Rate Dr. Patrick Pierse

Dr. Patrick Pierse's Ratings

Great Doctor. Dr. Pierse has been treating my family since my brother was a Infant. My brother was sick, hospitalized. It was a rough time for my mom. She was then referred to Dr. Pierse. Heaven sent, was able to diagnose what was wrong and put her mind at peace. I now take my own son. While Dr. Pierse can appear rushed he has always treated my son well. He is also the one Doctor I can trust to not just issue out a prescription, unless it is needed. Living out of town sometimes makes it difficult to come in for appointments. I have taken my son to the drop-in clinics. After being wrongly diagnosed and prescribed the wrong medication. Will now only take my son to Dr. Pierse. There is no other doctor I will ever trust with my son.

Submitted Feb. 4, 2014 | flag

My daughter has been waking in the night with abdominal pain since she was about four months and very gassy during the day. I have been to Dr. Pierse three times to try and figure out what's wrong (once I was seen by someone sitting in for him though). Although he is very friendly and clearly has a lot of knowledge, he would not hear me at all about my daughter's tummy. He tried to convince me she was waking up to nurse. The kid writhes in pain, I can tell the difference between that and wanting to nurse. I have since stopped nursing and she still has this problem on occasion although it's not as bad. I just feel like my concerns weren't taken seriously and I dl feel like any future concerns will be similarly dismissed.

Submitted Jan. 29, 2014 | flag

I've wasted hours on the phone trying to get through just to make an appointment. He's on holidays every other week, nobody covers he's practice when he's away and you can't leave a message on his answering machine. If you have an emergency you are told to go to your family doctor or nearest emergency room. I have three young children, my middle child has serious health problems. Dr. Pierse had told me to call on a specific date if certain symptoms are still present. I've spent hours on the phone just to get a busy signal then when someone finally answers I'll get put on hold for 45 minutes. When the receptionist does take my call she's very friendly but dismissive and messages are not passed on to the doctor in a timely manner. Dr. Pierse does not have hospital rights at the Stollery Children's Hospital, which is problematic if your child has been admitted there. He does not have enough office hours to properly cover his large patient load.

Submitted Nov. 19, 2013 | flag

Dr.Pierce is fantastic, if you can get in to see him and that is a big IF....If you do get in, he is amazing with the kids, very helpful in helping parents with any questions and is funny. He really makes you feel at ease. It is truly unfortunate that the clinic is so poorly run as I would recommend him to anyone.

Submitted Aug. 19, 2013 | flag

Absolutely love Dr Pierse, when I was a first time mom he recognized that and spent as much time with me as my child. Even though he seems to be just playing with the kids, which they loved, he recognized all of my childrens serious illnesses almost immediately and one saved my childs life by meeting me at the hospital and when he was the only one that could get an intravenus in her. The next morning when he came to check on us he gave me a hug and said that Mom's have the toughest jobs of all and I was doing an awecome job. My kids absolutely love him also and I would not go to any other Dr. Great Irish humor and really appreciate the extra time he takes to answer any questions that I amy have.

Submitted July 18, 2013 | flag

My kids absolutely love Dr. Pierse. He's great with them and can make even the shyest kid comfortable. My only problem is that they never seem to be on time. And the new receptionist was quite rude. When I questioned why I had been waiting an hour she said I was lucky because the earlier patients had to wait two hours. I find it's next to impossible to get an appointment when a kid is sick because they're either totally booked up or I was told once that if my daughter is sick I should keep her home so I don't infect other kids. Every time I call there or wait to see Dr. Pierse I vow I am going to change offices but once we get in, I realize he's worth the hassle.

Submitted May 17, 2013 | flag

Started seeing Dr. Pierse after the birth of my 2nd daughter. My kids are 6 1/2 years apart, so I felt like an inept new mom all over again. He's very quick and to the point, but will answer any questions you have, matter-of-factly. My baby LOVES him, and he's really good at putting a lot of my worries to ease. I'd recommend him to anyone (and yes, I work in the health care profession too, so I understand how people may feel like they're being "rushed".). Again, if you don't voice any concerns, and nothing stands out to him in the initial exam, then yes, it'll be a quick appointment. If you have concerns-- voice them! How is anything supposed to be addressed/resolved if you don't say anything? You're the one with your child 24/7, he sees them for 5 minutes. Obviously communication is important. He's got a quirky sense of humor too-- take it or leave it.

Submitted Aug. 27, 2011 | flag

Dr. Pierse is one of the best in Edmonton. He is always caring, explains things v. well and saved our 6-wk. old grand-daughter from very serious dehyration, in which she almost died, but only Dr. Pierse could find a vien in her head to put in an IV. She was later admitted to The Stollery, where she got excellent care. Due to Dr. Adele Freeman (walk-in Medical Clinic) prescribing clindamycin for the nursing mother in which case Baby H. almost died as it stripped the lining of her stomach. Shud have pursued suing Dr. Freeman, but we were too tramatized. When Dr. Pierse saw the meds mommy was taking he demanded she stop taking that immediately, stating to never use that again while nursing. DO YOU THINK a Dr. should know better than to prescribe this. She is not on the list of Edmonton Doctors otherwise she'd get a BIG "F" from us. If we didn't take our grand-daughter in to Dr. Pierse when we did, she likely would not be here today.

Submitted Aug. 26, 2011 | flag

My experience with dr pierse was not very pleasant. I did not find him approachable in the hospital when my daughter was first born-he did not ask me whether i had any concerns-just said she was healthy and left the room. He has one-liners that are used often in regards to my daughters healthy weight-gain, which would be nice if they were actually sincere and didn't seem so generic. My daughter had an umbilucal granuloma-Dr pierse applied silver nitrate to it, however, he did not take the time to prevent a chemical burn on her stomach. The silver nitrate went on her stomach causing her skin to peel off leaving a burn. I researched what should have been done to prevent burns--petroleum jelly applied to surrounding skin around the belly button and a piece of gauze on top of the belly button. If dr pierse couldn't take the time to apply these simple things-I don't trust his ability in other areas where my daughters health is concerned. I would not reccomend dr pierse to anyone.

Submitted July 29, 2011 | flag

Dr. Pierse is an amazing doctor. Being a first time mom I usually have millions of questions and he always takes time to address all my concerns. His staff is very polite and professional. Yes, we usually have to wait in his office but I am willing to wait if my daughter gets the best medical attention she deserves. He has always been very pleasant and caring towards my daughter. I would definitely recommend him to my friend. Thank you for everything, Dr Pierse!

Submitted March 16, 2011 | flag