Dr. Steven M. Reich

Grad. Year: 1986

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 16/09/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 5.0 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 23 reviews. Dr. Steven M. Reich has an excellent overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: does Dr Reich work on broken bone in hand?    Email me    Answer it
Q: does Dr Reich perform Carpal Tunnel surgery?    Email me    Answer it
Q: does Dr Reich perform minimally invasive spine surgery?    Email me    Answer it
Q: what insurances does he accept?    Email me    Answer it    See answers
Q: Does Dr. Reich work on hip replacements?    Email me    Answer it
Q: Does he do the less invasive surgery for carpel tunnel?    Email me    Answer it
Q: WE WERE AN CAR crash.My husb.needs shoulder surg. i have problems wiht pinched nerves in my spine.We ask for appoin.my email is [email protected]?    Email me    Answer it

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5494646
26/05/14 5 5 5 5 If you are suffering in pain and have visited numerous Doctors without any relief then Dr. Reich is your man. I suffered for years with 2 herniated discs and tried a Chiropractor, injections and pain meds but nothing helped. I was recommended by a Nurse at Robert Wood Johnson who informed me that if she or her children every needed surgery she would go to Dr. Reich. Do you know when you go to a new Doctor and you spend at least 20 minutes filling out your information and the Doctor walks in the room and never ever reads what you just wrote? When Dr. Reich walked into the room he recited almost word for word what I wrote on my chart. That really impressed me!!!! He is very intelligent, caring and funny. I trusted him right away and I wanted him to perform my surgery. After the procedure was finished I got up and the pain in my leg was GONE. It was the best decision I ever made going to see Dr. Reich. I highly recommend him to everyone who is suffering in pain. His staff is wonderful.
RID: 5435886
30/04/14 5 5 5 5 In Mexico, a fall left my neck broken, subsequently leaving me paralyzed. After an initial surgery in Mexico and a harrowing flight home, I arrived in RWJU Hospital to be in the care of Dr. Reich. Dr. Reich evaluated my condition and decided that a 2nd surgery would incr my chance of walking again. A bone chip was removed from around my spinal cord and my vertebrae were realigned. Once I was stable, I was transferred to a rehab facility. My initial prognosis for regaining the ability to walk again was grim. My husband was prepped for possibility of me never being able to get out of a wheelchair on my own. However, once there, I regained the ability to move my toe. Even this small movement was considered a miracle. After months of rehabilitation, I regained the ability to walk with crutches. Every step I take, I owe to Dr. Reich’s surgical acumen and the care I have received.  Respond
RID: 2695413
26/06/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Reich is a phenomenal physician and an outstanding human being (and his staff deserves equal accolades). I saw Dr. Reich after I was injured in a MVA which exacerbated a previous spondylolisthesis, making it nearly impossible for me to walk or perform even the most basic activities. Understanding I had a limited time to get surgery (a short break from med school), Dr. Reich and his staff went to great lengths to see me quickly and worked tirelessly with my insurance to move the process along. I have *never* felt rushed in any visits with him. He has spent a great deal of time answering any and all questions I could think of and truly made me feel we working together in a partnership. He and his staff were available at all hours and squeezed me in immediately when I had a post-op concern. 6 weeks post-op and I couldn't have imagined how well I'm doing. Dr. Reich made it possible for me to regain control of my life. I have never felt safer or in more capable or caring hands!
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 2674958
10/06/13 5 5 5 5 I had a serious problem in that I had 4 levels of damage in the cervical area of my spine, including some absolutely Huge herniations that had compressed my spine to the point that I was risking paralysis. I was initially evaluated by his comrade Dr Goldberger who informed me that I had cervical myalopathy (sic?) and arranged for a same day consult with Dr Reich, whom he had worked with for a number of years. Dr Reich immediately put myself and my family at ease. The surgery went amazingly well, and after only 4 months, I have full strength back in my arm and an almost 90% reduction in pain. This man is an outstanding surgeon and an outstanding human being. All Doctors should show his level of professionalism and kindness. He is a true healer, who only cares about his patients getting well. He quite literally saved my life. If you ever need spinal surgery, don't look for any other surgeon but Dr. Reich.  Respond
RID: 2672722
06/06/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Reich is a superlative surgeon as well as a kind, caring human being. His surgical skills are without peer - he literally helped me walk again and I will be forever grateful. He is a consummate professional who takes the time to accurately diagnose the problem and then tell you how he can fix it. He is confident because of his immense training and years of performing back surgery. I cannot thank him enough for giving me my life back!  Respond
RID: 2642531
07/05/13 5 5 5 5 If the world had more doctors like Dr. Reich our healthcare system would be so much better than it is now! Dr. Reich isnt just a great orthopedic surgeon, he has tremendous bedside manner, he listens to you, he genuinely cares about you, and personally follows up with you. Eight weeks post-op I feel 100% better. I walk three miles several times a week, and have resumed all pre-op activities. I can't say enough positive things about Dr. Reich, but to sum it up, I am truly grateful to him for taking me from a state of constant pain and discomfort to making me feel as good as I do now. His staff is a pleasure to work with, and make you feel welcome from your very first visit. I highly recommend Dr. Reich to anyone in search of a great Orthopedic Surgeon...I can't imagine there's better!!
RID: 2514798
28/12/12 5 5 5 5 Dr Steven M. Reich is in my opinion, is one of the finest men I have ever had the pleasure to know. As well as one of the finest, if not the finest, orthopedic surgeons any one could ever be lucky enough to have. Plus his hosp.& off. staff are incredible. On my 3rd visit I said to him,what makes you so great. Here is what he said; 1. Preparation – I never perform a surgery without knowing exactly what will be required. Don’t ever let anybody perform exploratory surgery. 2. Knowledge and Skill – years of study and thousands of spinal surgeries. It is the only kind of surgery he performs, 52 weeks a year and he’ll have tell you how many years. 3. Execution – He has the same exact staff in every operation he performs. Every person thoroughly knows what is going to be required of them and there are no substitutions. Please call me any time at 732 -738-8188 if you have any questions or concerns about him, I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.  Respond
RID: 2084284
27/04/12 5 4 5 5 LEARN FROM ME! I am a 42 yr mom that has been suffering from SEVERE debilitating lower back pain for years, which has impacted me &my family in so many ways. I went to so many doctors and had numerous types of injections. I went to the hospital for special surgery who said I needed a disc replacement. I wasn't so fast to do that. I went to Laser Spine Institute, and that was a total waste of time and money. Thankfully I didnt go through with my surgery at Laser Spine Institure. I then went to Dr. Reiss who is my savior. I am scheduled for a spinal fusion and look forward to getting my life back! Dr. Reiss only does surgery on patients that he knows will result in high success. That is why he is such an extraodinary doctor. I will post another reveiew once I have my surgery!
RID: 1722394
25/02/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Steven Reich changed my life from days of constant back and sciatic nerve pain, to normal. Dr. Reich's staff is top notch and the doctor is warm and friendly. He takes in all that you have to say, and when he says, "I can help you," you know he can. He is just as excited to help his patients as they are to be helped. My recovery from a hemmilaminectomy of my lower spine was amazingly fast. My scar is barely noticeable, and the doctor is very proud of this! He has done amazing things for so many people and, I bless Dr. Reich every day. Because of Dr. Reich I was able to dance at my sons' bar mitzvahs and will soon dance at my eldest son's wedding. He is truly a gifted surgeon and a great person. If you are looking for a doctor who can help you, look no further than Dr. Steven Reich. I was so thrilled that I wrote a column for the newspaper that I work for. To see it and learn more about my back surgery experience, visit http://nt.gmnews.com/news/2007-03-14/Front_page/021.... Respond
RID: 1715106
16/02/12 5 5 5 5 excellent experience, love his personality, successful back surgury! thanks dr reich
Insurance: Workers Comp
RID: 1712403
13/02/12 5 4 5 5 I am extremely fortunate to have Dr. Reich as my spine surgeon. On 12/5/11 I had spinal decompression, stabilization and instrumentation.I was up and walking that same night and felt immediate relief from the back and leg pain I had been suffering. Before and after surgery, Dr. Reich took time to review all MRIs and X-rays in detail with me, in terms I could understand. He always took time to answer all of my questions (I always have a list!) thoroughly and never disregarded any of my concerns. He is known as a brilliant surgeon, and my experience surely was that. He is compassionate and shows true interest in his patients. My physical therapist commented on his PT prescription that many surgeons address mainly lower body strengthening after this surgery, but his protocol includes upper and mid back flexibility and trunk stabilization for a better overall result.Excellent surgeon, excellent staff, excellent outcome for me.I will recommend him to anyone I know needing spine surgery!
RID: 1656955
09/12/11 5 5 5 5 Doctor Reich worked on my mother and myself. We are both doing great and I went skydiving a year and a month after the surgery. He may take a long time to get an appointment and you may wait to see him but it is just because he is through and takes his time with each patient.  Respond
RID: 1561958
15/10/11 5 5 5 5 I never had back problems until April 2011 when I herniated my L5/S1 Disc which was compressing my nerve. Dr Reich spent over an hour with me on the first visit explaining in detail my injury and the MRI results. Dr Reich did not push surgery and tried everything first. I ended up having surgery on 07/26/11. I have not had a back pain since the surgery. I went to therapy before and after the surgery and the therapists wanted Dr Reich information to recommend him to their other patients.Dr Reich is the best doctor that I have ever dealt with and I highly recommend him to anyone with a back problem.
RID: 1532716
08/09/11 5 4 5 5 I kept putting off spinal surgery because of the many horror stories heard from friends, business associates and the like. What kind of horror stories? Surgery didn't eliminate pain. Had to do it again. Partial paralysis. Saw many surgeons over a 2-year period but none gave me that warm fuzzy feeling. So I lived with the terrible leg pain. Then, the miracle occurred when we heard about Dr. Reich through a neighborhood acquaintance. Long story short, this genius medicine man did a 6-level lumbar laminectomy with bone fusion. "Major" surgery, to quote the good doctor. Lo and behold, I was walking that same night and all the leg pain was gone. It's been 8 weeks since the surgery and I'm healing properly and still completely pain-free. Not only is he a brilliant surgeon, but he's the most interested, caring doctor I've ever encountered. Only complaint is his jokes and storytelling are better than mine. Don't think twice about who to choose for spinal surgery - he's the ONE AND ONLY.  Respond
RID: 1502919
03/08/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Reich is a top doctor. He is not only skilled, knowledgeable and patient, but very caring and compassionate. You wouldn't find a doctor more passionate about the work he does--he gives his patients their active lives back. 5 months ago, at age 64, I had a 2-level spinal fusion (included cages, BMP, screws, rods) and I'm feeling great-like a new person. I recently danced the night away at my son's wedding. On my initial visit, Dr. Reich took his time and thoroughly reviewed my computer films and pointed out each area to be corrected and thoroughly described and explained any and all procedures to be done. I initially had a lengthy list of questions for Dr. Reich, but when he finished his review, I found that he had covered all the answers to my questions. He was the third doctor I had visited (including the Chief of Spine Surgery, NY Hospital for Special Surgery), and I knew immediately Dr. Reich was the doctor to do my surgery. He also has a fantastic office & hospital staff.
RID: 1486188
13/07/11 5 4 5 5 Excellent bedside manner. Extremely knowledgable but uses lay mans terms.
RID: 1466474
17/06/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Reich is the most compassionate and skilled doctor I have met. He has superior bedside manner. He operated on my husband and was so full of energy that we looked forward to seeing him each time. He is a doctor that strives for the best. His follow-up care is magnificient and every nurse at RWDMJ Hospital talks of him with the utmost respect. When they heard he was our doctor, they said "He is the BEST!" and he is!!
RID: 1447150
22/05/11 5 5 5 5 Dr Reich just repaired the spinal stenosis & slipped discs in my husband's back - Wonderful Job - The Best. And what a great personality. Caring & helped take the fear out of the whole experience. My husband's condition was severe but now thanks to Dr Reich he is back to landscaping full time - By the way, The staff is Excellent, too - very helpful & understanding - His partner Dr Sieler is my doc that's how we found Dr Reich. Dr Sieler is a Very Excellent ortho surgeon (Reich does backs, Sieler does other parts) - I can only say, All doctors & staff at Affiliated Orthopaedic Specialists at #1 in my book. Even they ladies in billing are sweethearts - Thanks to All Dr & Staff my husband has his life back. He was walking with a cane & having such unlivable pain - All Gone now thanks to them!!!
RID: 1438582
11/05/11 5 5 5 5 Out of 6 spine doctors I consulted even at NYHSS only DR.R was willing to do my multi level laminectomies w/ spinal decompression due to 100% stenosis. I suffered for YEARS but besides his willingness, his sincere caring& understanding of what I'd been thru plus his compassion, explanations&re view WITH me of my radiographs made me know I'd ended my search even before he made his recommendation. His skill& care never wavered. I did have some complications but even though by that time Dr.R was out of town w/ his wife for valentine's day, he took a 12 hr flight back to N Brunswich to take care of me. He choose the doctors in other specialties to co-operate w/ him and those physicians were also way above average. I think the residents @this facility need a lot more studying and training to learn to be like Dr. Reich&to listen to their patients but I can honestly say after being an R.N.. for 30+yrs., both Dr.Reich&Dr. M Risen arethe best!!!!!
RID: 1399152
28/03/11 5 4 5 5 Dr. Reish is OUTSTANDING! I am 31 year old teacher that needed a fusion on L4, L5 and S1. Less than 5 months later I felt fantastic! 10 months after the surgery I will be going skydiving thanks to Dr. Reisch and his fantastic staff. Your first appointment may take awhile to get, but it is TOTALLY worth the wait!
RID: 1393168
21/03/11 5 5 5 5 I was 57 when I went to Dr. Reich. I could not walk a block because of pain I had from my lower back down my right leg. I was ready to give up and start using a wheelchair to get around. I had seen other Orthopedists for this problem and all they would say was "you have arthritis what do you want"? Dr. Reich believed that he could help me right from the beginning. He gave me all the confidence that I would ever need to proceed with surgery. He removed arthritic growth from 4 vertibrae, replaced the discs between with bone material and fused the vertibrae. Surgery took place in Apr ‘10 and by Sep of that year, I was walking 2 mi; now (Mar ‘11) I can go even further. Since I am immuno-suppressed, Dr. Reich also made sure that only limited staff would be admitted to the OR. I have been to many mds and I never had another with his incredible bedside manner. He greatly improved my quality of life for which I will be always grateful. He is definitely "THE MAN" to go to for this surgery.
RID: 1021175
29/10/09 4 4 5 5 Dr. Reich is outstanding. After being literally disabled (bedridden) for 6 weeks with a ruptured cervical disc, he was the 3rd surgeon we consulted. He did not rush into the surgical option, although I ended up being in the small percentage that needed it to correct the problem. I was in intense pain for 6 weeks and 2 days post surgery I was 90% better! Dr. Reich is special and truly gave me back my life as a busy mom of 3 young children- his expertise, bedside manner and the commanding respect he has from his colleagues is second to none-he is highly recommended.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 900269
29/05/09 3 4 5 5 Excellent Doctor but the receptionist is indifferent. The doctor is honest and upfront. He will exam you, ask questions, have you ask questions and then tell you information he feels you should know and things he himself as a doctor would ask another doctor. Even though he does surgery he will tell you surgery sometimes should be your last option as in my case. He very upbeat and friendly and spend the time with you, there is no rush which makes him a little late for the next appointment but it's okay because you will als o get all the time you need with him. I wish I could have him handle all my medical care. He did do surgery on my husband and my husband recovered so very quickly. That was 7 years ago and he hasn't had a problem since...This man was truely sent by GOD with this gift and uses it very well.
* - Rating left by a registered user