Rate Dr. William Taylor

Dr. William Taylor's Ratings

It is quite unfortunate that Dr. Taylor is the only option for a Dermatologist in Medicine Hat. It appears that this doctor way overbooks his day as both times I have gone to see him I had to wait around 45 minutes past my appointment time. When we finally got in we only saw him for a minute before he rushed on to the next patient, not even allowing any questions. I was also very disappointed with the cleanliness and condition of the clinic (I thought we lived in Alberta, not a 3rd world country). This medical practice appears to be a money grab and it is unfortunate that our health care system is paying these types of doctors for basically doing nothing.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2769661].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 7, 2015

Boy oh boy has this man's practice degraded over the years. I think it's time for him to either seriously consider voluntary retirement or to modify how he conducts himself professionally (let alone personally). His knowledge is average to above average to me but I'm just one anecdote amongst many. He figured out what I had and has helped me over the years with the condition as well as some other people I know. His staff really suck at times but overall are average. I think I feel sorry for them.They are working under alot of psychopathology and probably have expectations that hamper their ability to be nice all the time. These positives are almost irrelevant in the face of his professionalism.

He needs to relearn that the medical system in it's entirety exists to serve PATIENTS. I don't mind if doctors are well compensated for their time and I can appreciate that the job sucks on many levels but how this kind of practice can persist despite well over 40 unprompted terribly negative reviews is beyond me. It's pretty sad when other physicians have to warn patients about the consultant that they're sending them to. I'm going to hazard a guess that many physicians refer directly to Lethbridge or to Calgary.

Doctor Taylor seriously needs to read all these reviews below and reflect on why people are so mad. He probably won't but I'm sure everyone can agree that he should. His knowledge isn't bad but nobody cares because he's so unpersonable.

Here are a few suggestions on how to not be so off-putting that everyone and their dog will hate you apriori of whatever treatment you give them. The list of rules that patients sign is a ridiculously stupid idea. I'm sure that you are just verbalizing something that many physicians think back you really need to get rid of it. Don't ask patients to do things that you aren't prepared to do yourself. Don't ask me to respect your time when you can't be bothered to run an office punctually and to give me more than 30 seconds worth of your time after I've waited to see you. I don't expect or require 15 minutes to rant or rave or cry or whatever but just a few minutes. 10 years ago it was 5 minutes, now it's down to 60 seconds. Come on man.

Fix your office up and be more cogniscent of your physical appearance. I know this may not be directly related to the diagnosis of medical ailments but it does affect treatment. If I have no confidence in how you present yourself (cut your f****** hair please), that might affect how I perceive your treatment. Replace furniture that hasn't been replaced since you bought your office 20 years ago. Seriously.

Practice your non-verbal cues (the verbal ones need work as well). Eye contact is necessary for patient interaction. Sit with an open stance. This is first year medical school stuff...maybe you should listen to that student of yours.

All of your personal interests and personal baggage should be left at the door. Nobody wants to hear about chess or CKUA or music or whatever man. If you know someone really well then sure...why not. But I don't know you that well and I think it's really unprofessional to talk about it. As a patient there is a tremendous power imbalance. I don't have the ability to nicely tell you that I don't want to listen to your irrelevant nonsense. You need to respect that and me by not getting into it.

If you're going to do non-work related things at work do it discretely...I guess that's OK as long as you are on time and as long as I don't notice you doing it after I've waited hours to see you. Close the door to your office. Have some common sense; incidentally, he should close the door to his supply room as well...what a mess.

You can have your assistant interview me and examine me and do whatever else needs to be done. It speeds things up, I get it. But you need to confirm and oversee that process while conveying that you care and that you are the doctor and not your assistant. You don't convey that. That's not acceptable.

Man this is such a waste of my time to write this but for all his faults he has helped me and least this way I can convey my frustrations anonymously; and who knows...maybe he will actually read this stuff and realize that he needs to get is act together. This is really basic patient centered care stuff. You would fail many of your medical rotations today (if you got into medical school at all) based on how you interact with patients and other professionals. I don't care if this is hard for you to do...if it was easy, everyone would be doctors. You get paid well, it's time to start earning it or get the hell out of the business.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2749835].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 17, 2015

My visit to Dr. Taylor's office was a very divisive one psychologically. At first brush, I'm inclined to gave him a 1/5 on at least 3 of the parameters. But after reflecting on it after a little while, I'm going to deviate (slightly) from the reviews below. I've had a chronic skin condition that has been misdiagnosed for several years by several different physicians (including other dermatologists). Dr. Taylor did successfully treat it and properly diagnose it. I've also had several friends and family members who were helped by Dr. Taylor's treatment (in spite of his horrendously unprofessional conduct and office environment). In fact, this is the only reason I actually braved his office. His reputation proceeds him.

I think it's probably pretty easy (and I would argue perhaps unfairly) to downgrade his knowledge and his staff. His staff are to me consistently average. They are contending with an absolutely TERRIBLE boss. If they were working for a more sane and reasonable employer...I have no doubt they would perform adequately. His knowledge from what I've observed has to be at least OK to poor. If it was terrible, he would have been out on his ass years ago. Traditionally he has made several excellent diagnoses. These are overshadowed however by his terrible personality.

Let's talk about the overarching theme of all these comments: professionalism. Dr. Taylor would probably fail any practice audit, and he certainly needs assistance with figuring out how to properly interact with patients (let alone run a practice). Even the sharpest physician will get awful reviews (with good reason) if they don't treat their patients as people...Dr. Taylor is not the sharpest physician...but I wouldn't say he's below average in intelligence or knowledge. He is definitely in the bottom quartile when it comes to his patient interaction skills and his patient centered care. I hope the college takes note and helps him relearn these skills so that medicine hat can be better served.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2749791].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 17, 2015

I was sooo happy to get in to see a Dermatologist within a couple weeks of my referral. Now I know why he was not booked up.
This man is worth nothing more than his prescription pad. He will not ask questions, nor allow you the time to ask your own. He was in the office for a total of 45 seconds - not even enough time to read the notes the student doctor had written after speaking with me.
He will give your condition a name and write a prescription. His "physicians assistant" is a completely unperson-able, conceited, biotch. She will grab the pamphlets for the named condition throw them at you and open the door while she says "we will see you again in 6 months, make the appointment on your way out"
Neither of them look you in the eye. If you start to say anything, you will be cut off immediately.
When I expressed concern about the first prescription, he cut me off and said "I will give you a prescription for blah blah, but it will cost 10 times as much" He never explained what it was or how it worked. I had to take it to my pharmacist to get more information.
He had a student doctor that tried to help me by telling him a few things about my condition that I knew she felt he was overlooking. He shut her down just as quickly as me.

We need to put this Doctor out of his misery and the ridiculously unfriendly staff. Please complain to the Alberta College of Physicians & Surgeons and write your MLA. There is no excuse for hundreds of our tax dollars to be paid to this man for 45 seconds of his service. Lets starve him of patients and force him to retire. A good dermatologist is more likely to relocate or start a practice in Medicine Hat if there isn't one already.

He did less for me than my GP and google could. Please ask your GP for a different doctor to refer to.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2746638].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 12, 2015

Feel like i am adding this in vain, but just to keep the reviews recent here goes...
I was booked for an 815 am appointment and showed up at 8. There was one patient already waiting who i believed was the 8am. We sat there together for over an hour and a half as more patients (some elderly) came in to wait. I gave my seat up to an elderly man as the waiting room was now full. At 930 a young lady came in and asked if she could book an appointment, BTW, myself and 8am guy were still sat there. Dr Taylor flew out the door and warmly embraced her saying how good it was to see her, how he enjoyed her performance at the local theater and she didn't need an appointment. He took her straight in. I went to the desk and was told "Dr is running behind' before the sliding glass slammed shut again. At 10 am, she came out, 8am guy went in and was out in 5 minutes. I went in and sat in waiting room for 15 minutes. Dr Taylor came in, picked up the phone, called the local Radio station and asked about tickets to a show (i kid you not). Then he asked me if i wanted to buy a CD, buy tickets to a show. When i said no, he palmed me off on his uninterested nurse. As he scribbled a prescription i asked him what he thought. He told me "psoriasis, nothing interesting" Thanks Doc, knew that already. Then gave me a booklet about a psoriasis support group, a psoriasis club (both subscription) and left. The fact he looks like CoCo the scary clown I'm sure calms the kiddies too. But, he is the only dermatologist in town and he knows it. Go to Lethbridge or Calgary or see if your own doc will fill prescriptions for you. With your health records on line its worth a shot.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2691198].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 20, 2015

The staff seemed fine, but yes this Doctor is extremely strange. What sort of doctor makes you sign a ridiculous list of rules on your first visit? Crazy haha. And yes, in my experience at his office in my first appointment, I sat waiting for several hours. Then he flew in as if he was in a rush, sat down, started down at his desk for the 30 seconds he was in the same room as me, never looking me in the eye, then rushed out of the room at the same speed he came in, after saying the same thing the nurse said to me before he came. I have had other very negative experience with doctors here in Medicine Hat, I am starting to wonder if this city is full of bad doctors. I had an appointment for today, it is -30 C outside, and although my car was plugged in, I could not start my car. I called his office 10 minutes before my appointment to say that I fully intended on being there, and was trying to start my car to come, but my car wont start. I was told I'd be billed for the appointment. Good luck billing me I suppose, I survive on a small medical disability cheque and have no way of paying it. Anyway, yes he is strange, and I agree with what I see other people writing, except that the staff seemed pleasant enough during my visit. The nurse who dealt with me before the doctor was very helpful, and I would have counted the experience as a positive if not for the hours of waiting for a doctor to see me for 10 seconds, and today's negative experience of being told I would have to pay for an appointment.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2677911].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 9, 2015

I was told by my dr that I would get into this dr the quickest and if I wasn't satisfied he would send a referral to another dr. Well I took this as this dr is a little different and not well liked. I got in within 2 weeks drove over 2 hours to sit in the waiting room for over an hour, talked to the nurse for 5 min, she was very nice. Told me what she thought my daughter had and said the dr would be in shortly. 10 min later he stormed in didn't say a word to me, the nurse showed him what I had told her he said " that's what it is". Scribbled his signature, got up and left!! I was speechless! I work in the health care profession and could not believe there are doctors out there like this. He is one ****ed up man who doesn't care about his patients. The nurse said we will see you back in 6 months. Hmmmm I don't think so, I will wait the 9 months to get in to see a professional!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2665135].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 29, 2014

Waited 2 hours in waiting room, when it was finally my turn only a nurse asked me questions, took a skin sample, wrote a report THEN Dr. Taylor came in grabbed the report and left. The nurse told me to come back in a month. Not a word from this man. Also what is with the dumb office rules you have to sing off on?

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2635895].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 28, 2014

I have to write a review of this piece of work!! My wife was referred by her Dr to this idiot and was even warned how strange he might be. Not strange, a downright horrible actually....They asked if she could be in at 9am and my wife made it for 9:15 as that was the earliest she could make it. She dropped out oldest off at school early just to do so and ended up in his filthy waiting room for close to TWO HOURS!!! Complete disregard of people's time!! Upon showing up she was asked to sign off on a list of ridiculous office rules.... What in the ......??? Who does that? So whatever, she signs his sheet.
She is led into a dirty room which she said smelt like mold and moth balls. The nurse (whom she said was actually quite pleasant despite other negative reviews) took a few mins and asked my wife about her problem and said the "Dr" would be in shortly. When the idiot finally came in he didn't even look at my wife or say hi or introduces himself or anything. Instead asked the nurse what was going on and then spent 30 seconds basically telling my wife there is nothing he can do and LITERALLY just stood up and walked out!!! Didn't even give her a chance to ask anything or answer any question she may have. She was to shocked to even stop him!! She said the nurse looked embarrassed about what just happened and suggested booking another visit.... As if that's going to happen! This guys, IMO, is a crook who over books his office just to collect an easy cheq because let's face it, he gets paid regardless of time spent with a patient... Reading the other reviews almost proves my point.
It's a shame he is the only dermatologist in Medicine Hat... I wouldn't waste your time ppl, drive to calgary or something. You'll end up waiting in his gross waiting room the same amount of time it would take you to get to calgary and see a REAL Dr who actually cares about his patients....

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2591794].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 24, 2014

How this dr is still in business is beyond me. I have never been treated so bad,EVER. I waited for close to 2 hours for my appointment and when i finally got in he honestly spent 1 minute with me(and no apology from anyone for being so behind). He would not make eye contact and barely spoke to me. No hi or goodbye. He mainly talked to his nurse and made me feel like i was a waste of his time. He didnt address anything and was zero help. I was shocked at how rude he was. I had read his reviews so i was expecting the worst when i went in but i wasnt prepared for just HOW bad he was. On a bright note though the nurses where really nice and helpful. I would encourage anybody needing a dermatologist to go to Lethbridge or Calgary instead.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2591758].votes_count ]]