You may also like

Rate Dr. Kevin Sloan

Dr. Kevin Sloan's Ratings

This doctor's office is like a conveyor belt in a factory. Hope your problem doesn't take more than 5 minutes to resolve because patients will be piled up everywhere.
And also, I hope you don't have a job or life so you can wait around to catch their phone call otherwise you wouldn't get an appointment with other specialists since they will not leave the information on voicemail.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2849457].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 26, 2015

Dr. Sloan has been my doctor since I was diagnosed with Melanoma. This year a family physician saw a reoccurence at surgical site, staff with Dr. Sloans office said they could take me in 7 months. My first melanoma caused 3 brain tumors, and now he is "too busy" to take me because OHIP doesn't pay as well as Botox apparantly. Sham on the new Dr. Sloan !!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2842190].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 18, 2015

I have required regular skin treatments for many years. When my previous dermatologist retired, I was referred to Dr. Sloan. The office staff were friendly and efficient, but the place, with lots of ads and literature about botox and other cosmetic procedures had an atmosphere more of a money making beauty salon than a medical office. Even the paintings on the wall were for sale. Each visit by Dr. Sloan followed the same pattern: shirt removal, quick liquid nitrogen spray, file entry and goodbye. After the second visit, I took to timing from when he entered the consulting room until he left. Longest time 2 mins, 14 secs. Shortest time 2 mins. 3 secs. Obviously OHIP doesn't pay as much as cosmetics, but the hourly rate must still be phenominal.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2835130].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 11, 2015

Worst experience I've ever had.

When I was a teenager, I had very mild acne that went away on it's own like most teens. I'm now 26 and have had moderate to severe acne for the past 3-4 years. I've tried almost everything and spent hundreds of dollars on different acne fighting cleansers, toners, creams and spot treatments. And of course I've spent hundreds of dollars on high end foundations on concealers to high my terrible acne. I've tried almost every drug store brand of face wash you can think of, I've tried Proactiv, Mario Badescu, Arbonne, Bare Bones, Ole Hendrikson and all have worked for the first few months but once my skin got used to these products, I'd end up back where I started. I even changed my diet. For a short while I became obsessed with lime greek yogurt and ate it for breakfast almost every day not realizing at first that it gave me huge cystic breakouts around my chin. I quickly cut out all dairy and after a month my cystic acne went away. But I still had my normal breakouts especially around my period not to mention some scarring and a lot of redness especially around my chin and jawline. My acne has been so awful that even my Kat Von D concealer can't cover up my breakouts and that stuff can cover up tattoos! I've thought about every possible scenario - it can't be the make up I'm using because I only use high end make up on my face, it can't be my diet because I eat very healthy and exercise regularly, still no dairy, very little bread, very little sweets and I drink a lake of water every single day. I've even thought about taking milk thistle which is an oral medication used to help the liver function better. Acne breakouts occur in different areas for different reasons, if you break out around the chin it can be because of your digestion or your liver is not processing the way it's supposed to. However milk thistle is in the ragweed family which I am allergic to....
My acne has been so frustrating that I can't leave the house without make up on. I feel so self conscious that I can't even go to the gym or pump gas without even a little concealer on.

My last hope was seeing a dermatologist. The one person that has all the answers to everything skin related, including acne. My family doctor referred me to Dr. Sloan so after waiting 6 months for an appointment I was so excited to finally get down to the bottom of my acne; why I was getting these break outs and how I can get rid of my redness and scarring.

When I arrived at the clinic I waited 25 minutes to see the doctor which was to be expected. When I finally saw him, I felt like the appointment lasted 5 minutes. I felt very rushed and wasn't even able to ask any questions. When he asked me a question, I started to respond and he would cut me off and ask another question. Caught off guard, I'd start to answer the next question and get cut off again. He'd ask me if I've been on birth control and I tried to tell him yes but I didn't have acne at the time and then he'd cut me off again and ask about my hormones and said I always break out during my period but it never clears, I'd move on to the next break out. I feel that he prescribed me the same thing he prescribes every acne patient even though every patient has a different form of acne and has different root of the cause. He didn't take the time to try and explore that with me. He did not take the time to explain to me what he was prescribing. He soon left and had sent another lady in with free samples but I had no idea if I was supposed to get my prescription filled for the samples I was getting or if it was for something totally different. Thankfully, the pharmacist and all the girls working at that desk were super friendly and helpful. At that point I was so frustrated I bawled my eyes out in front of them, I was so embarrassed but never felt so insignificant. One of the employees priced everything out for my and called my insurance company for me to find out how much would be covered which I'll be going back tomorrow to see how much everything will cost. If it's affordable I'll give it all a try because I've tried it all and I'm quickly losing hope. I'm nervous to try TactuPump because the reviews are just awful. I'm scheduled to see Dr Sloan again in two months and if everything he prescribed works then I guess I have nothing to complain about it that regard but if this fails I will not be going back. This was by far the worst experience, I've never felt so belittled and frustrated. Dr Sloan was supposed to answer all my questions and get me the help I've been needing for years and I left feeling so unsatisfied and confused. I'm tired of slapping on layers of make up to hide my face from everyone, I'm tired of being too insecure to look into the eyes of the person speaking to me. I need help and Dr Sloan was the opposite of that...

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2812325].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 20, 2015

I was referred by my family doctor. I did not have any issues with the reception. I did not have to wait very long. However he looked at me for 5 seconds and said I have a skin disease. He handed me a pamphlet. He asked why I went to see an allergist. I answered that I had mysterious hives for the last few months and that I had to try to figure out the reason because I could not continue taking allergy pills due to the fact that I was trying to conceive. He asked if I have a drug plan. He prescribed 3 expensive medications. Later that day I picked up the prescriptions and was reading the information when I realised that every single one of them says to not use during OR before pregnancy. One of the pills said that you need to use a very reliable form of birth control due to serious birth defects! I called the following day and was told to only use the one face cream. Follow up appointment 2 months later - no improvement in the condition whatsoever. He told me to stop trying to conceive so I vantake the pills. Like an idiot I obeyed him. Wasted 4 months of my life taking those pills with yet again NO improvement. As soon as I stopped taking the pills - MASSIVE flare up of the condition. This doctor has no interest in his patients' quality of life.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2799472].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

Receptionist and staff are ok. Any time I've been there I get the feeling I'm inconveniencing him. For cosmetic stuff sure I guess he's ok, but if I had any serious concerns I can't say id be comfortable returning.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2615523].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 11, 2014

I saw Dr. Sloan for the first time this week. I found the reception very friendly and helpful. Dr. Sloan was very kind and very thorough . Overall an excellent experience.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2582848].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 17, 2014

I was hesitant to go to Dr. Sloan after reading the reviews but I didn't experience anything close to what was posted. The secretary was professional and I was seen right on time. Dr. Sloan was very helpful with my non-cosmetic concerns and even made small chat and asked about my life. He was friendly and thorough, spending time to examine my skin. My only negative comment would be that he didn't knock before entering the room after I changed.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1717425].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 26, 2013

Very punctual. Was shown into a room and told to sit on exam table. Dr Sloan walked in, spent maybe 30 secs asking me why I was there -- referred by family dr because of two spots that wouldn't heal -- spent most of the time writing notes. Then walked over, turned away from me, and said "close your eyes". When I did he sprayed me with liquid nitrogen in 4 spots -- two of which were the trouble spots. That was it; no explanation; no asking permission to invade my space; no telling what I was to do with these honking big brown burned spots on my face and chest! Come back in 6 wks. he said. OK. Do I trust him the next time? I don't care if he IS the only dermatologist in St. Catharines. This was inexcuseable behavior from a professional.

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][1717424].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 27, 2013

contrary to what has been written, I found the office friendly,courteous. The receptionist was friendly and quite pleasant. I found the doctor very nice, a bit uptight, but all in all he knew what to do and took the proper measures to insure a proper outcome. I found him to be rather pleasant. Also one has to remember that he is the only dermatologist in St. Catharines and the wait times will be lengthy. Keep that in mind when your next appointment may be 6 or so months down the road.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1717423].votes_count ]]