You may also like

Rate Dr. Patrick Pierse

Dr. Patrick Pierse's Ratings

Needs to catch up on more info regarding nutrition. A bit uninformed. Very VERY pleasant man. I honestly really do like him but he has this horrible habit of not ever letting me speak. He does 90% of the talking. When he asks a question i barely get to say 2 words & interupts me. I don't even get to ask questions because every single time I try to say anything he talks over me. He makes a lot of assumptions about what I think or don't know. My appointment is filled with him talking telling me useless information and then assuming he knows what I was about to ask. Then follows it up with contradicting EVERYTHING that is standard care for an infant saying "do you know how many of those I have?.... Don't believe anything you read or hear out there. It is all garbage. Don't listen to anything anybody says..." It's even health Canada stuff... Not going into specifics... But I'm going to a different pediatrician now as it is too much of a frustrating experience every time I see this man. It's unfortunate as despite the aggrivation I really do like him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2736821].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 26, 2015

We saw Dr. Pierse when our eldest was first born in the mid-nineties and I found him to be first rate and very knowledgeable. My wife liked him at first too but she had great difficulty with breastfeeding (some women just have difficulty lactating), and he, at that point in time anyway, was very pro-breastfeeding and unsympathetic to her situation. We eventually sought out another paediatrician who was a better fit for our family.

I'm not sure about now, but at the time we were seeing him, Dr. Pierse was, in my opinion, one of the best paediatricians in the greater Edmonton area, and one you would be glad to have at your child's bedside in the event of a medical emergency.

However, from reading other comments on this site, it seems he, like many other paediatricians, has more patients than time available.

If you need to wait an hour or two to see him, or if you need to book a month or two in advance for a routine appointment, I would venture to say that is par for the course with most paediatricians.

However, if it is even much worse than that now, it might be time to see if you can find a younger paediatrician that is not so overbooked.

Also, if you aren't planning to breastfeed, or anticipate possible difficulty in this area, unless his attitude has changed in recent years, you might want to seek out someone else less judgemental.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2716224].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 10, 2015

Dr Pierce has an INCREDIBLE way to connect with his young patients!!! He is extremely knowledgable and I love his sense of humour! I put 4 stars for punctuality b/c he takes the time to thoroughly examine the patients and their problems, therefore I don't mind waiting to see him. I do a callback to his office to say my child has benefited from his visit and they are more than gracious to recieve those calls!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2556473].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 29, 2014

Can NEVER get a hold of office! Tried 3 different days to book an appointment. Last appointment was 2 hours later than booked time!
He is very knowledgeable, but booking and waiting times are very frustrating

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2525864].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 5, 2014

Great Doctor. Dr. Pierse has been treating my family since my brother was a Infant. My brother was sick, hospitalized. It was a rough time for my mom. She was then referred to Dr. Pierse. Heaven sent, was able to diagnose what was wrong and put her mind at peace. I now take my own son. While Dr. Pierse can appear rushed he has always treated my son well. He is also the one Doctor I can trust to not just issue out a prescription, unless it is needed. Living out of town sometimes makes it difficult to come in for appointments. I have taken my son to the drop-in clinics. After being wrongly diagnosed and prescribed the wrong medication. Will now only take my son to Dr. Pierse. There is no other doctor I will ever trust with my son.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1774842].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 4, 2014

My daughter has been waking in the night with abdominal pain since she was about four months and very gassy during the day. I have been to Dr. Pierse three times to try and figure out what's wrong (once I was seen by someone sitting in for him though). Although he is very friendly and clearly has a lot of knowledge, he would not hear me at all about my daughter's tummy. He tried to convince me she was waking up to nurse. The kid writhes in pain, I can tell the difference between that and wanting to nurse. I have since stopped nursing and she still has this problem on occasion although it's not as bad. I just feel like my concerns weren't taken seriously and I dl feel like any future concerns will be similarly dismissed.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1774843].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 29, 2014

I've wasted hours on the phone trying to get through just to make an appointment. He's on holidays every other week, nobody covers he's practice when he's away and you can't leave a message on his answering machine. If you have an emergency you are told to go to your family doctor or nearest emergency room. I have three young children, my middle child has serious health problems. Dr. Pierse had told me to call on a specific date if certain symptoms are still present. I've spent hours on the phone just to get a busy signal then when someone finally answers I'll get put on hold for 45 minutes. When the receptionist does take my call she's very friendly but dismissive and messages are not passed on to the doctor in a timely manner. Dr. Pierse does not have hospital rights at the Stollery Children's Hospital, which is problematic if your child has been admitted there. He does not have enough office hours to properly cover his large patient load.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1774841].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 19, 2013

Dr.Pierce is fantastic, if you can get in to see him and that is a big IF....If you do get in, he is amazing with the kids, very helpful in helping parents with any questions and is funny. He really makes you feel at ease. It is truly unfortunate that the clinic is so poorly run as I would recommend him to anyone.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1774840].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 19, 2013

Absolutely love Dr Pierse, when I was a first time mom he recognized that and spent as much time with me as my child. Even though he seems to be just playing with the kids, which they loved, he recognized all of my childrens serious illnesses almost immediately and one saved my childs life by meeting me at the hospital and when he was the only one that could get an intravenus in her. The next morning when he came to check on us he gave me a hug and said that Mom's have the toughest jobs of all and I was doing an awecome job. My kids absolutely love him also and I would not go to any other Dr. Great Irish humor and really appreciate the extra time he takes to answer any questions that I amy have.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1774839].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 18, 2013

My kids absolutely love Dr. Pierse. He's great with them and can make even the shyest kid comfortable. My only problem is that they never seem to be on time. And the new receptionist was quite rude. When I questioned why I had been waiting an hour she said I was lucky because the earlier patients had to wait two hours. I find it's next to impossible to get an appointment when a kid is sick because they're either totally booked up or I was told once that if my daughter is sick I should keep her home so I don't infect other kids. Every time I call there or wait to see Dr. Pierse I vow I am going to change offices but once we get in, I realize he's worth the hassle.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1774838].votes_count ]]