Rate Dr. Gary Bonn

Dr. Gary Bonn's Ratings

Care: Dr. Bonn addressed himself almost exclusively to me, and not to my 7 year old son despite my son asking questions. He did not wash his hands before examining my son, even when my son was post-op. He gave us false expectations of post-op recover ("he'll be running around the same day") leaving us unsure how to help my son who was crying from pain on the couch and having to cope with unplanned absences from work. Dr. Bonn was at a loss with how to respond to continuing pain and did not offer to refer us. It is not clear yet whether the surgery was even successful. I will not return to Dr. Bonn and will seek a new doctor.

Dr. Bonn is old school and over-subscribed. You will wait hours to see him for a regular consultation, in a waiting room where you are banned from eating or drinking. If you have a post-surgery follow-up, you will get in quicker.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2738280].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 27, 2015

After waiting 5 months to get an appointment with Dr. Bonn, my husband and son left before they got to see Dr. Bonn. They waited an hour after their scheduled appointment time, with a room full of kids still waiting to be seen before them.
People say that you should expect to wait to see specialists because they're so good, so they have lots of patients. This is completely ridiculous. If a 2 to 4 hour wait it expected because he's good, then is a 5 hour wait even better? Does a 7 hour wait mean the doctor is amazing? No, a wait of more than 15 minutes means the doctor is disorganized and his staff are incompetent at scheduling.
There is a reason that doctors over schedule and make you wait. It is because that way they are always guaranteed a consistent flow of money - if someone cancels their appointment or is a no show, they don't lose revenue because there are always patients waiting in the waiting room.
An ophthalmologist in Canada can make up to $1 000 000 per year. I have no respect for a doctor who does not think that the patient's time is as valuable as his is. To make children wait for hours in a waiting room is cruel. But socialized medicine means that we don't get options, we don't get second opinions, and our pool of specialists is limited.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2713319].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 7, 2015

We are truly blessed to have Dr.Bonn taking care of our daughter's eyes. As a matter of fact, this city is blessed to have him around. He recently proformed a surgery on my then 11 and half months old daughter to fix her crossed eyes. Our expereince could not be better ( trust me, raised by a doctor, I have very high standards when it comes to eveluate a doctor). Extremly knowledgable and experienced, caring , and very gentle with my daughter. He took his time to answer all our questions ( my hubby had lots) and truly care for our daughter. I do not understand these people who complain about his bed side manner or being late because No.1 I am looking for a medical doctor, not a date for my LO; No. 2 I do not care how long I have to wait in order to see a good doctor! Dr. Bonn is GOOD. With his knowledge, skills and expereince, how much money he would be making if he chose to practice in US? But he came back and stayed in Ottawa! And please tell me, how many surgeons would call all his parents on SUNDAY mornings before their surgeries? How many surgeons would give you his personal cell phone number and say " Call me anytime, even in the middle of the night" before and after the surgery? My hat off to Dr.Bonn and his staff. Truly blessed.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2640894].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 3, 2014

Dr. Bonn is an expert in his field. All 4 of my kids have gone to see him at one point or other. He has performed surgery on my son, and I would not put any of my children in the hands of someone I didn't absolutely trust. While there are times that Dr. Bonn's bedside manner could use some polish, the same could be said about any person (myself included). His staff is fantastic, and the wait times seem reasonable for the volume of activity he and his team manage on a day-to-day basis. One thing that truly impresses me is how consistent and predictable their processes are. Notwithstanding the occasional delays, the place runs like clockwork.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2595160].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 27, 2014

I have been going to Dr Bonn's office since my daughter was 3 yrs old she is almost 14 yr old now. He decided not to do surgery but came up with these little bifocals from the age of 3 He had changed her prescription as she has gotten older and her eyes are now almost perfect She only has a few more yrs to wear them to help strengthen her eyes and she will be good for life. YES wait times can be long but hello people its because he cares for everyone as individuals and some children need his time longer than others. Dr Bonn is one of the most dedicated, caring, & wise beyond belief in his field!!!!!!! Pls do not hesitate for even a second to take your child to see him. He is THE BEST
Leigh & Jaymie

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2577520].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 14, 2014

My daughter has had two eye surgeries with Dr. Bonn for Strabismus and my son now sees him for a lazy eye. My daughter now has perfectly aligned eyes and better than 20/20 vision. He is a leader in his field. I will trade punctuality for experience & knowledge any day of the week. If you just need run-of-the-mill eye exams, and punctuality is of the uptmost importance - you may want to go elsewhere. If however, your child has a complicated case, then there is no one better in the Ottawa area. Period. Strongly recommend getting the first appointment of the day.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2550353].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 24, 2014

Most kind doctor I've ever know!Soft spoken,patient and down to earth.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2490213].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 10, 2014

Before we first went to see Dr Bonn, i read the reviews on this site. Thank goodness I didnt believe what was written. Dr Bonn is by far one of the best Dr's (let alone specialists) I have ever met. We brought our ,then 14 mo old, son to see him he was fantastic. Long story short our son had the operation to fix his eyes and it was an amazing success. Dr Bonn's bedside manner , which seems to be under criticism here, was better than I have ever seen. He gave us his personal cell phone number , which we used, he was supportive and above all incredibly competent with respect to the procedure. The complaints seem to be more about the normal rules and procedures regarding OHIP and the fact that the staff uphold those rules as all Dr's offices would. Bottom line ... Dr Bonn is first class, none better.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2454212].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 9, 2014

I am disappointed by all the negative comments. I am a patient of Dr. Bonn for 21 years now. He is a very good doctor and knows his stuff. He is kind, patient, knowledgeable, gentle and takes his time with his patients. Yes you may wait a while but you still get seen by him. Bonoptics is next to it and I find it very convenient.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2454211].votes_count ]]