Dr. Joseph Lawen

Rate Dr. Joseph Lawen

Dr. Joseph Lawen's Ratings

I found Dr. Lawen pleasant enough and he did take time to listen to me. I have to agree, his secretary is rude. She has no time to deal with you and never returns messages.Seems she is never at her desk! Less time talking in the back room would be helpful.Another doctor's secretary had to check me in because she was busy talking .Did not even acknowledge me!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2451211].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 6, 2014

I had a kidney stone. He was very unhelpful and perhaps reckless. In retrospect I'm pretty sure he did a very invasive procedure on me when a second go with the less invasive alternative is possible (I know now). After he removed my stone I was given very little info and sent home with zero pain meds and a stent. About a week later I had incredibly intense pain (imagine a 33 year old man doing lamaze breathing) and passed the worst looking stone (it was cut like a sharp ninja star where he had cut it with the lazer and left it behind.) When I told him this he didn't believe me. When I showed him the stone he tried to claim it was a blood clot until I told him to shake it around and that I'd seen lots of clots in the past few months and that wasn't one. My first visit he literally spent 15 seconds in the room with me and walked out. I had to ask the secretary if he was done with me or not. I had no idea HOW bad he was until I met my current urologist and saw what a good one was.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1516788].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 8, 2013

I was referred to Dr Lawen because I had a "staghorn" kidney stone that had essentially killed my kidney and it had to be removed. Dr Lawen was amazing. He took time to explain my issue and everything that was involved in the surgery. He was personable, caring and took his time answering all my questions and concerns. I had to call him several times after being released from hospital and although he was unavailable when I called due to be in the OR he called me back himself within hours. I would not hesitate to refer him to anyone, in fact....I have done just that. His office staff are wonderful as well!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1516787].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 7, 2013

The Dr seems to know what he is talking about,however,because I do not,I can not say this to be absolutely true.What I can say, is that he had no interest or time for any questions/comments I had. The Dr is able to diagnose your condition by simply looking at you.As I my problem persisted,I requested another urologist through my GP.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1516786].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 19, 2011

Living with IC for 13 years. I have chronic pain and frequency. Diagnosed first by Dr.Dow. There are no urologist in Nfld. Hydrodistention always worked for me. Always talked to Specialist before Surgery. I find it difficult being in a new hospital. I liked this New doctor but I wanted to stay awake for the procedure like I done in Nfld. The staff was great!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1516785].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 14, 2011

I was referred to Dr.Lawen through emergency when they found a cyst on my Kidney. I was in a great deal of pain with the cyst. (and still am). I went back to emerg afew weeks ago, and they gave me the results of an ultra sound I had, telling me that the pain is caused by the cyst and explained to me why. I went to my appt with lawen, and he told me that he is not convinced that the cyst is causing pain, and if i wanted to find out what the cause of the pain is to go back to emerg. everytime i tried to explain to him that i was already at emerg and they told me that it was the cyst causing the pain he very rudely cut me off and didn't seem interested in what i had to say or my questions and concerns. at this time I am currently seeking a second opinion. as he did not make me feel confident in what he said.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1516784].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 14, 2011

Very knowledgeable. Very thorough in my examination and biopsy. Felt I was in excellent care. Would recommend without question.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1516783].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 3, 2010

His secretary is one of the rudest women I've probably ever encountered. He was knowledgeable and capable.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1516782].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 18, 2010

hi dr. lawen is the very best and has saved my husband , he was always there to answer any questions, and very good at explaining,he never sugar coated anything he is like the older doctors that never rush you he worked tireless for 8 hrs in surgery and then that same evening came back when he started bleeding inside and worked again he knows his buisness hes kind genuine,i have already recommended my friends to dr. lawen and his team it has taken me a long time to trust and feel really confident. but somehow he made me feel that i could go there monday and i knew we had the best possible doctor looking after my husband no matter what the outcome was. he was the right choice for my family and if anyone is looking for help i suggest dr. joseph lawen and i dont know whether the doctor will see this or not but from the bottom of my heart thank you for saving my husband i will be forever grateful kris gerrior

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1516781].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 22, 2010

Dr. Lawen was not interested in what I was telling him and I received no information explaining my problems.I have bladder problems related to MS and I was hoping for an explanation of symptoms I suffer from. He said the problems I have are not unusual, not a problem. So my 10 minutes were up and I was dismissed.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1516780].votes_count ]]