Rate Dr. Timothy A. Garvey

Dr. Timothy A. Garvey's Ratings

Very disappointing and frustrating. Had all my records/scans with me and all my paperwork filled out and still waited 1/2 hour before being taken to exam room. After seeing 2 other people and and waiting almost 2 hours in between, Dr. Garvey finally came in and with another person and gave me less than 10 minutes of his time. He looked at my scans, asked a few questions, and told me what he thought. He didn't really explain my situation or answer my questions. He made me feel like I wasn't in enough pain to be seeing him, and I was wasting his time. He couldn't get out of the room fast enough. I can't speak to his intelligence or skill, but I thought his bedside manner was horrible. They warn you when you make the appointment that you should expect to be there around 2 hours. Why does that have to be the case? The whole check-in, exam, and results took about 25 minutes. Why do they feel it is ok to make people sit around for 2-1/2 hours? Would never recommend Dr. Garvey or this clinic.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2125718].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 20, 2013

Dr. Garvey went above and beyond the normal scope of research required for a patient, in order to provide me with a recommendation for treatment. He has been one of the most responsive and proactive doctors I have ever known. He is a true jewel in the Medical Arena today. He has recommended that I try several approaches(physical therapy, steroid injection, and others) before considering surgery. He truly wants to provide what is best for the patient.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2125717].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 20, 2013

I was referred to the TCSC by my doctor, who was under the impression that I may be a good candidate for back surgery. I found the staff to be average, they somehow managed to misplace my MRI and the receptionist made people wait while she chatted away with one patient. I found Dr. Garvery to be excellent though, I knew within 10 minutes that I would not need back surgery. All these articles online about TCSC doing unnecessary surgeries have to be taken with a grain of salt. Dr. Garvery told me that spinal surgery was always a last resort and he would not consider it with me until I had exhausted a lot of other options. Looking for an honest opinion (and doctor?) See Dr. Garvery, he's a straight shooter and struck me as being very honest and helpful.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2125716].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 7, 2011

if you are getting a spinal fusion done, go to dr. garvey. he worked on mine and the results were amazing

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2125715].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 17, 2011

Dr. Garvey is the most compassionate Doctor I've ever had. After having 2 back surgerys by him and facing another,I would not change doctors. No body is perfect at any skill and yes I noticed that someone said he slipped during surgery. Yes SxxT happens,but considering all the success storys including mine, I would recommend Dr. Garvey over and over!! His staff is the greatest. Unfortunately growing older and due to the original injury and the impact that fusion causes has put me back into that arena again. I can only pray that this wonderful Doctor and his staff do their magic again. God does answer prayers and I know if my time on earth is not over the surgery will be successful.My faith in God is strong and although i'm not perfect I leave it all in his and Dr Garvery's skilled hands.Also once you have a fusion,you cannot jump to artifical disc's. This is unfortunate but the research wasn't there in 2002 & 2003. Thank you.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2125714].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 5, 2010

I had surgery by Dr. Garvey in 1996 and just came across this string. Unfortunately, in my case, Dr. Garvey slipped during surgery and severed the dural sac around my spine and cut all of the nerves to my hands. The pain when I woke up was excruciating. I am lucky I was not paralayzed. Had he slipped any further I would have been. I came across this string because again I am looking to see what can be done about the pain and it definitely would not be the barbaric procedure of a fusion. Do your research, the artificial disc surgery is the way to go.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2125713].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 23, 2009

I had gone to several Dr's with thoracic back pain. They told me I had muscle spasms, even though they would paralyze me from walking. I went on a referral to Dr Garvey who did a variety of tests to find out I had 3 herniated discs in my thoracic spine. I thank God for Dr Garvey he is an outstanding Dr.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2125712].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

I had a spinal fusion performed by Dr. Garvey. I had such sucessful results that I refer anyone I know who has back issues to Dr. Garvey. I was told by the surgeon who did a failed back surgery on me in Aug. 2007 that I needed to just live with the pain. I eventually needed 40 mgrams of methadone to treat the pain. I went to the University of Iowa where I was told to go home get a part time job and get off the meds. The doctor said that since I had had 3 back surgeries there was nothing he could do. I went to Dr. Garvey, he had me have frontal x-rays taken and it showed I had scoliosis. He scheduled me for the fusion surgery of L2, L3 and L4. The surgery took the pain away and I am able to walk without a cane. I no longer need the methadone. I thank God for finding Dr. Timothy Garvey. He's just plain fantastic and so is his staff.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2125711].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 22, 2008

Dr. Garvey did a cervical fusion of my spine. He and his staff spent a significant amount of time determining the proper diagnosis and approach prior to recommending surgery. He made certain I made the decision about what care I wanted to have. My only complaint would be he can be a bit harried and seem impatient when the patient needs to make a decision. However his skill is top notch and he came highly recommended from other doctors.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2125710].votes_count ]]