Rate Dr. C McParland

Dr. C McParland's Ratings

I visited this office about 2 years ago. I waited for over an hour past my appointment time before I was seen by the doctor. I have had asthma for over 25 years...Never in all those years were my breasts exposed for a doctor to listen to my chest, until I visited this office. I was instructed to remove everything from the waist up and to put on a johnny shirt. Upon Dr McPharland entering the room he advised me that he was going to move the johnny shirt to listen to my lungs....I was shocked and appalled when he completely exposed BOTH of my breasts at the same time to conduct his "medical examination". After this "examination" he excused himself from the room and didn't return for 10-15 minutes. His only advice (given my 25+years experience with asthma) was to attend his clinic on a regular basis for their asthma educatoin program. Needless to say I have not been back.

Submitted May 15, 2013 | flag

Like the other poster and the experience re: Cancer .... my brother saw him for almost 2 years but McParland couldn't find out what was wrong beyond his asthma. He did several breathing tests and bronchos; found nothing, maintaining a wait and see attitude almost. My brother had also been telling him about his severe bain pain and the pain in his lung. All wasted time and visits and his "mass" (that was/had been showing on x rays etc) kept getting bigger. McParland finally sent him to a thoracic surgeon who did a biopsy. Turned out he was Stage 4 lung cancer which had spread to his vertebrae and his liver. Unless you're there to see him for "standard" on-going maintenance of your disease or condition; I would strongly suggest you run (don't walk) to the nearest exit!

Submitted Sept. 29, 2011 | flag

Does know his stuff,Just wish staff would read a new patients file,Was referred there for a lump on my lung,Staff where unaware of this till I mentioned it,They thought I was there for my breathing problems.Could have a better bedside manner though.

Submitted April 29, 2010 | flag

My mother was referred to Dr. McParland in 2004, when a mass was found on her lung during an x-ray . Dr. Damian Haworth referred my mother to Dr. McParland and my sister and I went to visits. We thought he was very nice and also thought he was knowledgable....but turns out we were wrong. Dr. McParland kept saying at every visit that he wasn't really sure of what the mass was and it seemed spherical so it doesn't really mean it's growing. ( Dr Haworth had received the updated x-rays from McParland and was very concerned as he thought the mass was growing). Dr. McParland did some tests of the fluid in the lung area and all came back ok, so he just kept 'watching" it. well finally after a year of watching, mum was sent to a great surgeon, Heinkelof in HFX,he said no doubt it is cancer,operated the next month. They operated,tests showed it had went to lymph nodes. Now is back 2 yrs later, terminal. If Dr.Mcparland had acted sooner, I feel she would be cancer free today!! very sad

Submitted Aug. 11, 2008 | flag

DR. COLM McPARLAND IS AN ALL EXCELLENT PERSON !

Submitted Feb. 13, 2008 | flag

In my opinion, Dr. McParland is the top respirologist for adults in Halifax.

Submitted March 26, 2007 | flag

My husband went to Dr. McParland for quite a few years, We were very satisfied with him. In 2004 my husband passed away and I moved to Victoria B.C. to be with my daughter. We were always so impresssed ith the docot and I think of him often. He was a very caring doctor

Submitted Feb. 20, 2007 | flag

He made me feel important and takes the time to listen. Under his care I got better but my health has since deteriorated because we have to drive over 350 km to visit him in Halifax and it is not always possible. It's a pity family doctors refuse to listen to the advise of specialists such as Dr. McParland.

Submitted Feb. 14, 2007 | flag

He used to be my respirologist. I always found him to be helpful, kind, and very good. He kept up on current research. Dr. McParland is also easy to talk to and I found that he did not rush me through appointments. He was always happy to answer questions and review results. If he has not seen you in a long awhile and meets you in the hospital he still remembers you and ask how you are doing. I'd recommend him!

Submitted Dec. 9, 2006 | flag