need to occasionally wait for him, I personally had the opposite happen, where Dr. Koplow was waiting for me to arrive at his office because of a minor emergency. His patients always come first and he is a no nonsence kind of guy.
RID: 115650

27/01/07 4 5 5 Dr. Koplow also has a Brooklyn office. He was my dr. as a child and I have been bringing my son to him since he was a newborn. I trust him implicitly. I am pregnant and will continue to use him. The best!
RID: 111408

24/01/07 5 5 5 i just want to say that D.r melvin koplow is the best docter for kids . well first off all he was my family docter untill now and i resently had a babby girl so right away i wanted my babbys docter to be dr koplow couse he nows wat he is saying .and really he is never worried if he will get payed couse he doesnt care for the money he cares for my babby...i just recommend everybody to take dr koplow for there kids docter couse he is the only #1 docter in n.y. and wen ever you go to his office he might take a long time but geuss wat it is worth it and it payes  Respond
RID: 83434

14/01/07 3 5 5 I LOVE DR.KOPLOW VERY MUCH AND WILL USE HIM FOR ALL MY CHILDREN. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A GREAT DR, USE HIM PLEASE THANK YOU.
RID: 74200

26/12/06 5 5 5 i used to be afraid of him when I first started taking my daughter there, now both of my daughters go, he is wonderful, caring & I am lucky to have a dr like him taking care of my girls.
RID: 70864

14/12/06 3 5 5 All I have to say is GOD BLESS DR. KOPLOW. He is a wonderful doctor. Don't be fooled by his demeaner, he genuinely cares about children. My son was hospitalized with a serious illness as a small child, I realized what a truly special doctor he is when I saw the level of care and concern he demonstrated. You cannot ask for a better pediatrician.
RID: 55708
11/11/06 5 5 5 My children are 9 & 7. I have been using Dr. Koplow since they were born. I since moved to New Jersey and travel back and forth to Staten Island to see him. I will NEVER take my children to see another doctor. Any peditrician can treat a healthy child and give immunizations but when there is a problem or health issue, YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO BE IN HIS CARE. He is a no-nonesence doctor. His main priority is the child and the childs welfare. If someone has a problem with him it is because they didn't follow his instructions (like finishing a prescription or acted foolishly when it came to their own childs care)....he has no tolerance for it because it effects the child. Don't be mistaken by his bed side manners...he is truely a wonderful man...He is a saint and loves and care very much for children. WE LOVE YOU DR. KOPLOW! Thank you for all your sacrafice, hard work and dedication to our precious children.
RID: 53779
01/11/06 2 5 5 Dr. Koplow is very, very, VERY unique. He is truly a medical professional who keeps up with all the newest and latest medical findings. He does like to hear himself talk and he can be incredibly dismissive of your time and concerns, but I am led to believe this is in the best interests of the parents who worry too much. He is exceptionally bright and you can talk to him about any subject at all. Don't be put off by the amount of time you have to spend waiting around, because when it's your turn he will spend as much time with you as you need. Overall, he is really a find and it's no wonder that so many people have stuck with him for so many years.
RID: 50824
17/10/06 5 5 5 Dr. Koplow has been my children's doctor since they were born and he's the best.  Respond
RID: 47403
25/09/06 5 5 5 i have been using Dr. koplow as my son doctor sence hes born. and he was also my husbands doctor when he was a child. i have never had a problem with him ever i think that he is the best doctor any parent could ever use for there child.  Respond
RID: 47264
25/09/06 5 5 5 I have been going to Dr.Koplow from the time I was a child and now I am the farther of 4 and we still see him. He has always been there when we needed him anytime of the day or night. i now live in NJ and still make the trip to Staten Island to see DR.Koplow.
RID: 44289
08/09/06 4 5 5 I started with Doc. Koplow when our daughter was born. Then took our son, when he was born...I'll tell you all he is the best in the field!!!. He help our daughter while she was in the hospital and treated us like she was the only patient he had. Give your family my best, for letting them share you with us.  Respond
RID: 42719
28/08/06 5 5 5 DR KOPLOW IS THE BEST DR. I HAVE EVER WENT TO MY CHILDREN ARE IN THE BEST HANDS. I WOUL NOT TRADE HIM FOR ANYONE ELSE I WILL STICK WITH HIM FOR AS LONG AS HE WILL STAY IN PRACTICE.
RID: 42371
25/08/06 5 5 5 THE BEST. I WENT TO DOC KOPLOW WHEN I WAS A CHILD NOW I'M 22 AND MY 5 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER SEE HIM. I'VE MOVE AND I STILL TRAVEL THE HOUR AND A HALF TO SEE HIM. EXCELLENT  Respond
RID: 40609
13/08/06 5 5 5 THE BEST DOCTOR AROUND - CANNOT FIND ONE BETTER OR MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE. YOU CANNOT FIND ANY BETTER FOR YOUR CHILD. WE MOVED OUT OF SI TO PA AND HE IS THE ONLY DR. I WOULD EVER TAKE MY SON TO.
RID: 40239
10/08/06 5 5 5 Dr. Koplow was my pediatrician up until the age of 21! I am now 34 yrs old, still live in Brooklyn, NY and wish i could still use him as my primary physician!  Respond
RID: 36831
19/07/06 5 5 5 Best Dr. in the world.Takes care of our 4 kids. We travel from Pa. to see him.We would travel across the country if need be.Knowledgable and friendly goes the extra mile.Kids health is primary concern, money is last if any concern.
RID: 35879
13/07/06 5 5 5 He has been my four daughters doctor for 17 years.I never have to worry he truly knows all. He saved my daughter's life. He is the most wonderful caring person in the world may God Bless him and his family always. We love Dr. Koplow.  Respond
RID: 32644
18/06/06 4 5 5 from the time i was 4 years old and my lil sister was born my 3 sisters and i have been going to dr koplow and love him !! when i turned 18 i still went to him until my ins wouldnt pay for a pediatrician anymore i miss him !! if i still lived in ny i would with out a doubt bring my daughter to him !! he saved my lil sisters life i would reccomend him to any one !!!
RID: 29977

10/05/06 4 5 5 He was my doctor and now is my son's doctor. He is very knowledgeable and will answer all of your questions. He is always available by phone. Up until my son was one month old, I tried another doctor that was a lot closer to home. I quickly learned that it is worth the drive to Dr. Koplow's office. There is no substitute for experience and he certainly has a lot of it.
Insurance: Oxford
Paid (or co-pay): $10
RID: 29035

27/04/06 3 4 4 Yes, he has a tendancy to talk a lot and you might even be in his office for a long time BUT it is worth the wait. He is a great doctor, always available and knows what he's talking about!
RID: 12746

24/09/05 5 5 5 EXCELLENT DOCTOR! JUST HAS TO LOOK AT YOUR CHILD AND HE KNOWS WHAT WRONG
RID: 9934

29/07/05 4 5 5 He is the best pediatrician around, head of Maimonides also. I moved out of NY, but still bring children to him!
RID: 6753

17/04/05 3 5 5 Found him to be very knowledge and always available. Would see patient at times when he did not have office hours. Always called back when called when he did not have hours. Would always talk to parent. Had a sense of humor. I have moved and never found a doctor like him. Miss him  Respond
RID: 6373

21/03/05 1 1 2 He has no bedside manner rude as anything to parents. Always have to wait for about 2 hrs. Don't understand why he makes appointments never even sticks halfway to them. Definitely would not reccommend.
* - Rating left by a registered user