Dr. Charles Bernstein

Rate Dr. Charles Bernstein

Dr. Charles Bernstein's Ratings

I would have died if I had listened to Bernstein and not gotten a second opinion. He did not take my concerns seriously and did not listen to me. He also was incredibly arrogant and rude. He would not even look at me when I spoke to him. I could have bled to death and nearly needed a blood transfusion by the time I saw a different dr. Thank god I listened to my body and not to him. He diagnosed me as having internal hemorrhoids. I actually had severe ulcerative colitis and nearly died!

Submitted Oct. 26, 2013 | flag

Dr. B can come off as a tad distant but he is quite nice overall and is incredibly knowledgeable. I would rather have an arrogant or distant doctor than an incompetent one. He takes the time to listen to how I'm feeling and gives me an idea on what could possibly be going on without worrying me. If a medication doesn't work effectively for then he is perfectly willing to search for other alternatives. (I went through 2 varieties of anti-diarrheal medicine before finding one that worked). I highly recommend him.

Submitted Nov. 3, 2011 | flag

Although I appreciate that he was the GI to finally diagnose my crohn's, I definitely feel more like a research subject to him than a patient. After trying me on numerous meds that just made me sicker, and being sent to see his useless and ****y resident instead of him 3 times when I kept having problems, I ended up in the ER needing an emergency resection. My surgeon was convinced that had he and his staff been more attentive, my problem would have been dealt with months earlier. I will keep seeing him, but from now on will pester him and his staff to no end to make sure they don't lose any more paper work and test forms. He loses interest in you as soon as you're not on one of his drug trials. Watch out for yourself!

Submitted Nov. 28, 2008 | flag

My mom went to see him and he did nothing but treat her like dirt. His staff never calls you back and neither does he. My mom got a sever allergic reaction to a medication he put her on and she ended up going to our family doctor about it. He said to get off of it immedialty and he had never heard of it before. She also contacted the local pharmasist and he said sorry i can't tell you much on it i don't know an overly big amount on it either but i suggest get off of it. This so called dr. does nothing but disrespect his patients and is way too full of himself. *remember there is always someone higher that trained him so do some research. i know i will be for my mom*

Submitted Oct. 9, 2008 | flag

No matter how smart he is, his arrogance and poor bedside matter give him no place practicing on patients. he should stay in research where he does his best work.

Submitted May 4, 2008 | flag

I started to see Dr. Bernstein when I was 13 (i'm 25 now), after a horrible treatment from the Gastroenterologist at Children's. He right away took me off the drugs that were poisoning me that I should have only been on for 6 weeks (I was on it for 7 months, lost feeling in my legs and fingers, and my circulation is not good). He knows what to do, and when something isn't working in my opinion, he's willing to look at alternatives. I'm very happy with Dr. B, and his staff.

Submitted April 8, 2008 | flag

I agree that Dr. B is very arrogent. He insists I have colitis not crohn's despite what 3 other specialists who have actually done tests on me say. Every time I drive the 4 hours to see him, spend the $100+ on a hotel and meals, wait the 3 hours in the waiting room I spend under 10 minutes in his office with him telling me I should get a colectomy. I broke down and went to see the surgen he recommended who told me I shouldn't get the surgery yet, after that Dr.B still insisted I need surgery despite the fact that my symptoms were under control via remmicade. Even though he is a very knowlegable man I think he would be better at researching and testing then actually dealing with patients.

Submitted March 15, 2008 | flag

my now 18 yr old daughter is a patient of his. She has Crohn's. I find Dr B to be very knowledgeable, but does come off a little arrogant. I find his staff almost impossible to get into contact with, and don't always follow through with what they say they will do. I found if you have done any research and ask any questions he doesn't really like that. Now adays you have to be very proactive in your/your families health care. I did feel pushed out. I know he is a reallly busy Dr, and an amazing one at that, but, PR skills could use a bit of buffing. Otherwise, great dr and I hope he keeps up doing the great work he is doing. I am very thankful we got on to see him as quickly as we did! I would just like to be more involved with my daughters care, ie: get copies of tests results, etc like they do in the states.

Submitted Dec. 3, 2007 | flag

Not worth the wait. Waited 6 months to see this guy. No proper exam, dismissed the problem, said he wouldn't find anything. Have stage 4 cancer. Not very happy. If you get blown off, go somewhere else.

Submitted Oct. 16, 2007 | flag

The confidence that Dr. Bernstein gives you is because he is such a down to earth and knowledgable doctor. I would recommend him to anyone!! He is always willing to try new things to help you feel better!

Submitted Oct. 16, 2007 | flag