You may also like

Rate Dr. Johan Viljoen

Dr. Johan Viljoen's Ratings

Always on time and extremely knowledgeable! Over 10 years!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2789909].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 27, 2015

Dr. Viljoen is an excellent doctor. I have been going to him for a few years for gynecological issues and have had surgery. I found him to be very attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. My surgery and recovery couldn't have gone any better. I was amazed at how well it went. I would highly recommend him as an ob/gyn. Heidi, his receptionist, has always been friendly and helpful.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2761938].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 30, 2015

I'm on my 5th child so I know the ropes and I'm also very easy going, with little expectations. He is definitely a Jekyll and Hyde type of person. Almost my entire 1st pregnancy with him he was awesome, and I'd leave feeling wonderful. There were other times that I could tell as soon as he came in that he didn't want to be there and was in a bad mood. It definitely made me wonder if he was mad at me for something, but I knew it couldnt be bcuz I never questioned him and always did everything he said. Our appointments were very short and to the point, so I couldn't have. I like that he's very blunt, but I can see people saying he takes it too far, bcuz you can tell that he does not respect a woman's wishes on things that she has a right to choose about, he'll instead TELL YOU what you should do and basically says you'd be foolish to decide anything besides HIS opinion. He thinks he knows your body better than you do, and that he's God's gift to medicine. He is on some board of Dr.'s who MAKE the rules for all Ontario Dr.'s, which has really gone to his head. The last few appointments I had with him, I felt like his student was actually my OB cuz he did everything and Viljoen wasn't even in the room most of the time. One secretary is always nice, and one never is. Waiting times are not that bad compared to other OBs. Basically, it all depends on the day you go to him, whether he's wonderful, or whether he's moody. I have a feeling that he just stops "trying" after you've seen him for awhile, so his true colours end up showing eventually. But who knows, maybe he is just over worked and has lots of moody days. It really just depends on the day.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2761226].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 30, 2015

I've been going to Dr. Viljoen for several years - I am long past baby days however I find him to be great, punctual, knowledgable and have never found him not to be willing to answer a question. He is busy but so am I so I like the fact that I'm in and out quickly. I am not certain who Chris is as I have only ever dealt with Heidi but she is amazing and very welcoming!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2625559].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 19, 2014

I had him as the doctor for my first child and thought he was very caring, attentive and comforting. I am now pregnant with my second and will be looking to return to him as my doctor. The staff was also always very friendly and helpful.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2602364].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 1, 2014

Dr. Viljoen is an amazing doctor. I went to see him not because I was having a baby. I am in my 40's and going through start of menopause. He was so caring and so personal. I would recomend him to expecting moms or ladies dealing with menopause.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2551906].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 25, 2014

I find him to be very rushed. I think he forgets that for some of us it is out first time expereicing pregnancy and child birth. He makes you feel stupid when you ask questions and his answers are better found by googling them yourself. I cannot stand his RN Chris, she is rude, having a child is suppose to be a happy time, every time I leave his office I feel as if I have unconvinced him and his staff for coming there. Thankfully I should only have a couple more visits with him, and if more pregnancies are in my future I will definitly ask to be referred to a different OB .

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2550066].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 24, 2014

My experience with Dr. Viljoen was scary. He is not my OB, but he was the on-call OB when my water broke 6 weeks early and I was a high risk pregnancy with twins. My water broke December 23, 2012 and he sent me home twice that day. He put my babies and myself in a very risky situation. I was given absolutely no direction on anything (ex. bed rest, antibiotics etc). Even my nurses said they wouldn't be going home if they were me. So I didn't. I went to McMaster where I received amazing, top of the line care. I did end up with an infection which caused my babies heart rates to increase, putting stress on them as well as myself. As a result of this, I ended up having a c-section. This was a totally preventable incident, had I had earlier care when my water broke. When you sign up to become a doctor, you don't always get to enjoy the holidays, as your job may require you to care for another. Sorry for disrupting your Christmas holidays..oh wait, I didn't cause you never came in

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1758102].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 15, 2013

Dr. Viljoen used to be a good doctor, when I had my 1st child. 5 years later, he has become bitter, rushed, cranky, runs late, and does not want to be bothered with trivial questions. A major disappointment. When I first saw him as a gyn, he told me how difficult it would be for me to conceive due to health problems. After I conceived with my 2nd, he was disinterested and very sharp with me. He dilly-dallied so long coming to the hospital, I could not get an epidural. I was in freaking PAIN, but all he did was yell at me and tell me how immature I was (I was pushing 40, so not an irrational youngster!). He used to be gentle, but that all changed. I would stay FAR AWAY from him. Oh--he ALWAYS ran late (both pregnancies). And if you show up within 5 minutes of your appt time, he considers it a missed appt. :(

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1758101].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 11, 2013

Dr. Viljoen is a great doctor. He is always on time for appointments and friendly and patient. When I first saw him for my first pregnancy, I was given a letter explaining that he encourages his patients to ask questions and that my appointments would be as long as I make them. He was so supportive and helpful throughout my pregnancy. I always felt like I was in good hands. Heidi, his receptionist is amazing and treats each patient like they are her good friend. She is wonderful. Chris, his RPN can have a bit of an attitude but she does mean well. The only negative comment is that Dr. Viljoen allows his medical students to gather info without his supervision. In my 7th month, his student told me she could not find a heartbeat in my otherwise very healthy baby. Dr. Viljoen found the heartbeat no problem once she called him into the room. This was an unnecessary panic. I would have appreciated Dr. Viljoen being present while students examined me. Great doctor!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1758100].votes_count ]]