You may also like

Rate Dr. Mark R. Shaya

Dr. Mark R. Shaya's Ratings

After visiting dozens of other doctors, no one was able to help me. I have a rare disease which made my case difficult and most doctors are afraid to address it. Dr. Shaya took one look at my MRI and found the problem immediately. The surgery was scheduled quickly. We did a couple of temporary surgeries to see if the permanent surgery would work. Sure enough after the permanent surgery I am a completely different person. I had been a home body for a little over a year because of the pain and now I am pain free and doing excellent. Dr. Shaya truly is my hero. I know that if it wasn't for him, I would still be in excruciating pain. His staff is also very sweet and helpful. They always go the extra mile. And all the nurses that tend to you after surgery at UM are so good and caring. Highly Recommended! I suggest not even wasting your time going to any other Neurosurgeons...Dr. Mark Shaya is the one!

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][2728390].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 19, 2015

Over the holidays I had a minimally invasive spinal fusion/discectomy for ruptured discs between C5/C6 and C6/C7 with Dr. Shaya. I had serious pain off and on for the past two years and he was the first doctor I saw regarding this issue. I did get other opinions but went with Dr. Shaya as he explained everything very clearly, gave me great confidence in the diagnosis and recommendation and was flexible in scheduling and getting this done. The surgery went spectacularly well and 6 weeks out I am already back in the gym doing light exercise every day and feel no pain at all. Thanks Dr. Shaya!

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2722817].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 15, 2015

Recovering here at University of Miami Hospital after lumbar surgery yesterday. Leg pain completely gone, pain from incision is controllable with meds. Nurses are great. Food is okay. Hoping to go home tomorrow.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2681807].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 13, 2015

Excellent surgeon. Outstanding results.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2653146].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 14, 2014

I had acdf surgury in early Nov on c5-c7. I am 57 years old. My discs have been herniated for over 20 years. I have arthritis, spinal stenosis, bone spurs and migraines. I was experiencing severe neck pain and could not funtion daily activitys at all. This surgury was long over due. I live in Boca Raton. It was worth the long drive. Dr Shaya is a highly skilled surgeon. I am so happy that I chose him. I am pain free. I finally have my life back. Its remarkable how good I feel 6 weeks after surgury.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2651617].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 12, 2014

Excellent staff. best opinion so far. I have cervical spondylitis.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2636948].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 29, 2014

I had back surgery for lumbar stenosis in May 2014. The results are amazing! Almost 5 months after surgery and I would say I am about 90% back to normal. Instant relief of the pain from day 1, as soon as I woke up from surgery. Dr. Shaya and personnel are patience, respectful and understanding. Would definitely recommend him!

Was this rating useful? 5 [[ userState['ratings'][2553427].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 26, 2014

I am a 50 year old female with neck and back pain for well over 10 years, I had a lumbar fusion in 2005 in another state. Since moving to Miami I had to seek help for the pain increase pain in my neck and arms, I was under the care of a local Doctor who treated me with therapy in his office for about two years and the pain continued. I did some research and came across Dr. Shaya and after some test and a few visits he recommended a cervical fusion and it was done in January 2013, the surgery was a success since the pain I was having is no longer there and I was able to return to work within 2 months . I had to follow up Dr. Shaya in 2014 for the lumbar and had to be operated in July 2014, I am currently recovering and but the initial complaint and pain I suffered from is no longer there. I have complete confidence that the second surgery is also successful. I most certainly would recommend Dr. Shaya as I have enough confidence in him to have had two procedure. Thank you Dr. Shaya

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2547024].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 22, 2014

Justiz surgery date September 3, 2014
I am very satisfied with my experience with Dr. Shaya. I was wheeled in to his office unable to walk. Dr. Shaya assessed my condition and decided to have me hospitalized due to the severity of my pain. I had , spinal stenosis, compressed nerves. Dr shaya was able to immediately pinpoint my problem. He was confident in his recommendation of surgery if I wanted any relief. Dr. Shaya has given me a new lease on a narcotic and pain free life. Most importantly I am able to walk!
Thank you Dr. Shaya but my 8 year old daughter thanks you most.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2546310].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 22, 2014

I was very satisfied with my experience with Dr. Shaya. I had herniated discs, spinal stenosis, compressed nerves and a sacral cyst. I was having back pain, along with bilateral burning nerve pain in the groin and thigh area to the point I was beginning to have no quality of life. I went to other doctors prior to meeting Dr. Shaya, and only Dr. Shaya was able to immediately pinpoint my problem with compressed nerves, etc. He was confident in his recommendation to me for surgery if I wanted any chance to get better. I had a bilateral laminectomy L3, L4, L5, S1 and foraminotomies where the nerves were decompressed. The tarlov cyst at S2 was shrunk down. (Dr Shaya is one of a few doctors in the country who is skilled in treating these kind of cysts). I have heard the horror stories out there with those who have had failed back surgery by other doctors, but Dr. Shaya was reassuring with his expertise. I was also impressed with Dr Shaya's no-nonsense approach and his accessibility and quick response to questions. He understands when patients are in pain and I was able to have my surgery promptly scheduled. Dr. Shaya was receptive and accommodating when it came to my medical needs and recovery in the hospital. I had my surgery about 6 months ago without any complications, and by my 3rd month I was starting to feel much better with significant improvement to the point where I felt I got my life back! For this, I am very grateful, and would highly recommend Dr. Shaya as a brilliant, thorough and compassionate surgeon. Thank you, Dr. Shaya!

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2543783].votes_count ]]