Dr. Hyun Woo Bae

Grad. Year: 1995

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 28/12/12    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.0 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 15 reviews. Dr. Hyun Woo Bae has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

09/07/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 3.3
RID: 2769405
14/08/13 5 5 5 5 Very professional. Great surgeon. Had herniated disc with painful sciatica. Had out-patient endoscopic surgery at Cedar Sinai and was pain free the next day.
RID: 2707186
12/07/13 5 5 5 5 I needed emergency surgery due to a herniated disc, and I received the most excellent care from Dr. Bae and Lisa Cano. The follow up in the two years since my surgery has also been impeccable. I give him my highest recommendation and even referred my mother, who was also treated by Dr. Bae.
RID: 2618044
15/04/13 5 4 5 5 Excellent physician/surgeon, very knowledgeable and willing to educate the patient of the procedure/process. Recommend highly.  Respond
RID: 2610313
07/04/13 5 5 5 5 I contacted Dr. Bae following a friend's recommendation. He was professional, caring, and extremely knowledgeable. He diagnosed my symptoms and I underwent two surgeries with Dr. Bae in 2012. I am extremely pleased with the results and even recommended Dr. Bae to the wife of a good friend, who had a surgery performed by Dr. bae in 2012.
RID: 2568245
23/02/13 5 4 5 5 Dr. Bae is the very best. He provided full information before the procedure and followed up afterwards often and thoroughly. He did an excellent job. Recovery was rapid and complete. He was friendly and easy to talk with.
RID: 2563974
19/02/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Bae is a great doctor. Requiring neck surgery is a daunting thing, but Dr. Bae's knowledge and kindly, positive manner was very assuring. A couple of friends had neck surgery with Dr. Bae and highly recommended him. Now, I do too! Not only is he a highly skilled surgeon, he radiates positivity. He did a great job, and I bounced right back. the positivity and confidence is contagious!
Respond

17/06/12 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Hyun" to "Hyun Woo"
RID: 2130945
11/05/12 5 2 5 5 I have had 1 back surgery before, and was referred to Dr. Bae for a new disc issue in my neck. I have had 8 surgeries, so my experience is second to none. The spine is the most difficult part of the body to diagnos and treat, so, I was a little pissed off by others rating of Dr. Bae as they do not know what they are talking about. He was very honest, informative, and highly recommended me to get other opinions. The spine is not like a knee or ankle, there our 1000's of tendons, ligaments, and nerves. They can fix a structural problem, but no way to know if a nerve has been permently damaged until months after surgery. He is good, a thought leader and conservative. I trust him, but you should always get multiple opinions from an Othopedic and neuro surgeon. Then make ur own decision after multiple view points! HE IS GOOD AS THEY COME, BUT EVEN MICHAEL JORDAN MISSED A FEW SHOTS....SO ALWAYS GET MULTIPLE VIEWPOINTS,!
Insurance: United Healthcare
Paid (or co-pay): $25
RID: 1666828
21/12/11 5 5 5 5 I had a neck problem for over two years. I had seen 6 other surgeons prior to meeting Dr. Bae. I have DDD and had three herniated disc. Every other surgeon I saw was more then willing to perform a fusion from the C4-5 to the T1. They wanted to put me in a neck brace for 6 weeks and be laid up for up to 4 months. Dr. Bae performed a hybrid fusion. He replaced one disc with an artificial disc and the other two disc were replaced with a carbon fiber wedge. The lower levels will fuse and the AD will protect the levels above. I didn't need a neck brace, I was off all pain meds in three days and I am home walking around feeling good. Dr. Bae is an exceptional surgeon. He can do things no other surgeon can do. I highly recommend Dr. Bae for any spine problems you may have.  Respond

RID: 1413749
12/04/11 5 5 5 5 I would like to express my gratitude to Dr. Bae for the excellent service he provides. Before I started coming to Dr.Bae, I was diagnosed with vertebral hemangiomas and have had severe chronic back pain from it for the last 5 years. I've had chiropractic treatments, physical therapy, acupunture, epidural injections and I've seen 6 different surgeons, 2 neurosurgeons and 4 orthopaedic surgeons, no one was able to help me, instead all the other surgeons I saw kept on telling me hemangiomas do not cause back pain when indeed it does. After my first visit with Dr. Bae, I knew I was in good hands, he thoroughly went over my MRI with me and clearly explained the procedure he would be performing during my surgery. I would highly recommend Dr. Hyun Bae to anyone without hesitation. He is very competent and he really cares about his patients, he is an excellent surgeon. Thanks to Dr. Bae, I am pain free and am able to live a normal life again.
RID: 1384717
10/03/11 2 1 1 1 I would NEVER never recommend this Dr. to anyone. His diagnosis and bed side manner were horrendous. How can anyone diagnose a patient in less then 5 minutes. 5 months later we realized just how far this,"diagnosis" was off. Herniated disks or metastasized cancer? Flip a coin in this office..NO WAY TO BAE.....
Insurance: Medicaid / Medi-Cal
RID: 1166177
10/05/10 3 3 1 3 I went to Dr. Bae from an ad that said they were doing a research study on a new treatment for back problems. I had had a bad back for a few years. Dr. Bae was very nice, charming, and confident that he could help me. I had several tests, and he determined that I was not suitable for the "study", but that surgery and fusion of L5-S1 was the answer. I have since come to the conclsion that the well advertised ad of the "Study" was a way to get new patients. Dr. Bae told me that this surgery was a "quick fix" and that I would be "pain free". After surgery, I continued to complain about pain in my lower back. I also complained about numbness in my feet that I had never had before. He never told me what caused this numbness, only asked if it bothered me. It's been almost three years, and my pain and numbness continue. I would suggest to someone with back pain to consider several opinions. I went with Dr. Bae because he was so nice and confident. I made a mistake. A painful one.  Respond
RID: 1134916
23/03/10 5 3 5 5 Dr. Bae is one of if not best back doctors there is. He is very honest, caring, and knoeledgeable in his field. I had four levels in my low back that were in bad shape. Here in NV they wanted me to undergo a four level fussion. I refused. Dr. Bae agreed that was not the way to go, after much help from him and his staff we got it approved to have him do the surgery. He did a 3 level disc replacement and a fussion at one level. That was almost 3 years ago and I thank him everyday for giving me my life back. I went from barley being able to get around to almost pre accident condition. I highly recomend Dr. Bae and his staff to anyone I hear of going for fussion I give them one of the phamplets from the Spine Insitute in Sana Monica and recomend him by name.
Insurance: Workers Comp
RID: 1064944
28/12/09 2 1 1 1 Dr. Bae misrepresented that a surgery he recommended was intended to alleviate a back problem. Only after the surgery, did he first disclose that the surgery was not not intended to address back problems at all. In addition, due to Dr. Bae's failure to give adequate post-operative instructions, I suffered a blood clot that required months of treatment with coumadin. The Medical Board of Califoria issued an "educational letter" to Dr. Bae for his supposed failure to examine me initially or post-operatively. That Board failed to take any action because of Dr. Bae's misrepresentations, or the failure to provide adequate post-op instructions. (The surgery turned out to be worthless with regard to any medical problem). Prospective patients would be well-advised to avoid treatment from Dr. Bae or his medical group "The Spine Institute" at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica or Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles.
RID: 1021705
29/10/09 1 1 2 1 This guy is so full of himself!! he tried to rush me into surgery and told me that it was necessary. I have since gotten 2 other opinions and both said that I did NOT need surgery and corrected my problem without surgery or medicines. His staff is also rude and they were late when I was seen. I would be VERY careful if you are told you need surgery by this guy.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 736496
04/12/08 5 4 5 5 At first, Dr Bae seemed very anxious to perform surgery for my problem -- after all, he is a surgeon. I've seen other doctors, now, who all have high praises for him, and I've also realized that my issue won't go away without surgery. Overall, he was very informative. He's very confident, which can come off as cocky, but a surgeon has to be sure of himself. I'm currently trying to schedule surgery with him and have a good sense that I'm being well taken care of.