You may also like

Rate Dr. Richard A. Berger

Dr. Richard A. Berger's Ratings

I had my hip surgery 6 months ago and it honestly was the best thing I did.
This time last year I could barely walk and was in a lot of pain, since my hip surgery I have been on 2 yoga retreats, have more flexability then I have had in 10 years and can wear my high heels again!. He is a nice, funny brisk man, do not expect alot of personal Doctor one on one ( he is a surgeon not a family doctor). Do see him if you want a kind, professional team guiding you through every aspect of the procedure and a skilled surgeon with great results.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2825776].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 2, 2015

My husband waited 3 months for an appointment with Dr. Richard Berger because he was recommended by a friend and he is part of Rush. I accompanied him to the appointment. The staff is awesome, no waiting, friendly and considerate. After the x-rays, we were brought into an exam room when one of his "fellows" walks in and examines my husbands leg. Points out a few things, husband has experienced cellulitis several years ago, therefore his leg is big. Dr. Berger walks in, says hello, asks a few questions and walks out. Next thing you know, my husband is being pawned off on another Dr., why? I don't know...Dr. Berger does the same procedures as the other Dr. who happens to only be employed there for a year, yet claims that Dr. Berger trained him over 10 years. We didn't get to choose. No explanation whatsoever! A total waste of time. I would not recommend Dr. Berger to anyone.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2787005].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 23, 2015

Dr. Berger told me I needed both hips and knee's replaced. I went to 2 other Orthopedic Surgeon's who told me my hips were fine. I would not trust him, get a second opinion. It is like an assembly line he seems to only care about money.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2729359].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 20, 2015

If you want to feel like just a number, have him do your surgery. I picked up the Mersa virus/staff infection at Rush while there for surgery. Not even a call from him to see how I was doing after I was home. . When his nurse called, she told my family not to worry, that fever and chills and shaking are normal. The next day I went to Glenbrook hospital ER and spent two days recovering. I would never recommend this group for any surgery because you are just one of 1,800 patients he treats annually.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2605996].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 4, 2014

Dr Berger is the best. I highly recommend anyone that is considering knee replacement to go to him. You will not be disappointed. My first surgery was performed in Mississippi by Mississippi State University's team doctor. It was a total botch job. I had a torn meniscus. The dr trimmed the piece and then left it in my knee.Over the course of 11 months the dr continued to say that I was getting better just needed cortisone shots. I finally got a pain management dr to order an MRI which showed that my knee essentially had a hole in the patella. Upon seeing the MRI the doctor claimed it was not his fault, I just happened to be, according to stats, in the 10% failure rate. I went to another dr that I liked very much and he performed a microfracture on my knee. This helped for a while and then I did shots and wore a brace. Finally after 7 years and moderate pain he told me that I needed to have a knee replacement.
I was scheduled to do this in late September. I had heard about the legendary Dr Berger from many people but I just figured it would be too difficult to get in. On a whim,at 3am of a pain filled sleepless night, I left a message with his receptionist. Slhe called me back first thing the next morning. She was compassionate, knowledgeable and helpful. By the time I got off the phone, I was scheduled for 72 hours I had a new knee. I had no pain, Physical therapy was challenging at times but for the most part, the PT staff was amazed at my progress. My right knee has not felt this good in years. Last Wed. I had my left knee replaced (it was worn out from over compensating for the right knee for 7 years) I had another wonderful experience and my PT is once again amazed. His nurses are all incredible- Jenny Russell is my nurse and she has been extremely helpful. His internist Dr. Zahara is wonderful.
Every part of this experience has been thought out with meticulous care. I went from a assembly line butcher shop type surgery to the very best in the country. I treasure my health and can't thank these wonderful people enough. Carolyn Abadie

Was this rating useful? 5 [[ userState['ratings'][2598041].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 29, 2014

He is the best. I had sequential knees. 5 prior knee surgeries. High risk. I am a practicing physician. Driving In a week. Back to work in 10 days. It took almost a year but today I am better than I I have been in 15 years. The entire experience was incredibly competent. I left a major southeast city to see him.

Was this rating useful? 5 [[ userState['ratings'][2396174].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 14, 2014

After 6 months plus of waiting to have surgery -- following his instructions to loose 50 lbs. I called to schedule a follow up appointment and then was told he no longer operates on patients if their BMI is out of line, yet his website STILL clearly states weight is not an issue for him. It was very misleading & fraudulent on their part Other overweight candidates shouldn't seek him out - you'll only be disappointed. He is too busy operating on the famous.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][622053].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 15, 2014

I would never recommend him! I investigated his procedure for the less evasive approach & a quicker recovery, I can not afford to take off of work for an extensive period of time. His website clearly states weight is NOT an issue. Went for my consult that I waited 2 months for, he required I lose 50 lbs to have the surgery. I achieved my goal & called to schedule an appointment & now he refuses me as a patient due to my weight. If he is so busy & elects not to operate on an "ideal" patient then first CHANGE your website and not offer false hope. I have lived with the pain in my knee and could have explored other alternatives. What a coward! People far heavier than I have had knee replacements. He may have talent when it come to replacement surgery but doesn't have any class, empathy or patient etiquette. If his policy has changed since my first & second visit, an update & referral would have been proper. The website is still incorrect & needs to be updated! Shame on you Dr. Berger!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][622052].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 30, 2013

T he staff is incredible. Dr. Berger is knowledgeable and skilled. Things didn't go as planned for me. My recovery took much longer than any of the other reviews. Almost 3 years later and I am still having difficulty. Since I am now on Medicare I have had to switch doctors which feels a bit like I have been thrown out. Not sure what went wrong but the avascular necrosis of the patella which was visible from day 1 but not addressed or labeled until 9 months after surgery has limited my ability to hike and walk on unev,en terrain!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][622051].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 13, 2013

Though he was out on my insurance network, I gladly paid up front to have him do my knee replacements 6 weeks apart two years ago. My recovery was well coordinated, and went as expected. The staff at this practice is first rate and everything was done efficiently and with the patient's concerns properly addressed. Though he is local for me, I would travel across country if I needed to have a hip replacement in the future.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][622050].votes_count ]]