Rate Dr. Gary Bonn

Dr. Gary Bonn's Ratings

Most kind doctor I've ever know!Soft spoken,patient and down to earth.

Submitted Aug. 10, 2014 | flag

Before we first went to see Dr Bonn, i read the reviews on this site. Thank goodness I didnt believe what was written. Dr Bonn is by far one of the best Dr's (let alone specialists) I have ever met. We brought our ,then 14 mo old, son to see him he was fantastic. Long story short our son had the operation to fix his eyes and it was an amazing success. Dr Bonn's bedside manner , which seems to be under criticism here, was better than I have ever seen. He gave us his personal cell phone number , which we used, he was supportive and above all incredibly competent with respect to the procedure. The complaints seem to be more about the normal rules and procedures regarding OHIP and the fact that the staff uphold those rules as all Dr's offices would. Bottom line ... Dr Bonn is first class, none better.

Submitted June 9, 2014 | flag

I am disappointed by all the negative comments. I am a patient of Dr. Bonn for 21 years now. He is a very good doctor and knows his stuff. He is kind, patient, knowledgeable, gentle and takes his time with his patients. Yes you may wait a while but you still get seen by him. Bonoptics is next to it and I find it very convenient.

Submitted May 14, 2014 | flag

Submitted March 22, 2014 | flag

I was surprised when I read all the negative ratings for Dr. Bonn. He does run a little behind schedule, but only because his services are in such high demand. He currently treats my daughter for strabismus and I have witnessed only the highest level of professionalism from him. He appears to get much satisfaction from improving the vision of children. Who wouldn't?

Submitted Feb. 13, 2014 | flag

My general impression is that he was professional and knowledgeable. The only thing where I really saw him lacking was his demeanor with children. While it does seem normal that many specialists and many GPs as well come across as short and dismissive, I really think that anyone that is being referred as a pediatric ophthalmologist really needs to have a better demeanor with children. At this point, my child has only had exams so I cannot comment on surgeries or glasses he was prescribed, however, when it comes to my child’s eyes it scares me to read about ANY negative outcomes to surgeries.

Submitted Jan. 15, 2014 | flag

After reading the other comments, I had reservations. After our experience, they were unfounded. My child has worked with 5 pediatric ophthalmologists in 5 years due to retirement and our family's relocation. We've seen amazing doctors and mediocre ones. Dr. Bonn's staff was more helpful and more kind than most we've encountered. Dr. Bonn was patient as we reviewed my child's complicated history, he answered my questions about her care and change in prescription with kindness and concern. His optical shop staff helped find durable frames that fit well. I have zero concerns or complaints at this point.

Submitted Nov. 15, 2013 | flag

I had a horrible experience with doctor Bonn; I agree with some previous reviews on this website -- he shouldn’t be a paediatrics doctor. cited "He started shouting and being rude to my kid when she was having trouble reading the chart, he made her nervous and he got upset." the exactly same thing happened to my kid (a 4 yr old). Dr. Bonn told me he couldn't tell her version, HOWEVER he was able to give a prescription. How could i trust this result? I was not confident with the result at all. I called my family doctor and asked for a transfer to another doctor. My other minor comments are same as others: Long waiting time; Recommending his glasses. My recommendation: Please read all these reviews on the web before making a visit.

Submitted June 6, 2013 | flag

Upon referral to Dr. Bonn, I came upon the rather poor ratings which so many people have written. The harsh criticisms put me off readily and had me calling the Optometrist back to get her opinion about it. She told me that she had personally worked with Dr. Bonn and had not witness anything short of professional practice. My child's appointment with Dr. Bonn went quite well. He is professional and to the point. When my child did not answer the questions properly five or six times, Dr. Bonn patiently kept a steady yet firm pace to ensure proper feedback from the child. I would recommend Dr. Bonn anytime for health care. To avoid hopelessly long wait times, I recommend booking an early morning time slot which will get you scooted in relatively fast and your child would be less likely to be tired and a handful to manage.

Submitted April 29, 2013 | flag

OMG - Dr. Bonn is the worst excuse for a doctor ever! He is consistently late, is gruff with the kids but always makes sure you get your glasses from his optics store. And god forbid you say you want to buy them elsewhere, his staff treat you like dirt! The only reason why people go there is there are so few paediatric optometrist in Ottawa. He has one and only one thing on his mind....MONEY!! Horrible, horrible, horrible...

Submitted April 17, 2013 | flag