Dr. Shane McKay

Rate Dr. Shane McKay

Dr. Shane McKay's Ratings

Dr. MacKay is amazing. When other practitioners were unable to help me sleep or manage my anxiety, he was willing to listen and work with me to find the right combination of meds to help me be the person I wanted to be. While he is a medicine doctor, he is a strong proponent of exercise and healthy eating. He is empathic, professional, and highly skilled. I feel very privileged to be under his care.

Submitted Dec. 16, 2013 | flag

Count me as another patient whose experience with Dr McKay is at odds with the negative reviews. The initial 1 1/2 hour consultation was extensive and although we were not able to complete a full profile then, we have fleshed this out in follow up visits. The more data you can provide, the better he is able to make an appropriate Dx. His approach to medication(s) has been extremely conservative; he has never failed to take my reactions seriously and in contrast to other psychiatrists, he tailored a much slower titration schedule, addressing my specific needs. I also greatly appreciate his methodical approach; he only changes one variable at a time. He is the first psychiatrist who I have seen who has worked collaboratively with me - no 'my way or the highway' - and I have yet to feel stigmatized for my host of issues. As for insurance, he does not accept it, but the office does process claims. My only regret is that I did not find him earlier.

Submitted Nov. 12, 2012 | flag

I came across this review page by happenstance when looking up contact info for the Berkeley Therapy Inst. The negative reviews here are startling, yet I am sure that every psychiatrist gets negative reviews. Mental illness is complex. I take a cocktail of a about 4 meds... and have for about 15 years. He has decreased and increased dosages, replaced and reintroduced meds as needed. I had adverse reactions to many meds, so it took a long time to get the help i needed. i am not perfectly happy and healthy. i am stable. i am functioning. i am not a burden on anyone and i am able to enjoy life most of the time. i am grateful to dr mackay for his disciplined approach to finding the right mix. he has even suggested certain herbal supplements at different times. i see a therapist 2 x a month, which i have been doing for 15 years. It is the combination that keeps me healthy.

Submitted Oct. 26, 2012 | flag

Dr. Mckay is the best psych doctor ever, he is non-judgemental and very pleasant, he doesn't have that typical psychiatrist look. I am so happy I found him to be my treating psych doctor, I would be 5150 without his care for sure. If you have anxiety,depression or bi polar, he is a great psychiatrist and had made my life functional and shall I use the word "Normal"

Submitted Sept. 8, 2012 | flag

Dr. MacKay was a god-send. He is by far the best psychiatrist I have been to. He is incredibly knowledgable, understanding and helpful. He has a deep knowledge of mood disorders as well as medication. He is everything I was looking for in a psychiatrist- welcoming, friendly and non judgmental. His number one priority is to serve his patients, unlike other psychiatrist I have seen, who are serving a bureaucracy, He is outstanding and I will continue to see him on a regular basis.

Submitted Feb. 4, 2012 | flag

I'm also shocked by some of these negative reviews, and can only deduce that perhaps some people don't want to be accountable for their role in their own care? It takes work to figure out what works, on both the part of the doctor and the patient. I've found Dr. MacKay to be a very solid partner as I navigate my mood disorder and the best way to treat it. You don't like meds? Fine, don't try them. But don't blame a psychiatrist that you paid to treat you for using one of the major tools in his toolbox. That's absurd. I went to a shrink and he put me on meds! Oh the humanity!... grow up. Dr. MacKay is smart, thoughtful, concerned and always available. Furthermore, when I decided to try going with no meds, we communicated about the risks and I know I can call him at a moment's notice should I need to. And then he gave me his support; no "mighty doctor judging silly little person" routine. I feel confident that my work with him is important, whether I wind up on meds or not.

Submitted July 6, 2011 | flag

Dr. MacKay has saved my life. He accurately diagnosed me when many others had not. He has been profoundly patient with me. He is one of the best people I know.

Submitted May 24, 2011 | flag

I've been a patient of Dr. MacKay's for 12 years. I've seen 12+ psychiatrists, in 3 countries. Dr. MacKay is the only one who's never treated me with the slightest condescension. I vividly recall my shock during my 1rst visit (age 22 and a total mess) at the fact that a psychiatrist was actually listening. I'm bipolar, a diagnosis Dr. M was admirably slow to come to (he doesn't go for medical fashions). I'd been dangerously misdiagnosed by drs who ignored what I told them. Dr. M. is invariably attentive, careful in his diagnoses and prescriptions, kind, & most importantly, respectful. He's very open to discussions/negotiation with his patients; if your meds aren't working, he'll listen & try something else (keep in mind that psych.s aren't therapists, and are there for meds). Dr. M. respects my intelligence & experience; I have great freedom to decide what is/isn't working and to figure out for myself what dose works. He works with me, not on me, and I am alive because of him.

Submitted May 20, 2011 | flag

I have been seeing Dr MacKay for about 4 years now and as I have a serious diagnosis it has taken some time and trial to figure out just what medication would work for me. I am most thankful to Dr MacKay for his support and experience in helping me not only find new medications when some stopped working but also in finally getting me to a place where I am both mentally and physically healthy.

Submitted July 26, 2010 | flag

Dr. MacKay is a very positive, professional, patient, bright and conscientious practitioner. His is a unique combination of caring and objectivity. He has helped me with my meds for years, coordinating with my therapist appropriately. I cannot imagine a better or better informed practitioner. The friends and business associates I've referred to him have also had nothing but positive experiences with him.

Submitted July 22, 2010 | flag