You may also like

Rate Dr. Steven A. Weisblatt

Dr. Steven A. Weisblatt's Ratings

I had been referred to the Dr. by a friend who had good results. Though I saw these ratings, I still decided to try the doc out. In fact, he was thorough, caring and incredibly helpful. I wonder if the people writing negative reviews simply didn't like the diagnosis and are knocking his work.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1739880].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 30, 2010

Starting with staff, he has none. He runs two practices, one in PA and one in NYC, by himself. That alone should tell you something. He is spread too thin, and often gives you the feeling that you're wasting his time, the time I might add that you pay dearly for. No staff means no billing department which means he does not accept insurance so you have to pay him in full and then bill your insurance provider on your own time. It also means no receptionist to screen his call so he answers both his office phone and his cellphone in the middle of sessions VERY VERY frequently. He does not have a lot of patience for questions or talk of feelings. He doesn't take you into account just your blood levels and your bipolar symptoms. You will gain weight and loose sleep on your drugs. He diagnosed 3 of my family members with bipolar disorder and had me convinced that my kids would suffer the same fate. He is extremely disrespectful to everyone & does not apologize for being arrogant and abrasive.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1739879].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 24, 2010

I am writing a review to let people know that when I went to see Dr. Weisblatt I was in need of a correct diagnosis. Not only did I feel verbally attacked when he spoke to me but I left unhappy and more confused about what was wrong with me. I was also diagnosed by him as having soft bipolar which I did not feel was correct. I seeked a second opinion and was diagnosed by a different psychiatrist who told me that I have classic signs of OCD. My psychiatrist told me that if I was to be put on lithium the way dr. weisblatt wanted to treat me that it would have made my OCD Worse! Also my therapist told me there is no such thing as soft bipolar. I really don't understand how he is getting away with this!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1739878].votes_count ]]

Submitted Aug. 16, 2010

Please look carefully for a mental health professional. We could not find anyone to provide service for a family member. He is as others have suggested, smug and arrogant. He makes his client and his/her family feel inferior and in several instances resulted in some verbal bullying when engaged in discussions about treatment plans/medications. We are still trying to regroup after spending a number of sessions with this individual. Thank goodness we were finally able to see through the junk he was handing us. Think about it: a bipolar diagnosis with 100% certainty after an initial 15 minute interview??? On a personal level, I am still trying to deal with my decision making in taking someone I love dearly to this individual. The signs were there, yet I missed them. Please do your homework when looking for a mental health provider, even if it means waiting a time for an appointment.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1739875].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 27, 2010

We saw Dr. Weisblatt one time for 90 minutes during which we considered his bipolar diagnosis and his treatment plan involving doses of Lithium and the very potent drug Zyprexa. During the session he criticized our present psychiatrist without giving specifics, critiqued his PA colleagues as misdiagnosing, and noted that he was called in to remedy the horrendous situation in PA. He presented a PowerPoint slide show explaining his diagnosis, and as other contributors have noted, he took several phone calls during the session. After only one session, I cannot conclude with confidence that he tries to shoehorn most of his patients into his favorite diagnosis (bipolar disorder) and his favored treatment (heavy medication), but the corroboration for that hypotheses from approximately 20 reviewers on websites is overwhelming. With a few exceptions the reviewers comment on his arrogance, quick diagnosis, heavy medication, and high fees. Our experience supports the negative reviews.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1739874].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 16, 2010

dr. weisblatt is the worst doctor i have ever been to. He misdiagnosed me with bipolar and put me on medications causing me to gain 45 pounds,raise my cholestorol from 175 to 380. I was on so much medication that i could not even speak. He is rude, obnoxious and a megalomaniac. He constantly told methat only he was qualified to treat me. I have seen four other psychiatrists that all agree in that i do not have bipolar and never should have been on those meds. Other docs in his area have told me that every patient of his is diagnosed with bipolar and put on the same cocktail. Stay away from him!!!!!!! And like other patients those phone calls were annoying.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1739871].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 18, 2009

no good at all.. hes's smug.. rude..and overly expensive.. word of advice to anyone reading this if you or a family memeber is feeling down find a doctor who will listen and cares and doesnt't want to push massive amounts of medication on you... this guy was horrible!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1739870].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 31, 2009

I just ended sessions with this doctor because he made me feel like an idiot. While I may not be the smartest person alive, there is no reason to belittle me. And it is true, he does take calls all throughout the appointment, that was very annoying, especially because you are paying for the time and he ends right on time and doesn't make up the time missed while he is on the phone.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1739869].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 3, 2008

Overbearing and difficult to deal with. Prescribes very heavy doses of medication. Orders excessive blood work. Any mistakes with scheduling blamed on patient. There are many other doctors who are kinder, more responsive, and careful with medication.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1739868].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 24, 2008

My daughter was seeing Dr. Weisblatt. He is an excellent doctor. He is direct. He is strict. He doesn't beat around the bush. I am a psychologist who does bipolar seminars so I can tell you, he knows his stuff. Sometimes I refer to him affectionately as Dr. Wise Ass, but c'mon. He's a New Yorker, and he does have a sense of humor. The decision is ultimately yours. Do you want to get better or not? Mania is not a "personality", so when a person is on medication to balance the chemicals in their brain, they have to develop their own personality and can no longer rely on the mania to do it for them. Some people are addicted to the mania so they play with their meds. Bad idea! I have heard people say, "These meds take my personality away. They make me slow." No! They make them normal and from there they develop their own personality and speed. Other (more truthful) people will say they want to go off their meds "to get high". Dr. Jay (jaycarter.net)

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1739867].votes_count ]]