Rate Dr. Debra Van Aggelen

Dr. Debra Van Aggelen's Ratings

Excellent care, informed, takes all issues seriously, is proactive, refers to a specialist, is personable, her receptionist Teresa is excellent.

Submitted April 5, 2014 | flag

Dr. Van Aggelen is knowledgeable with very good diagnostic abilities.She has helped me with a variety of general health problems, without prejudice or judgement and provided excellent advice on problems I encountered at my workplace. She does, however, treat a lot of patients so be prepared for a bit of a wait. Have some patience and understand that there are others that also need her help. So bring a good book with you and enjoy your stay.

Submitted April 24, 2012 | flag

After seeing Dr. Van Aggelen for only the past couple of years I have decided to move on. Her tardiness is most inconvenient and me feeling shuffled out the door when finally seeing her is very upsetting. She is always ready to refer me to someone before even getting to know the symptoms. Ugh. She has a rehearsed verbal repertoire that is annoying. Never any true inquisitive questions or a moment to listen. I look forward to my new Doctor and creating a relationship at this new office. The only thing swift and indicative of her office and behaviour is the invoice they sent me for $30 to transfer my records. I have had to remind her of my blood work dates required and follow up phone calls by me constantly. Ugh.

Submitted Sept. 20, 2011 | flag

Dr. Van Aggelen is our family doctor for about 16 years. That includes the youngest which just turned a year old. I owe my life to the good doctor. My complaints is always taken seriously. I have been into two major crisis in my life and she is always very supportive. Without her expertise I am probably be either in the loony bin or six feet under. I just saw her two days ago and she remembered even small detail about me.Same thing I can say about Teresa. I think she is the funniest and I love her witty remarks to put you at ease.

Submitted July 9, 2011 | flag

Have taken our 80 year old mum there for the last time. This unprofesional doctor always seems in a hurry, never checks vitals unless repeatedly requested, very unhelpful. She would do better if she at least looked at the patient's file. She seems more interested in putting through as many patients as she can. And her staff is no prize either! Always late, never apologetic. How this doc practices especially in West Vancouver, we don't know.

Submitted Jan. 19, 2011 | flag

My mother, grandmother and I all had/have Van Aggelen. In over 10 years of my seeing her there was always a wait. She often dismissed my issues to the point where I decided to get a new MD. The last time I saw Van Aggelen I sat in her room crying about a very sensitive issue. She denied my request for testing and left me there crying. My new MD has been working very closely with me to ensure that my situation is dealt with and I have never had to wait for her - not even 5 minutes. The breaking point really came when my mom was dying of cancer. She ran out of pain medication and her palliative care dr was on a medical emergency leave. My dad contacted Van Aggelen's office and was told to bring my mom in before they would re-write her prescription! She was bed-ridden! Unfortunately my mom passed away 5 hours later - yet she is still on the contact list at Van Aggelen's office for my grandmother. I’m sick thinking about it.

Submitted Sept. 21, 2010 | flag

Her receptionist has never addressed me correctly often calling me by my last name. I find the doctor always in a hurry and just feel I am a billing entry for her.Initially she explained that she had voluntarily decided against hospital privileges to afford her more quality time with patients and yet she is constantly 20 to 30 min. off her schedule. She does not review any information prior to your visit and it is entirely up to me to remember annual checkups, bloodwork, tests and bring up any necessarry treatment for current issues. I have left the office on 2 occassions having just rec'd test results only to recieve a phone call a day or so later asking me to come in for the results. i do not have confidence in her ability to recognize and address a problem unless I press.

Submitted April 27, 2010 | flag

In comparison to my experiences with family doctors, I would say Dr. Van Aggelen is decent. For the first couple of years as a patient of hers, I found her quite helpful, and always very easy to talk to. However, as I see is a common theme among others' comments, the last couple of years have been extremely disappointing. She is always rushed, and has gone from being a caring listener, to being abrupt, easily frustrated, and not at all understanding or compassionate when it comes to the patient's concerns. She's fine if all that is needed is a quick-fix or prescription renewal, but subpar when it comes to the dicussion of any illness that requires any thought process or investigation. She is very quick to disregard the patient's concerns or symptoms, which is not a desirable trait in a doctor, as far as I'm concerned.

Submitted March 24, 2010 | flag

Dr Van Aggelen referred me to an excellent specialits which I much appreciated. She is very friendly and easy to talk to. Both of which are very important qualities in a family doctor.

Submitted Feb. 22, 2010 | flag

We just sincerely hope that Dr. Van Aggelen will let her monstrous receptionist go some day: that person was downright hostile and appalling. Belonged more to a... well, let's not get carried away, shall we. Seriously, it was shocking to be treated thus by a receptionist. We submit that Dr. Van Aggelen should not be practicing if she keeps her on. We were VERY close to reporting to the appropriate government office.

Submitted June 14, 2009 | flag