You may also like

Rate Dr. Garnette Sutherland

Dr. Garnette Sutherland's Ratings

I have had two brain surgeries by Dr Sutherland. and I am also confused by the negative comments. Dr Sutherland is very straightforward and tells you exactly how it is, and gives you all the information you need. he has also followed up with me with my difficult case of trigeminal neuralgia. my first operation was to remove a tumor on my auditory nerve, and the second was a microvascular decompression surgery. throughout both surgeries he was heplful, reassuring and very knowledgable. I am still in need of another procedure to again correct my trigeminal neuralgia and he has referred me to another neurosurgeon for a procedure he does not do. I am very blessed to have had and continue to have Dr Surherland in my team. He does appear gruff, as many surgeons do. However, is is very caring and it shows through his work, follow up and everything he does.
he does have a sense of humor and that was nice to see.
I have read some people do not like his " matter of fact" approach, but I would rather have a doctor who is confident and knowledable then a doctor who is wishy washy and try's to baby me. I am here for a brain surgery not to be. babies. These are serious operations and he approachs them that way. I can not thank him enough for what he continues to do for me.
I have rated his staff lower because his secretary can be rude and not helpful. once she would not let me make an appointment with Dr Sutherland because she didn't understand my case. I had to call repeatedly for her to listen. Other then that I continue to trust my life with Dr Sutherland.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2684978].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 15, 2015

Dr. Sutherland is AMAZING. I am confused about the negative comments as truly in my experience he has followed up with me, has provided in-depth explanations about my issue, he answers my questions easily and without any irritation or hurried manner. And he does have a sense of humor, a great one. I have done my research on this doctor and I think he's brilliant, aside from my own experiences. Very matter of fact personality, knows what he's doing and he's straight up with you which I like. I want facts and not to be coddled or pacified. I highly recommend him and will never give him up.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1701115].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 19, 2012

I was very blest to have Dr. Sutherland and his team work on me. They made a terrifing experiance, into a positive one. I never in a million years would have guessed I would be laughing minutes before my crainiodamy to remove my sphendale meningioma. They did a wonderful job and my recovery has been easy. I thank them all for my second chance!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1701114].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 14, 2011

Once you get to know him, he does have a sense of humour! I think he is awesome. I recently saw him regarding a surgery, he didn't sugar coat it, he told me like it is. Which was great,I would rather that than have someone not tell me all the risks. In this case the risk outweighed the benefits. I would trust this man with my life, he is brilliant.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1701113].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 7, 2011

After waiting 9mos for an appt,he did my surgery within a week. He explained everything and showed me the MRI (I am a SLP) so could understand. He sent me home too early and I had a grand mal seizure. He apologized in front of his staff. I would trust him again.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1701111].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 8, 2010

He operated on my mother after a bleeding aneurysm -- put in a shunt. He is direct, clear, and very busy. I wouldn't give him kudos on bedside manner or overly caring -- but when dealing with a surgeon I want someone who is an ace in the operating theatre, bedside manner be damned. The staff on Unit 112 at the Foothills are incredible and you can draw on tremendous knowledge and support from them (nurses, charge nurses, residents, etc). Dr. Sutherland is a total pro at what he does -- opening up people's heads and fixing bad situations. If that's what has to be done -- then he's your guy.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1701110].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 2, 2010

Dr. Sutherland performed a 14 hour surgery on me. He is point blank with everything, he won't try to sugar coat things. But it was this brutal honesty that helped me so much, after surgery he pushed me to get up and move around, despite the fact that I couldn't stand. Because of him pushing me and barking advice at me I was able to get to rehab in 10 days and was walking within a month. Because of him pushing me and his incredible knowledge during my surgery I have the rest of my life to look forward to, I'm 19 and a student, time is of the essence to me in terms of recovery. I thank him with all my heart, I will say that you won't see anyone beter than him in terms of their skill. My tumor was stuck to my brainstem, but using his robotics Dr. sutherland got it out.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1701109].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 17, 2009

I have only seen this doctor on a consultation and he is point-blank honest. He helped me make a very difficult decision and was openly honest. The doctor that did my surgery had all good things to say about Dr. Sutherland. Great bedside manners.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1701108].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 4, 2009

Dr. Sutherland is a brilliant Neurosurgeon, very knowledgeable, explained things well and attentive. He performed difficult neurosurgery on me with good results. He is very approachable and kind personality to provide a comfort to his patient on very sensitive health care issues.I would like to express my sincere appreciation and thanks.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1701107].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 7, 2009

Dr. Sutherland believed in me when after 8 years nobody else had. I have a condition called Chiari I Malformation, with a syrinx- 12 inches long in my spinal cord, attached at C4 vertebrae. He saved my life. The only thing I find disappointing is getting a follow-up appointment, it has been nearly 3 years, I still have a syrinx and still have pain and cannot get an appointment to see him without a new referral, I find this to be frustrating, but I owe my life to this man, I felt very comfortable with everything that I went through.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1701106].votes_count ]]