Rate Dr. David M. Apel

Dr. David M. Apel's Ratings

Dr. Apel and his staff were consummate professionals. From the first appointment, Dr. Apel streamlined the process of understanding how spinal fusion surgery would benefit our daughter. She was an older patient, 23, but her spinal curve progressed and needed correction. He was articulate, reassuring, honest, knowledgable, and empathetic. Most of all he is a superb surgeon who straightened my daughter's spine and in the process, improved her quality of life. I would recommend Dr. Apel to everyone without reservation and indeed scream from the mountaintops, what a great surgeon he is. He is upbeat, encouraging, and empathetic. He has the skills to get the job done.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2466581].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 24, 2014

Dr.Apel was amazing when i had my surgery back in 2001...i was 13 at the time and he explained everything to me so i understood and i was not surprised about anything. Wish i had the same insurance and still lived close enough to still see him...trying to find a doctor for a check up that is knowledgable as him is very tough!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2135471].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 15, 2013

My daughter was diagnosed with a severe case of scoliosis in the last 2 weeks. We were sent out of town to see Dr. Apel. My daughter's father and I were very impressed and feel very confident with Dr. Apel performing my daughters spinal fusion to straighten her spine. He was very good with my daughter. When he mentioned surgery he is the one that noticed my daughter was very upset. I was concentrating on everything he was telling us I hadn't even noticed that my daughter was crying. He interupted the conversation with us and acknowledged her. My daughter is 14 years old. We are now waiting to hear from Dr. Apels surgery scheduler to get a surgery date. My first impressions of Dr. Apel are great...he knows how to talk to the parents and my child. He was very patient and answered every question and didn't make us feel like any of them were "stupid" questions. He was very thorough when he was explaining everything.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2135470].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 15, 2012

He was able to help me through everything. Scoliosis is no joke and he helped me with it. He's the best!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2135469].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 22, 2011

Dr. Apel performed a spinal fusion surgery when I was 14 or 15 years old. He is incredibly talented and confident in his ablilities. His communication skills are excellent. He is the reason as an adult my family is with kaiser even with all it's downfalls.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2135468].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 22, 2008

Dr. Apel has been my sons orthopedist for 13 years now, and I sing his praises. My sons feet and legs were horrid when he was born, and Dr. Apel has done several procedures on him...transforming him into a normal young man today. He could not even wear a shoe when he was born, but his friends can't even tell he is "different" now. Dr. Apel is a wonderful man, who not only explains things to Mom and Dad, but talks TO the patient, and asks how they feel about things, if they are in pain, what is hurting etc. We could have changed orthopedists to a much closer doctor, but you could not pay me to do that. We were considering moving out of state, and if we did, had already decided that we would continue to come back, for our sons ortho appointments, because of Dr. Apel.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2135467].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 30, 2007

I was quite impressed with Dr. Apel. When I was 12 he performed a corrective scoliosis procedure on me. He related to me on my level, answered any questions I had even seemingly dumb questions, and was very patient and compassionate towards me. I thought he was very helpful and explained everything to me and my parents.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2135466].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 21, 2007

Dr. Apel is rude, condescending, detached and one of the worst bedside manners I have ever encountered. Albeit he is presumably a fine surgeon, he has been a disaster with my child who is a one year old. He does not display the requisite compassion required of a doctor who works with pediatric patients. I am in the process of writing a formal complaint to Kaiser-Permanente member services to articulate my concerns about Dr. Apel's lack of an appropriate bedside manner when dealing with infant-pediatric patients.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2135465].votes_count ]]