Rate Dr. Thomas F. Holovacs

Dr. Thomas F. Holovacs's Ratings

Top notch - best of the best. Very personable and knowledgable.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2623590].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 18, 2014

I had 2 surgeries with Dr Holovac's left shoulder rotator cuff, torn labrum and broken back shoulder. Full recovery pain free. Staff is excellent and Dr Holovac's is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Informative and easy to talk to.
5 stars in my book.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2604715].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 3, 2014

I wanted a second opinion about my diagnosis and shoulder issues and was referred to this MD from a provider within the MGH system. His fellow did the assessment, who was the most unprofessional arrogant doctor I have ever met. I have worked in hospitals over 15 years and have dealt with doctors/surgeons on a professional level for a long time and this was top 10 WORST I have seen or dealt with in the country. The fellow did his assessment and grilled me with the most inappropriate questions- was demeaning and very rude. After the fellow completed his stellar work, the doctor paraded in with the fellow and another resident. All three stood around me standing, in an intimidating manor with their arms crossed and the attending continued to grill me about why I was there and what I wanted from him. He ordered an x-ray before he even saw me and didn't make any mention of it. I am going to dispute that on my bill and file an official complaint with the hospital. I'm glad I drove 3 hours to be treated horribly by a useless, rude fellow and was not even assessed by the attending himself. He didn't even touch my shoulder. DISGUSTING practice.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2554513].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 27, 2014

I saw Dr. Holovacs for a SLAP repair last May. Dr. Holovacs and his NP, Aimee Edgar, answered every question and concern I had, from my initial visits to my post-ops. Aimee was wonderful, always promtly returned my calls, and took care of scheduling any MRIs, Xrays, etc. After my shoulder injury, I had very little hope that I'd ever fully recover, but Dr. Holovacs is an amazing surgeon and worked his magic. My shoulder, which had to have 270 degrees of repair, is stronger now than before my injury. I most enjoyed that I actually saw Dr. Holovacs at each appointment and had ample time to discuss the details of the surgery and recovery. Two days after my surgery, on a Sunday none the less, Aimee called to check in on how I was feeling and whether there were any questions that had come up. Every aspect of my interactions with him and his staff was excellent! They are absolutely the best and I would highly recommend Dr. Holovacs for anyone with shoulder issues!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2493265].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 12, 2014

He was over two hour late for the appointment, didn't provide any type of exam, and although my MRI showed my rotator cuff is severely damaged, he refused surgery

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2490129].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 9, 2014

Last year I fractured my collarbone (a displaced fracture of the right distal clavical). Although I visited the Harvard Shoulder Service/MGH Sports Medicine just to seek a second opinion; once I received their special care, concern, and objective advice, I stayed with them. I was attracted to the sports medicine clinic because of their experience in bringing injured patients back to high levels of performance. My first visit to the shoulder service was an appointment with Nurse Practitioner Aimee Edgar who arranged for X-Rays, reviewed them, and then E-Mailed the X-Rays to Dr. Holovacs who reviewed them even though he was on vacation. An ORIF procedure was recommended and the established schedule of surgeries was shuffled to fit in my surgery and keep me within the optimum window of time for a surgical repair of the fracture. I can't say enough good things about Aimee Edgar, Dr. Holovacs, MGH Sports Medicine and their high standards of care. –Paul Queeney, Lynn, MA

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1789454].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 2, 2013

I have been a repeat highly satisfied patient of Dr. Holovacs, and I know 3 other satisfied patients. He is a superb surgeon, and he has always been willing to discuss all aspects of my condition. I have used Dr. Holovacs to treat 3 different injuries. In 2004, I had a severe multiple fracture of the humerus inside the shoulder joint. Other surgeons recommended a replacement, but Dr. Holovacs was willing to attempt a repair. At each follow-up visit, he reviewed the x-rays with me and gave a frank assessment of the prospects for success. Three months later, my only limitation was due to the ten screws and one plate which had held the many pieces of bone together while they healed. A week after the hardware removal surgery, I was fully active. When I suffered a crushed scapula with nerve entrapment in 2011, I was once again totally satisfied with Dr. Holovacs. I just returned to him for rotator cuff repair. I have complete confidence in his skill and judgement as do the Red Sox.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1789453].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 11, 2013

6 surgeries later, and finally my shoulder has become pain free. Prior surgeries were performed by different Drs. and the last I saw recommended Dr. Holovac and he was absolutly the best.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1789452].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 11, 2012

Almost a year later, (Sept 26 will be a year) I am pretty much pain free and we are about to fly to California to adopt a little boy. He is due to be born this week. We are over the moon with excitement, and I am just so happy my shoulder is good enough to not even barely notice it except on occasion when I reach up very high. It only feels stiff. I should be just fine with the baby. Thank you for fixing me up. I just wanted to let you know what a difference it made in my life, to be pain free and be confident that I will be ok with an infant, shoulder wise. It was a rough road, shoulder surgery "kicked my butt" like nothing else ever has. It took a good 6 to 8 months before I was glad to have had it done. But you should see me now. I am not even sore anymore. It's amazing. Ok, once in a blue moon I get a twinge, but it's so rare and it's nothing. So thanks so much for helping me so much!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1789451].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 14, 2012

If when rating a doctor you only consider whether that doctor is on time or not, you are really missing the big picture. After 6 years of approximately 40% use of my shoulder, I found Dr Holovacs. Though he ran a little late for my scheduled appointment, he fixed me; nearly 100%. Dr Holovac's is truly a gift to the medical community and especially to the realm of Orthopaedics.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1789450].votes_count ]]