Dr. JONATHAN K. Wise

Grad. Year: 1967

Answers Email: N
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.2 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 10 reviews. Dr. JONATHAN K. Wise has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Endocrinologist-related: Cushing's syndrome, hyperthyroidism, hypogonadism, metabolic bone disease, diabetes mellitus, pituitary dysfunction, neuroendocrinology, diabetes, pancreas, pituitary gland, ovaries, testes, thyroid, adrenal glands
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5676121
24/07/14 2 2 2 1 My thyroid condition was not resolved until I went to another endocrinologist. This doctor would not listen, was very impatient and seemed confused as to how to treat hot thyroid nodules. He would talk about 2-3 types of treatment, then leave the room without choosing anything but the 'bandaid' drug he put me on. When I called the office with more worrisome uncontrolled symptoms (chest pain, weakness, etc) I was faxed orders for blood work and called back by staff that these test were normal with no explanation and no change in treatment for the symptoms. My new endocrinologist ordered appropriate definitive treatment (radiation to ablate thyroid) and I am finally back to normal for the first time in a year.
Insurance: Blue Cross / Blue Shield

14/06/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 3.3
RID: 2736780
29/07/13 4 4 4 5 I have been a patient of DR. Wise for 17 years. He is an excellent physician. He is busy and you may sometimes have to wait. I find he runs on time I the early morning so I typically request my appointments at that time. His bedside manner can be a bit harsh at times, but he is a "tell it like it is" type of doctor. He is not going to sugar coat a thing and if you are not following protocol he is going to call you out on it because that is his job. He has kept me a very well controlled diabetic for the last 17 years. His personality may not be for everyone, but I have always felt that I am receiving excellent care.
RID: 2699103
02/07/13 5 4 5 5 My husband has been seeing Dr. Wise for approx. 20 years. He was referred by another MD who was unable to control my husband's diabetes. He immediately took him off of all oral meds and started him on insulin injections. His blood sugars and overall health improved within weeks.He detected a low testosterone level that was the cause of ostoeporosis and suggested he become part of a test group on injectable Forteo to correct the osteoporosis. He has even changed the blood pressure medication prescribed by the cardiologist because he felt the medication was too harsh for his kidneys. Many people have said that Dr. Wise may be rude and abrupt at times. He is a busy man and has very little patience with someone who does not follow his treatment plan. You need to be serious about your health and take care of yourself to have a successful relationship with Dr. Wise. In our book, he is by far the best, my husband would not still be alive and doing well @ 76 had it not been for his care.
Insurance: Humana
Paid (or co-pay): $35
RID: 2419911
07/09/12 1 3 1 5 Dont waste your time, athough the Dr. is knowledgeable, the staff is dumb. Takes weeks to get an appt. After being seen in April it is now Sept and have been seen for follow up bc of changes at the office.  Respond
RID: 1629777
09/11/11 4 3 5 5 He is soooo knowledgeable...so good at knowing what to zero in on and help fix the problem as long as you are willing...I have also had much contact with his staff and they are great as well...keep up the great work all of you...thanks! Would definitely recommend him to everyone.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 814473
05/03/09 3 3 5 5 A long time patient of his. Very satisfied with his knowledge and his thorough examinations. He has made changes to my medications when needed and has followed the changes in my health with a caring and thoughtful attitude. Highly recommended.
Insurance: United Healthcare
Paid (or co-pay): $15
RID: 537555
13/03/08 4 1 5 5 Dr. Wise is an easy-going and easy to talk to guy. I was impressed that let me talk about what my concerns were and then we decided together what the approach should be. He's even called me about stuff in my blood work that looked suspicious and prescribed over the phone for me. Dr. Wise is also my friend's doctor and her husband's doctor and they both feel extremely comfortable with him and are happy with the level of care they have received from him. I would recommend him to anyone in the NOLA area looking for a PCP. The only drawback is that the man is BUSY! So, as a new patient, you may be waiting a long time to see him. Also, he's one of those "chronically behind" doctors, so make sure you bring something to keep you busy while you wait, because wait you will. That said I am very glad he was recommended to me.
RID: 35972
13/07/06 1 1 4 i will never forget my experience with this doctor. My husband and i are shocked at the level of unprofessionalism he displayed. he was rude, made me cry and told me i was wasting his time. His responses are very vague and hard to understand. I was appalled to think that a doctor could be so cold and hurtful. I have found a new endocrinologist to assist me.
RID: 9502
21/07/05 5 5 5 I searched for a good endocrenologist for quite a while before finding Dr. Wise. God Bless him.Myra Stephenson-Chalmette La.  Respond
RID: 5295
08/02/05 5 5 5 Dr. Wise is one of those doctors who takes time to talk and connect with his patients. Initial visits take about 1 hr as he is very thorough in doing a history. Office staff is very professional.
Insurance: Coventry