Rate Dr. Garnette Sutherland

Dr. Garnette Sutherland's Ratings

Dr. Sutherland is AMAZING. I am confused about the negative comments as truly in my experience he has followed up with me, has provided in-depth explanations about my issue, he answers my questions easily and without any irritation or hurried manner. And he does have a sense of humor, a great one. I have done my research on this doctor and I think he's brilliant, aside from my own experiences. Very matter of fact personality, knows what he's doing and he's straight up with you which I like. I want facts and not to be coddled or pacified. I highly recommend him and will never give him up.

Submitted Oct. 19, 2012 | flag

I was very blest to have Dr. Sutherland and his team work on me. They made a terrifing experiance, into a positive one. I never in a million years would have guessed I would be laughing minutes before my crainiodamy to remove my sphendale meningioma. They did a wonderful job and my recovery has been easy. I thank them all for my second chance!

Submitted June 14, 2011 | flag

Once you get to know him, he does have a sense of humour! I think he is awesome. I recently saw him regarding a surgery, he didn't sugar coat it, he told me like it is. Which was great,I would rather that than have someone not tell me all the risks. In this case the risk outweighed the benefits. I would trust this man with my life, he is brilliant.

Submitted Feb. 7, 2011 | flag

i found this doctor to short of attention as well as short of caring and brain power. i had seen him and have been left with multiple complications thanks to the stupidity of his surgical care and lack of human compassion. his thoughts can been formally bought by other doctors as well as his diagnosises can be same,bought. he makes mistakes then believes he will be sued for same. his dept. heads cover for him as do all doctors cover for each other. he i would not recommend do vet surgery nor would i recommend any one get surgery from him.not if you want to live a decent life or live at all. he is what i would call not well in the field of care nor in the world of medicalknowledge.i would recommend any one find care outside of alberta if he was their only hope. a vet **** and blind would be better

Submitted Jan. 16, 2011 | flag

After waiting 9mos for an appt,he did my surgery within a week. He explained everything and showed me the MRI (I am a SLP) so could understand. He sent me home too early and I had a grand mal seizure. He apologized in front of his staff. I would trust him again.

Submitted Feb. 8, 2010 | flag

He operated on my mother after a bleeding aneurysm -- put in a shunt. He is direct, clear, and very busy. I wouldn't give him kudos on bedside manner or overly caring -- but when dealing with a surgeon I want someone who is an ace in the operating theatre, bedside manner be damned. The staff on Unit 112 at the Foothills are incredible and you can draw on tremendous knowledge and support from them (nurses, charge nurses, residents, etc). Dr. Sutherland is a total pro at what he does -- opening up people's heads and fixing bad situations. If that's what has to be done -- then he's your guy.

Submitted Feb. 2, 2010 | flag

Dr. Sutherland performed a 14 hour surgery on me. He is point blank with everything, he won't try to sugar coat things. But it was this brutal honesty that helped me so much, after surgery he pushed me to get up and move around, despite the fact that I couldn't stand. Because of him pushing me and barking advice at me I was able to get to rehab in 10 days and was walking within a month. Because of him pushing me and his incredible knowledge during my surgery I have the rest of my life to look forward to, I'm 19 and a student, time is of the essence to me in terms of recovery. I thank him with all my heart, I will say that you won't see anyone beter than him in terms of their skill. My tumor was stuck to my brainstem, but using his robotics Dr. sutherland got it out.

Submitted Aug. 17, 2009 | flag

I have only seen this doctor on a consultation and he is point-blank honest. He helped me make a very difficult decision and was openly honest. The doctor that did my surgery had all good things to say about Dr. Sutherland. Great bedside manners.

Submitted May 4, 2009 | flag

Dr. Sutherland is a brilliant Neurosurgeon, very knowledgeable, explained things well and attentive. He performed difficult neurosurgery on me with good results. He is very approachable and kind personality to provide a comfort to his patient on very sensitive health care issues.I would like to express my sincere appreciation and thanks.

Submitted March 7, 2009 | flag

Dr. Sutherland believed in me when after 8 years nobody else had. I have a condition called Chiari I Malformation, with a syrinx- 12 inches long in my spinal cord, attached at C4 vertebrae. He saved my life. The only thing I find disappointing is getting a follow-up appointment, it has been nearly 3 years, I still have a syrinx and still have pain and cannot get an appointment to see him without a new referral, I find this to be frustrating, but I owe my life to this man, I felt very comfortable with everything that I went through.

Submitted Feb. 20, 2009 | flag