Rate Dr. Paul Klimo

Dr. Paul Klimo's Ratings

i was diagnosed with stage 4 at abbotsford and told to arrange for palliative care 3 to 4 months van cancer center 2 months and dr klimo no time and here i am 2 years later cancer free is he a doctor or what no bedside manner they say well my grand-kids don't care if he is nice so long as grandpa is there to hug them and here i am thanks god for klimo

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1523397].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 11, 2012

Dr Klimo has now retired, but I wanted to set the record straight on this kind and miraculous doctor who saved my life. Yes,there were times when his manner was brusque, but when I treated him with respect and compassion, that is what I received in return. More to the point, he did not give up on me when others did, and found the answer to a very complicated situation. He is a talented doctor who saved many, many lives.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1523396].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 2, 2012

This Dr. is as ignorant as they come! He promised many things, and spent two minutes with me. His waiting area had standing room only. He then fouled up my scheduled surgery, by telling the surgeon that I did not have cancer! He was wrong! The first words out of my Internist were: "why did you go to that idiot?" He is out to make $$$ and doesn't not care about you! Arrogant and lacking in empathy! Get a second opinon! He needs to retire! He feels very threatened if you have medical knowledge! He needs to retire and take up a hobby! Probably the worst specialist I have ever met.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1523398].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 25, 2011

This Dr. was good in maintaining treatment only. However, once my mother's cancer came back, he did not manage her pain, do regular tests, give regular injections to avoid collapses or use new chemo drugs. We used to wait for upto 2 hours to see him at his clinic. He and his staff never returned phone calls and no-one ever called to inform us if he had gone out of town and we had a wasted trip to his office. My mother was his patient for 5 years. She would collapse or be in incredible pain and he would do nothing about it. In December 2010, she collapsed and was admitted to hospital. For 5 days, no-one would tell us what was going on. I finally camped outside his office with her lab reports and he calmly informed me that there was nothing he could do and that she would die within a few days to a couple of weeks. He didn't even see her! I had had an appointment for a second opinion at the BCCA with Dr. Villa. He used new drugs and my mother made a complete turnaround. BCCA is the best!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1523395].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 24, 2011

Someone above said...."Klimo lacks empathy, is biased, narcissistic, and arrogant - and is long overdue for retirement." He is the classic East European so if you can't get over that, don't go to him. He is extremely intelligent and knowledgeable. He is not about "bedside manner' (debate among yourselves if he should be). Above all, he is HONEST.....He tells the truth.....a rare commodity in the oncological system....you may or may not like it but that is who he is.....what a relief!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1523394].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 24, 2011

Personally aware that my cancer had returned, Dr. Klimo treated me poorly throughout our relationship. He challenged my concerns, rambled off assorted stages of cancer (which I knew nothing about, nor responded to), was consistently rude, abrupt, and constantly interrupted our consults with lengthy cell calls. When it became apparent that Dr. Klimo had no intention of evaluating the cancer's return, coupled with his ongoing arrogance and disrespect, I went elsewhere. There, my credibility was respected and immediate treatment was undertaken for the POSITIVE test results that confirmed my cancer's return. On the other hand, Dr. Klimo FAILED TO ORDER APPROPRIATE TESTS for my advancing cancer. Some time later, imagine my surprise when reviewing Dr. Klimo's consult report, ridiculing "my obsession with stage four cancer" ???. Succinctly, I recommend working with a qualified oncologist and NOT this man. Klimo lacks empathy, is biased, narcissistic, and arrogant - and is long overdue for retirement.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1523393].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 14, 2010

Dr. Klimo put my Mother through 10 days of harsh radiation treatments only to say the day of the last treatment there was no hope and the radiation was a "comfort measure" ... well his "comfort measure" caused her six weeks of nausea and vomiting. and then she passed on less than two months later. If he had bothered to consult with the patient or the family, we would have told him QUALITY of life is our main goal not quantity if it's just her suffering. We all found him arrogant, distant, cold, and uncaring!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1523392].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 2, 2010

Because he is on top of the latest conventional treatments for cancer of all types, and because he enjoys a good working relationship with the B.C. Cancer Agency, Dr. Klimo may be the best oncologist in British Columbia. He's a "no nonsense" practitioner; and being in very high demand, he has to focus on diagnosis and treatment and not on small talk. With patients who cooperate, he is a friendly and likable person.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1523391].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 26, 2010

I sought out Dr. Klimo after the BC Cancer Agency indicated that it was too late for them to treat my Breast Cancer. That was 15 years ago. Since then a very senior official at the Cancer Agency explained (very professionally) that the Cancer Agency must make decisions that are not only in the best interest of the patient but that are also responsible to the tax payers of BC, while Dr. Klimo only has to concern himself with the best interests of his patients. Last year I had a recurrance and once again, it has been treated with utmost success and flexibility to accommodate my wishes. I would not go anywhere else!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1523390].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 22, 2009

This chemotherapy doctor is one of the worst and busiest doctor in the Lions Gate hospital that treats tons of patients and rarely meets with any of the patients for more than 5 minutes when cancer is a life and death situation. I guess all the people who commented below me trusted him fully and followed his advice like herded sheep. I beg everyone that has cancer. PLEASE SEEK A SECOND OPINION BEFORE MAKING YOUR DECISION, IT CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE. Also, in my situation my mother who had the cancer felt very helpless and felt very vulnerable to be treated like a statistic by this doctor. I was also wronged by the doctor that he called security on us and now there is a lawsuit against the hospital. I hope this doctor retires or distribute some of his load to other capable doctors instead of being a control freak. This is not a full-on attack on the Dr.Klimo, but a call for change. Hopefully the upcoming election will change the medicare system.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1523389].votes_count ]]