Rate Dr. Ian M. Purcell

Dr. Ian M. Purcell's Ratings

Our adult son suffered acute vertigo and headaches. He saw some of the best known specialists in the area and since they could not find the problem, insisted there wasn't one. Upon hearing of Dr. Purcell, we had to battle to get authorization for an "out of plan" referral. After months of tests and little hope, Dr. Purcell assured us that something was physically wrong and that it would be found. He determined that our son had Superior Canal Dehisence Syndrome, a conditon that was only discovered in 1995 by researchers at Johns Hopkins. With the help and encouragement of Dr. Purcell, we were able to again go "out of plan" and fly to Baltimore where we met and our son was examined by the doctor who discovered the condition. After two cranial surgeries over the course of 12 months and another year or so to heal and adjust our son has resumed a normal life without constant vertigo. In every way, Dr. Ian Purcell was light years ahead of the other specialists we saw and a great guy!

Submitted Oct. 25, 2013 | flag

I was diagnosed with a rare balance condition and was extremely confused why I wasn't getting any better. I was frustrated by all the neurologists I saw beforehand who didn't know what they were talking about. I finally found Dr. Purcells clinic and went and saw them. After the first visit I felt really at ease knowing that they really knew what they were doing there. They thoroughly explained my problem to me and the long term affects and did numerous tests to back up what their original hypothesis was. They put me on therapy and gave me exercises I should be doing. It really helped out a lot. Even though I still have problems, and always will, I am greatly improved from when I first saw his clinic. Dizziness and unbalance can be a really frustrating problem, but Dr. Purcell is there to help you out.

Submitted May 20, 2013 | flag

I traveled 600 miles to see Dr. Purcell. At first he and his staff were nice and willing to help. The reason I am writing this review is because I failed to ask one major question. It may help others. One needs to ask, before the appointment is made, if the doctor and his office staff are willing to help you further when you return home. I had further questions when I returned home. Their office was contacted more than once. When I called the first time, I was told they would get back to me with the information. I never received a call back. I understand that I am out of the area and that I am not a regular patient, but I expect a doctors office to act professional. If they are unable to help patients out of the area after they return home, they need to make one return call and state that to the patient. I waited a normal amount of time. When they did not call back I found help by doing my own research. I felt very disappointed, hurt and perplexed by the experience.

Submitted Oct. 11, 2012 | flag

Dr. Purcell and his staff were kind, thoughtful, genuine, educated and thorough. He was the first of the three neurologists I've seen, who took the time to help me (and my husband) understand what was happening to me - why it was happening and how to treat it. I was so thankful that he didn't just push drugs at me and send me on my way! If you're seeking actual healing, versus simply medicating symptoms then I wholeheartedly suggest Dr. Purcell,

Submitted Sept. 23, 2012 | flag

I was very impressed with Dr Purcell. I have had severe episodes of vertigo for the last 6 years and have been to several Neurologists here in San Diego and to Mayo Clinic. I never got a diagnosis. I saw Dr Purcell and he finally diagnosed me with the crystals in my ear and got them on video tape. He repositioned them on the epley chair and I am back to 100%. Thank you Dr Purcell!

Submitted June 29, 2011 | flag

I was really plagued by dizziness and imbalance issues for years and not until I visited Dr. Purcell did I feel that I was understood by anyone else. He and his staff are amazing and have helped me to feel "normal" again. I walked into the office in tears because of my frustration and lack of finding anyone to help me and I walked out of the office in tears of joy - that someone really understood,was compassionate and told me that they would definitely be able to help me and actually did help me! I very highly recommend Dr. Purcell and his associates - they are truly a group of gifted and professional doctors. They have truly helped me to go on and live a normal life and I am forever grateful to them:)

Submitted July 30, 2009 | flag

I'm extremely surprised to see any negative comments about this amazing Otoneurologist. He not only solved my husband's acute vertigo within a 45-minute initial appointment, he is the first doctor I've ever seen to think outside the box when it comes to my Migraines. After seeing multiple Migraine Specialists and Neurologists none have ever ordered a sleep study to rule out Sleep Apnea like Dr Purcell (I found out I do have Sleep Apnea because of that very study he prescribed); none have ever sent me to a physical therapist who specializes in inner ear disorders like he has (my last Neuro told me vertigo and dizziness are just a part of my Migraines and said/did no more); and none have ever respected the fact that I want to find the causes of my pain, not just use medications as a band-aid, which only adds to my symptoms. He's very driven about getting to the bottom of my health issues. He fills me with hope, and if you have chronic pain you understand how much that means.

Submitted July 7, 2009 | flag

My husband has been seeing Dr. Purcell for problems with being dizzy and unbalanced. The staff has always been very attentive. The dr. has been on time within 15 minutes. He has given my husband balance tests and exercises which have helped. Two months ago my husband had an unusually bad dizzy spell and the dr. ordered a CT Scan which came out OK. Nevertheless, Dr. Purcell gave us his private cell # to call if the dizziness persisted and he even called us twice over the weekend to make sure my husband was doing OK. As suspected, this dizzyiness episode was caused by a medication prescribed by another dr.

Submitted March 21, 2009 | flag

Submitted Dec. 14, 2007 | flag

This doctor's office is very unorganized. He was very late and did not provide adequate treatment. I would recommend seeing another doctor.

Submitted Jan. 8, 2007 | flag