Rate Dr. Johan Viljoen

Dr. Johan Viljoen's Ratings

Dr. Viljoen is an amazing doctor. I went to see him not because I was having a baby. I am in my 40's and going through start of menopause. He was so caring and so personal. I would recomend him to expecting moms or ladies dealing with menopause.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2551906].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 25, 2014

I find him to be very rushed. I think he forgets that for some of us it is out first time expereicing pregnancy and child birth. He makes you feel stupid when you ask questions and his answers are better found by googling them yourself. I cannot stand his RN Chris, she is rude, having a child is suppose to be a happy time, every time I leave his office I feel as if I have unconvinced him and his staff for coming there. Thankfully I should only have a couple more visits with him, and if more pregnancies are in my future I will definitly ask to be referred to a different OB .

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2550066].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 24, 2014

My experience with Dr. Viljoen was scary. He is not my OB, but he was the on-call OB when my water broke 6 weeks early and I was a high risk pregnancy with twins. My water broke December 23, 2012 and he sent me home twice that day. He put my babies and myself in a very risky situation. I was given absolutely no direction on anything (ex. bed rest, antibiotics etc). Even my nurses said they wouldn't be going home if they were me. So I didn't. I went to McMaster where I received amazing, top of the line care. I did end up with an infection which caused my babies heart rates to increase, putting stress on them as well as myself. As a result of this, I ended up having a c-section. This was a totally preventable incident, had I had earlier care when my water broke. When you sign up to become a doctor, you don't always get to enjoy the holidays, as your job may require you to care for another. Sorry for disrupting your Christmas holidays..oh wait, I didn't cause you never came in

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1758102].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 15, 2013

Dr. Viljoen used to be a good doctor, when I had my 1st child. 5 years later, he has become bitter, rushed, cranky, runs late, and does not want to be bothered with trivial questions. A major disappointment. When I first saw him as a gyn, he told me how difficult it would be for me to conceive due to health problems. After I conceived with my 2nd, he was disinterested and very sharp with me. He dilly-dallied so long coming to the hospital, I could not get an epidural. I was in freaking PAIN, but all he did was yell at me and tell me how immature I was (I was pushing 40, so not an irrational youngster!). He used to be gentle, but that all changed. I would stay FAR AWAY from him. Oh--he ALWAYS ran late (both pregnancies). And if you show up within 5 minutes of your appt time, he considers it a missed appt. :(

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1758101].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 11, 2013

Dr. Viljoen is a great doctor. He is always on time for appointments and friendly and patient. When I first saw him for my first pregnancy, I was given a letter explaining that he encourages his patients to ask questions and that my appointments would be as long as I make them. He was so supportive and helpful throughout my pregnancy. I always felt like I was in good hands. Heidi, his receptionist is amazing and treats each patient like they are her good friend. She is wonderful. Chris, his RPN can have a bit of an attitude but she does mean well. The only negative comment is that Dr. Viljoen allows his medical students to gather info without his supervision. In my 7th month, his student told me she could not find a heartbeat in my otherwise very healthy baby. Dr. Viljoen found the heartbeat no problem once she called him into the room. This was an unnecessary panic. I would have appreciated Dr. Viljoen being present while students examined me. Great doctor!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1758100].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 10, 2012

I absolutely would recommend Dr. Viljoen to anyone. I never had to wait very long for my appointments which was great, seeing as I was very pregnant. He was very efficient with my exams and when I had a question he answered it without making me worried. I have not gone to him for any physicals yet. When I went in to get my Nova-T in it was a very quick visit.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1758099].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 9, 2012

We were really happy with Dr Viljoen following our first prenatal appointment. Unfortunately, things went downhill after that first visit. We decided to do IPS screening and also had our 20 week anatomy scan, during which time our appointments were cancelled. When we finally did get in to see him, we had to ask about the results of tests which had been completed almost 2 months prior! I understand that not every doctor is proactive in reporting test results if everything is fine, but it seemed a bit ridiculous that we had to wait so long before we got any answers. As for the bladder infection I had towards the end of my 2nd trimester, Dr Viljoen wrote me a prescription for an antibiotic that was known to be ineffective for that strain, and then neglected to contact me when the infection never went away. His staff are also very rude and treat patients horribly. We switched doctors and I'm glad we did! Never again will I see this man for any health matters!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1758098].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 26, 2012

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1758104].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 20, 2012

This doctor uses students to gather your information which I found to be very uncomfortable. On top of that he does not give a courtesy call to remind patients of their appointment even if the appointment was made months in advance, instead he will simply charge you a $75 fee, even if you come on the right day of your appointment but the wrong time. He is a money hungry doctor with no care for his actual medical pratice. He "recommended" I go on a surrogate pregnancy to try and figure out if I have endometriosis. All this accomplished was an increase in my discomfort and blood clots. I have to now get a new referral for a new gyno because there is no way I will continue taking medical advice from such an uncaring person

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1758103].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 16, 2012

My experience was very good. I was pregnant as a surrogate and Dr. Viljoen was willing to include the baby's parents in the appointments and the birth. Late in the pregnancy, the parents actually caused a problem trying to get him to breech my privacy but Dr Viljoen refused to breech my rights. My care never suffered because of the stress they caused, and I couldn't have asked for a better advocate. The birth went very well. He checked on me himself several times in hospital himself rather then rely on the nurse for everything, and we had a smooth and complication free birth. He didn't force me to have a chemical induction like most doctors do. I recommend him to anyone as a great doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1758097].votes_count ]]