Dr. Gary M. Flangas

Grad. Year: 1989

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.2 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 21 reviews. Dr. Gary M. Flangas has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: Does he do the baloon disc replacement?    Email me    Answer it

Neurosurgeon-related: nervous system, cervical and lumbar spine problems, brain tumors, neurovascular problems, peripheral nerve problems, neurological surgery, brain and spinal cord tumors, skull-base surgery, brachytherapy, aneurysm surgery, epilepsy surgery, neurological surgery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

01/07/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 2.0

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Gary" to "Gary M."
RID: 2127088
10/05/12 2 5 2 2 Disappointed with Dr. Flangas. He recommended surgery, sent me to a 2nd opinion who agreed, and then was influenced by insurance. Insurance company told him no surgery and I was dropped like a bad habit. No explanation, no advice, and no compassion. I am still in the same level of pain and have no Dr. To turn to unless I pay cash. (due to insurance) What a disappointment! $$$$$$  Respond
RID: 2110651
04/05/12 5 5 5 5 My husband received a micro lumbar discectomy from this doctor a few weeks ago. The staff at his office are very friendly and nice. After the surgery was over the Dr. personally came out to the waiting room and updated me directly on my Husbands status. I wish I could say the same of the nurses at UMC. I had to constantly bug them to get an update. So far my husband seems in a lot less pain than what he started with but I guess time will tell. Dr. Flangas was very informative and polite and I hope that this is the first step in my husband becoming pain free.
RID: 1674666
02/01/12 5 5 5 5 Gary Flangas and his entire medical staff is spot-on perfect in every area of concern. He is a fine doctor and a superb gentleman. You will get all the time you need with him during your consult, during pre-op and post-op. You will understand what is going to be done and why. All questions will be answered. He assuaged all of my concerns and gave me a peace that surpasses all understanding regarding my back surgery in May of 2011. I had bad stenosis and needed two discs fused. The same is true of my neck which he will operate on this year 2012. Gary Flangas is the best of the best!
Insurance: Anthem
Paid (or co-pay): $3000
RID: 1559385
12/10/11 5 5 5 5 DR. FLANGAS AND STAFF ARE EXCELLENT. I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF A WORK INJURY AND HE HAS BEEN INFORMATIVE AND HELPFUL. STILL UNSURE IF SURGERY IS NEEDED, BUT HE HAS BEEN THERE TO LISTEN AND EXPLAIN EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. I AM CONFIDENT IN HIS DECISIONS AND KNOW THAT I WILL HEAL.
RID: 1501056
01/08/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Flangas was able to fix my problem that I have had for 2 years. I sought help from many other doctors that could not help me, I highly recommend him... Natalie and Theresa were amazing :).  Respond
RID: 1484361
11/07/11 5 5 5 5 Gary Flangas is an amazing doctor - competent, thorough, patient, and highly skilled. He operated on my back on 5/23/11,to correct severe stenosis and do spinal fusion on L3 & L4. Five weeks after surgery, I went off all pain meds. I had severe pain in my buttocks and both legs and could hardly walk. He is a life saver. His staff, especially Natalie and Theresa, are exceptional. If you need a back surgeon, look no further than this great man.
Insurance: Blue Cross / Blue Shield
RID: 1344178
23/01/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Flangas operated on my cervical spine on 1 dec 2010. He fused C-5 C-6, and C-7. This doctor is probably the best surgeon in Las Vegas. His bedside manner was excellent and his knowledge was outstanding. I consider him as Highly Recommended. I couln't have received better care under him. Hats off to the best.
Insurance: Tricare
RID: 1324653
31/12/10 4 2 1 1 He is an absolute WC insurance ****. Wouldn't examine films, wouldn't do a thorough physical, all he did was go over "adjuster's allegations" and then end the appointment with "why would the insurer make up such things". Stated symptom magnification when I had no diagnosis at the time. All he did was copy and paste a radiologist report verbatim from MRI's that were 18 months old at the time. 6 months after the Flangas visit, new MRI's were taken as per my new treating physician and the problem had gotten out of control. Been on TTD for 2 years with the condition getting worse. Flangas was supposed to conduct an Independent Medical Examination to determine if the cervical injury was related to the industrial accident. I had no diagnosis, had never been treated for it and his comments were "he has secondary gain issues, and that's why HE IS NOT RESPONDING TO TREATMENT". How can you respond to something you don't have lol? Insurance **** is all I have to say.
RID: 1301735
26/11/10 5 4 5 5 He informed me of all my options. He was compasionate and professional. I had a c56 fusion with a plate and donor bone. It has been 2 months and I feel great. His staff is amazing as well.
RID: 1295887
17/11/10 5 5 5 5 this doctor has changed my life every doc told me i would be worse if i got surgery and thay had me very scared of surgery i went to see flangas and he spent the time to be a real doc and find out what was going on and i have to say he is the best i decided that even tho every other doc had me scared to let flangas do my surgery and he is so good that if u need to have a back surgery he is the one before the surgery the pain management doc i was seeing had me on oxycotin percocet and somas the very next day after surgery i was able to say in the first time since i got hurt that i could say i dont need any thing for pain no matter even tho i was in very bad pain but it was different it was surgery pain no matter what any one says there is no better all i herd for a over 1yr was i would be worse if i had the surgery flangas proved them all rong now it is very pain full to have surgery but i expected it to be way worse he proved every one rong and i thank god that he was my surgen  Respond
RID: 1288820
08/11/10 2 1 1 1 I live in northern Nevada. I was injured on the job 2 14/07. The insurance carrier is Corchean case managment for Zurich insurance. This is an extermly corrupt insurance company. They wanted to make me fly out to Las Vegas to see Dr. Flangas. It was aruged by a phone conference that, that would be absurd for me to do this. So I was seen and evaluated by a Dr, in Reno. Dr Flangas wrote up a negative report rebutting the opinion of the Neuro surgeon who saw me. So Dr Flangas, who never laid eyes on me, never physically saw me was obvioulsy paid off by the insurance company to write down a negative report on me. I will be reporting him to the medical board for investigation. I hope he looses his lisence. If I were someone, I would be terrfied to pay this man a visit. My advise stay clear of him
RID: 1266073
06/10/10 1 5 1 1 Unbelievably rude doctor! I can see by the reviews that there is a big difference in the treatment you receive if you are involved in a workmans comp case. He didn't explain the surgery at all to me but treated me as if I was stupid for being reluctant to have neck surgery. I might be able to reduce my pain. Sorry might is not enough for me. I would never let someone who treated me so badly perform any surgery on me. The receptionist was so nice which made it even more shocking that he was so abrupt and rude.
RID: 1219209
30/07/10 5 5 5 5 Dr. Flangas is the greatest. I cannot thank him enough. He did a microdiscetomy on me exactly 2 years ago. I had been suffering for months and was to the point I could not hardly walk and my leg and foot were completely numb. I had a small chance for 100% recovery and today I am more than 100% better. I highly recommend Dr. Flangas. You will not find a more effective and caring surgeon. Words cannot do him justice.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 1181283
02/06/10 5 5 5 5 I had a Micro Lumbar Discectomy on February 1st, 2010 after having been in severe pain for several months - I could no longer walk. He diagnosed the problem almost immediately. After having the proper tests and being told I nedeed surgery, I was afraid to go through it. I finally decided to have the surgery and it was nothing short of a miracle! Surgery was quite painful and I wouldn't move for several days afterward. After several phones calls to the Doc I finally gave in and walked as much as I could everyday. Going to bed I was in much pain everyday and worried to death that I had messed it up again however, I woke up stronger every day. I was back to work and feeling 100% in three weeks! While I do not plan to go through this again, I will absolutely go back to him if necessary!
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 958526
09/08/09 5 5 5 5 I have several problems with my back & went to some orthopedic Docs & they wanted to do surgery all of them right away. Dr. Flangas worked with me for 3 years until I needed to fix 2 herniations due to my leg went numb & I was in horrible pain, he performed the surgery in Dec. 08 & I have the feeling back. I wasn't in love with the anesthesia guy but Dr. Flangas was great. I have had to continue with my pain mgt. Dr. Sharma cause I will never be out of pain, some things are unfixable. I am now making another appt. in the morn for a second surgery to do 2 other herniated discs & trust him to do it again. I did see a Dr. Kim for pain mgt. first & he was terrible including his P.A. I was originally referred to Dr. Flangas from an Attorney that does claims against docs so that should tell you everything, if he could trust him I could too!
Insurance: Blue Cross / Blue Shield
RID: 887794
14/05/09 3 5 3 4 I went to see Dr. Flangas and he did my surgery for disc replacement in C6 and C7. And I had to get a second opinion to prove that his surgery was a failure. The bones didnt fuse and he swore there was nothing more he could do for me. He sent me to a pain management doctor. He needs to stop being so sure that he is perfect and he can make no mistakes. And he also has to give his patients the benefit of that there not lying about their pain. And that they dont have to live with the pain. He is too sure of himself and needs to come down a notch.
RID: 691659
26/09/08 5 5 5 5 Its now two years since my surgery. I am pain free for the first time in 15 years. Dr. Flangas is a gift. He doesn't give up on you. I was known as the "Runaway Patient" because I was so scared to make this decision. He never gave up on me, and gently kept reminding me that surgery really was my only answer. He did not push, in fact he is just the opposite. He tries not to have to do surgery, but when it is necessary, believe me, he is the one you want at your side. I went to many physicians and surgeons and got second opinions, but my instinct said to stick with him. Thank God I did. I can now enjoy life with my 13 year old so much better than before. I would recommend him highly.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 502536
02/02/08 5 5 5 5 Kind, compassionate and reassuring.One of the few doctors that listens. Does not push unecessary surgery or medication.  Respond
RID: 475855
03/01/08 5 5 5 5 Dr. Flangas is an amazing physician. He is kind and very informed. He performed neurosurgery on me four years ago. Dr. Flangas is everything a doctor should be--forthright, compassionate, and interested in his patients as people. I would recommend Dr. Flangas to anyone facing neurosurgery.  Respond
RID: 414747
19/09/07 5 5 5 5 Never gives up on you. He is a gift. Hopefully I am done with Dr. Flangas, but if I'm not, I know I am in the very best of hands. This man and his staff are the best of the best. He is honest, forthright and gives it to you straight. He is one of the few that tries very hard not to operate, but when it is neccesary, he is reassuring and follows thru and knows his stuff. I was really lucky to be referred to him.  Respond
RID: 76132
04/01/07 4 5 5 Dr. Flangas is the best. I was referred to him by a retired teaching doctor. He turned out to be the best doctor I have ever dealt with. Spends time with you during your appt and answers all your questions. Calming and reassuring prior and after surgery. I had no insurance at the time and he was still willing to work with me on a cash basis. I refer him every chance I get.  Respond