Rate Dr. Richard A. Berger

Dr. Richard A. Berger's Ratings

He is the best. I had sequential knees. 5 prior knee surgeries. High risk. I am a practicing physician. Driving In a week. Back to work in 10 days. It took almost a year but today I am better than I I have been in 15 years. The entire experience was incredibly competent. I left a major southeast city to see him.

Submitted June 14, 2014 | flag

After 6 months plus of waiting to have surgery -- following his instructions to loose 50 lbs. I called to schedule a follow up appointment and then was told he no longer operates on patients if their BMI is out of line, yet his website STILL clearly states weight is not an issue for him. It was very misleading & fraudulent on their part Other overweight candidates shouldn't seek him out - you'll only be disappointed. He is too busy operating on the famous.

Submitted Jan. 15, 2014 | flag

I would never recommend him! I investigated his procedure for the less evasive approach & a quicker recovery, I can not afford to take off of work for an extensive period of time. His website clearly states weight is NOT an issue. Went for my consult that I waited 2 months for, he required I lose 50 lbs to have the surgery. I achieved my goal & called to schedule an appointment & now he refuses me as a patient due to my weight. If he is so busy & elects not to operate on an "ideal" patient then first CHANGE your website and not offer false hope. I have lived with the pain in my knee and could have explored other alternatives. What a coward! People far heavier than I have had knee replacements. He may have talent when it come to replacement surgery but doesn't have any class, empathy or patient etiquette. If his policy has changed since my first & second visit, an update & referral would have been proper. The website is still incorrect & needs to be updated! Shame on you Dr. Berger!

Submitted Dec. 30, 2013 | flag

T he staff is incredible. Dr. Berger is knowledgeable and skilled. Things didn't go as planned for me. My recovery took much longer than any of the other reviews. Almost 3 years later and I am still having difficulty. Since I am now on Medicare I have had to switch doctors which feels a bit like I have been thrown out. Not sure what went wrong but the avascular necrosis of the patella which was visible from day 1 but not addressed or labeled until 9 months after surgery has limited my ability to hike and walk on unev,en terrain!

Submitted Nov. 13, 2013 | flag

Though he was out on my insurance network, I gladly paid up front to have him do my knee replacements 6 weeks apart two years ago. My recovery was well coordinated, and went as expected. The staff at this practice is first rate and everything was done efficiently and with the patient's concerns properly addressed. Though he is local for me, I would travel across country if I needed to have a hip replacement in the future.

Submitted Oct. 6, 2013 | flag

The team and the doctor were the best I ever dealt with. The doctor said I would be able to play full court basketball in 8weeks after my hip replacement and I was on the court in 7 weeks

Submitted Sept. 10, 2013 | flag

Very Friendly and knowledgeable Doctor and his Staff. Outpatient TKR, and No Pain. Procedure Runs SO smooth - Seems like he invented it from the beginning of time. Had surgery on a Friday and became allergic to Oxycotin painkiller pills on Saturday morning, so did not use any pain blockers. Was on golf course 3 weeks after surgery. Uses -Glue on scar with inside stitches- and only 2 ea. outside stitches (one on each end). Can shower on the 2nd day. Enough said! The Best !

Submitted Aug. 12, 2013 | flag

I had both my knees replaced, 4 wks. apart. Dr. Berger spent a total of approx. 15 minutes with me. His team makes up for his lack of bedside manner. They were caring, and answered my questions during my recovery. I was very appreciative of having known his style before I experienced it, because if you aren't familiar with the whole process, it would probably be a turn off. The whole process is run like a well oiled machine, from beginning to end. Appts., lab work, educational classes, etc. and is somewhat impersonal. However, as he is known for, the surgery was minimal in terms of not having to cut any ligaments and tendons (to my knowledge)so the recovery is not as painful, my friends who had knee surgery by other Dr's were amazed at my recovery. I was driving five days later. With all that said, this is major surgery, and don't under estimate the need for the body to recover.

Submitted Nov. 27, 2012 | flag

had a minimally invasive total hip replacement in 2003 - born w/ hip dysplasia - major pain every single day. did research after another ortho told me i needed to have both knees and both hips replaced. found an online community of "hippies" and was referred by another patient to see dr. berger. showed me my x-rays, told i have good joint space in knees, right hip and left hip was malformed. scheduled surgery - for the first time since i was a teenager NO PAIN. none. recovery was incredibly fast, healing was excellent. i am in my 9th year w/ left hip, scheduled right hip for september and can't wait. have not had 1 single problem over these past 9 years. dr. berger is very knowledgeable, and excellent customer service; i especially love his staff! the first time around i was on short term disability and his staff made sure that there were no lapses, answered all my questions. i am a happy hippie. i was 33 w/ the first surgery; am 42 now.

Submitted July 30, 2012 | flag

Dr is one of I admire as a patient and RN. His "outpatient" surgery is way worth traveling across the country for. Hotel a block away.His team is top notch and runs like clock work, not to mention warm and professional. The 2 preparation visits are the best and leave you feeling confident and calmed. I had both knees totally replaced 8 weeks apart. It was nearly painless and the rehab was half the usual time because of his amazing minimally invasive surgery and anesthesia techniques. Crutches for a week, a cane for a week. I got the female, athletic replacements 6 years ago and have amazed my locals with small scar, fast recovery, and flexibility. Dr is a MIT engineering grad who went into medicine and helps design joint replacements. You don’t see him for a long time because his staff has already answered most of your questions. I found him to be quite personable with a good sense of humor and very willing to stay and answer your questions.

Submitted July 11, 2012 | flag