Rate Dr. Mark R. Shaya

Dr. Mark R. Shaya's Ratings

I came to see Dr. Shaya after experiencing extreme numbness and tingling in my left left. Prior doctors treated it as a sciatica episode. After multiple injections, steroids, and physical therapy, my condition continued to deteriorate. I insisted on an MRI from my insurance company. I saw Dr. Shaya on a Wednesday afternoon when he read the MRI and he operated Friday morning. All that time I had been suffering and getting worse I had a spinal tumor growing around L4-S1 plus wrapping itself around my nerves and depriving them of blood flow. If it wasn't for Dr. Shaya my quality of life would have severely continued to deteriorate. I'm now 6 weeks out and rehabbing by jogging in my pool and doing Pilates. He's accessible, professional, caring, and direct. Truly, you could not possibly ask for more from a surgeon.

Submitted Sept. 11, 2014 | flag

Very accessible, I showed up to office for a prescription and questions and his staff fit me right in. I had lumbar disc taken out in June and I feel very good, I had surgery at university hospital which was okay, I stayed there two days.

Submitted Aug. 23, 2014 | flag

I had a disk in my neck. Surgery was yesterday, typing this in my hospital bed. Leaving home today. THe pain down my arm and under my shoulder blade is gone! Thanks to Dr. Shaya and his team.

Submitted Aug. 19, 2014 | flag

Dr Shaya is a fine Surgeon, but doesn't place his I am perfect ego at the door. Because I did not heal as expected, I was told they no longer take my insurance and he refused to complete paperwork for the VA or Disability in a truthful manner. He placed a number of "I Don't Knows". When he darn well knew that I was no longer functional. He needs to get over himself and his % and realize patients do come before ego.

Submitted Aug. 9, 2014

Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. I was first diagnosed with a bulging L5 disk, spondylolisthesis in 1992, and visited a surgeon (MRI, surgery not recommended), a chiropractor, a network chiropractor (helpful), and a physical therapist, who gave me simple exercises which eliminated the pain for 20 years. In the fall of 2013, the pain was relentless and PT was no longer helpful. After a visit to the ER and a CT scan, I was given pain killers and a list of a dozen surgeons and advised to consider surgery as soon as possible. I researched the surgeons listed. Dr. Shaya was consistently top-of-the-list. The surgery eliminated the pain. Dr. Shaya explained my condition and answered my questions clearly, and his staff was a pleasure to work with. I highly recommend Dr. Shaya.

Submitted March 20, 2014 | flag

Dr. Shaya is a genious to say the least. He treated my case with sense of urgency and gave it to me straight. I met a few Neuros not really sure what to do and after meeting him I was confident that he was the best . I believe he gave me the best advice and my pain was completely gone after my surgery just as he explained my neck is almost perfect 3 days after my surgery ... Love you Doc!!!

Submitted Dec. 11, 2013 | flag

My experience with Dr. Shaya was amazing. I am a 36 female who suffered from chronic lower back pain and sciatica for three (3) years. During the last few months I was walking with a cane taking all types of medication for pain and including high blood pressure medications. When I met Dr. Shaya he assured me that after L4, L5 Laminectomy with fusion I would be fine. I trusted him, went to surgery and I can honestly say that I got my life back. Immediately after surgery I had no sciatica pain. I am now 1 month post operative, no longer taking pain medications nor high blood pressure meds and I am walking, exercising and doing everything I couldn't do before. Thank you Dr. Shaya You helped me gain my life again. I highly recommend Dr. Shaya and his friendly and helpful staff.

Submitted Oct. 26, 2013 | flag

Very good office, staff is knowledgeable. Doctor spent about 30 minutes with me and explained things very well.

Submitted Oct. 24, 2013 | flag

Dr Shaya and his staff were just awesome. My procedure was carefully explained to me by everyone. After going home to Illinois, many follow up phone calls were made to me just to see how I was doing. I would recommend Dr Mark Shaya to anyone. Signed, Len Piasecki, Ashley Illinois.

Submitted July 26, 2013 | flag

I had a back surgery less than a month ago that involved spinal fusion of 2 discs and laminectomy of a 3rd one. Being in the medical field, I had spent at least 2 weeks researching a neurosurgeons that I can trust with this surgery. Dr Shaya got excellent reviews and always topped any list of recommendations I could find. I got to experience the excellent service first hand when I made my first appointment to see him. The office staff were excellent and friendly. Dr Shaya is an intelligent physician, direct to the point and gives a convincing explanation to any treatment plan including surgery if needed. I had the surgery done just a week from the time and I saw him, and the recovery is going extremely well considering it was an invasive surgery. I highly recommend him, and very grateful to this man.

Submitted May 13, 2013 | flag