Rate Dr. Michael A. Kropf

Dr. Michael A. Kropf's Ratings

I have had two surgeries by Dr. Kropf, a disc replacement and thoracic fusion. He was recommended to me by my wife's cousin, a retired and respected orthopedic surgeon. Dr. Kropf did not rush to surgery. But in both cases, he felt confident surgery could relieve me of my crippling back pain—after all other options were exhausted. I went to other top surgeons who recommended against surgery, but could not offer any alternatives. I opted to follow Dr. Kropf's advice, and I have my life back because of it. My lower back is completely pain free. I have only slight discomfort in the area of my fusion. I am fit, active, able to recreate and travel. I feel like he saved my life, and my entire family is grateful for what he has done for me.

Submitted May 29, 2013 | flag

Dr. Kropf suggested surgery for my pain which turned out to not be very effective. When I returned to ask what to do next he said I should wait 2 years before doing something else. I tried conservative therapies and nerve blocks with no lasting results, then consulted some other surgeons who agreed I needed a fusion, that Dr. Kropf's procedure would not work for my condition. Every visit to Dr. Kropf's office was a multi-hour ordeal with no explaination of why he was always hours late. His patient interaction skills are very odd.

Submitted Oct. 4, 2011 | flag

Doctor Kropf and his staff are top notch! 2 back surgeries in 2 yrs!! Both were successful and I'm grateful to Doctor Kropf! For those of you who say he lacks communication skills I say who cares! He's an introvert as are most Doctors I have dealt with. I did not go to him seeking his personality,language skills, etc. I went to him to be free of pain! I could careless if Doctor Kropf spoke 10 words to me or a 1,000 my only desire was, Can you help me? And yes he did!! He's awesome!! Barry Wallace (Bakersfield,Ca.)

Submitted May 2, 2011 | flag

I had seen 4 orth dr who said my injury was over there skill level each one recomened dr kropf he doesn't talk slot but hid staff make sure you know everything to be comfortable He will answer any question but his staff is highly trained he also get you in an out quick as possible you don't wait hour in the lobby he said he understand the pain were in so he dosen't over book on a scale of 1 to 5 I give him a 10

Submitted March 15, 2011 | flag

Dr. Kropf performed my Mother's lumbar spine surgery two years ago. This year he completed her cervical surgery. Dr. Kropf is extremely knowledgable and compassionate and my Mother's surgeries were a complete success. Additionally, her scarring is minimal. This is a medical group which specializes in all types of spine disorders and all their surgeons are world-class. I have recommended Dr. Kropf and the LA Spine Institute to many people and everyone I know who has dealt with the Spine Institute has had very successful surgeries. I have some issues regarding my neck, which I doubt will require surgery, but Dr. Kropf readily agreed to see me and ordered an MRI to investigate further. I would highly recommend Dr. Kropf and the LA Spine Institute.

Submitted Feb. 8, 2010 | flag

He may be a good surgeon but if he doesn't think you're bad enough to bring in the dough, forget him, no compassion, an ineffectual communicator. I shopped around after terrible tx by staff as well.

Submitted Jan. 27, 2010 | flag

I had severe back problems in 1992 and had had one failed surgery and was put in a body cast by another dr...When I saw Dr. Kropf things changed and he did a second surgery and put rods in my back. He has always seemed very knowledgeable and took time to hear what was going on with my past surgeries and progress. I have only good things to say about him and his Fullerton office staff. I have been virtually pain free after my rehab from surgery. I still have some muscle weakness etc. but I was in a hospital bed at home for 2 years before I saw him..so this is wonderful now! Back to fulltime work for the last 10 plus years..

Submitted July 21, 2009 | flag

I went to Dr. Kropf for recurring back pain. At the first visit, he took xrays and told me that there was nothing that could be done for me. I suffered for months before finding another doctor who offered a few simple solutions that helped dramatically. In the meantime, I waited for hours every time I went to his office, only to see a PA who hadn't even looked at my file. I took disability leave from work and my pain kept getting worse under his care. I became very depressed after his needlessly pessimistic prognosis. He never ordered an MRI, bloodwork, or any diagnostic test other than the original xray. He was extremely rushed when I saw him and gave me very little information about my condition. Basically, I think he determined that I wasn't a candidate for surgery and wrote me off at that point, without referring me to another doctor or doing anything to help me. Perhaps he is a good surgeon, but he was terrible at diagnosing and treating my problem.

Submitted April 2, 2009 | flag

horrible communicator, no compassion or support

Submitted June 11, 2008 | flag

I was extremely impressed with the care I received by Dr. Kropf and his office staff. He came highly recommend by two friends, both in the medical profession. Dr. Kropf performed my surgery nearly 7 years ago, and since that time, I have met many of his other patients, none of whom have had a single complaint about his management of their conditions. I can honestly say, as a fellow clinician, I don't feel I could have been treated by a more skilled, qualified, caring or competent physician. I was completely comfortable with his management of my back problem and very at ease facing the prospect of a somewhat frightening surgery knowing my procedure was in his hands. I owe my comfort and mobility to Dr. Kropf in that his care resulted in significant improvement in the quality of my life. My only regret is that I didn't have my procedure performed 2 years earlier when Dr. Kropf first recommended it. He is nothing short of excellent!

Submitted Aug. 31, 2007 | flag