Rate Dr. Orrin Devinsky

Dr. Orrin Devinsky's Ratings

He is overrated...Nice guy but he lets his P.A. do most of the one-on-one patient contact and she makes too many mistakes. He gives very little time to his patients, which is unfortunate because I do believe he is bright - but over-scheduled. If he were in practice seeing patients on his own, I would recommend him - but never under the current status of dependency on his P.A. to translate, for the patient, what the patient should be conveying to the doctor, directly. ..very unfortunate.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2590517].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 23, 2014

We were "welcomed" to the office by very rude lady... Then the young attending physician saw us for about 20 min. Then he run to another room, provided Dr. Devinsky with summary info and finally they both came to talk to us. It was literally five min, they handed the prescription and said " good bye". Terrible!!! We never came back..

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2569368].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 8, 2014

I have a daughter with DS and live in California. I met Dr. Devinsky at a conference and talked to him on the phone. At the conference he gave me his undivided attention and listened to my daughter's complex problems at length and advised me accordingly. He was professional, kind, and sincerely concerned. When my daughter's condition deteriorated several months later, I called his office; his staff was very accommodating and helpful and obviously gave him the message immediately because he called me back in less than 30 minutes. He understood my difficulty in bringing her there because of the distance and expense, referred me to a knowledgeable local neurologist, and confirmed that the current course of action was viable. I've dealing with for 25 years with my daughter and have rarely met a man so knowledgeable and accomplished who is also unfailingly kind, caring, and willing to give his time to address a parent's concern. I am just overwhelmed with gratitude and admiration.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2565986].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 6, 2014

I went to Devinsky with a lot of hope knowing that he was a smart doctor and he would know how to help me. He offered me great advice but pushed me off on another doctor in NJ. The NJ doctor didn't go well and I was left disappointed.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1526316].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 3, 2013

Best. Doctor. Ever. You could not find a smarter, more caring, more able doctor in his profession. He aids in bettering peoples' lives, not just by what he does, but by the way in which he does it. I have been to many doctors but he is, far and away, THE one to go to who will be there to help. He, along with his team, give you the warmth, kindness, and determination needed to alleviate your epilepsy/neurological problems. Going to Dr. Devinsky saved my life; He's also saved thousands more.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1526315].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 27, 2013

I have suffered from epilepsy since I was 11 years old and had a head injury. For the past 25 years, I went from physician to physician and tried every drug and cocktail of drugs possible. I still had seizures and felt like it was never going to "be under control". As a result of the seizures and medications, I lost my license, was limited to job opportunities and living situations, had problems socially and worst of all, dealt with the terrible side effects of different anti-epileptic drugs. Dr. Devinsky was my last hope..and it worked!! He and his staff were amazing. His bed side manners were above and beyond kind and passionate. He understood my situation and found the drug that worked for me. I am proud to say that, on June 17th, I will be seizure free for 4 months. I owe it all to Dr. Devinsky. I am getting control of my life and I feel great. Thank you, Dr. Devinsky, you are a miracle worker and your talent should not go unnoticed!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1526314].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 9, 2013

Dr. Devinsky and his team saved our dughter's cognitive functioning, and they continue to protect her against the potential damage done by epileptic seizures. He sees her personally, and he cares about her as a person, not just a patient. He treats us with respect and kindness. The nurse practioners he hires and trains are also amazing! He is the one to see if you want a doctor who is intellectual and passionate - he hates this disease with a passion - and he has spent his life trying to destroy it! The only way he could be better is if he cloned himself so that all children could have him as a doctor!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1526313].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 11, 2013

Misinformed me on a study and told me I would be getting results for my son when he was corrected by nurse or da when she came in to sign me up I backed out. I hope she didn't get chewed out but because she did the right thing and told me. He should be ashamed of himself and know what he's talking about and also respect people a lot more. He's not very pleasant to hear how he talks to people when he's in a rush

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1526317].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 26, 2013

I was so excited to meet Dr. Devinsky after all I heard about him. What I didn't know is that you only get to see him for about 120 mins when you get an appointment. You see one of his attending physicians for about an hour & then they discuss your case with him. He comes in after that. He is lovely. After that, you are in the hands of the attending physician going forward. The attending discusses test results with Dr Devinsky. Everything goes through the attending. The one we got was nice, but not the best fit for my son's condition. If you are have to go into the hospital, he and his attendings are not there. You are basically left to the hospital staff/residents to do any procedures. I was so disappointed, because I thought I had found the perfect dr for my son, but instead got to deal with his colleagues who were very testy when I had lots of questions. They were not open to discussing other options. Office staff is always attentive and great to deal with.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1526312].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 16, 2013

Excellent and knowledgeable Doctor. Kind, caring and understanding. Not judgmental. Great staff! He gave us hope during a very difficult time.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1526311].votes_count ]]