You may also like

Rate Dr. Stephen Kaye

Dr. Stephen Kaye's Ratings

Dr. Kaye attended my son's birth at Lions Gate Hospital. I had been working with Dr. Mark Rosengarten (who I **HIGHLY RECOMMEND**) and team, but after my water broke the morning of 3/7, I learned that BC Women's Hospital was "on diversion" and was sent off to give birth at Lions Gate Hospital.

Dr. Kaye paid a brief visit while I was receiving synthetic oxytocin and starting to feel pretty rotten. He introduced himself and a medical student, told me that he read my file and knew what I wanted in terms of my birth plan, and did not ask a single question about my situation or inquire about my well-being.

Dr. Kaye was clearly competent in terms of his medical knowledge; however, I was surprised and disappointed by his poor bedside manner. He did not orient me to procedures he performed beyond saying something like, "I'm going to examine your cervix." After the exam, he offhandedly mentioned that he "swept my membranes," something that would have been appropriate to mention before he actually did it. He palpated my pelvis to examine my baby's head size, and then without explanation, asked he to hold up my hand against his. He off-handedly commented that it was more likely than not I would end up needing a c-section regardless of how long the induction continued, then said that he would continue the induction through the next morning, and left the room without soliciting my opinion or offering recommendations.

After much speculation about why he encouraged continuing the induction in spite of his opinion that a c-section was likely in my future, and once my baby's heart rate started climbing into what's apparently an unsafe range, I spoke to the nurse monitoring the induction who mentioned that I "failed the Kaye test." I asked her what she meant, and she explained that my hand was smaller than his, and according to his experience, that meant my pelvis/bone structure likely wouldn't handle a vaginal birth. In the interest of being candid and empowering the patient to make self-directed medical decisions, this is something he should have told me himself.

After talking things over with medically-trained family members, I opted to move forward with the c-section earlier rather than later, figuring that it would be preferable to recover from a c-section after 12 hours versus 24 hours of futile induced labor. At that point, Dr. Kaye had left the hospital and called me on my cell to discuss my change in plans. He returned around 10:30pm in a snazzy Saturday night outfit -- perhaps I interrupted a dinner plans? -- and, to his credit, rapidly activated the surgical team and performed the procedure in a medically competent manner.

Dr. Kaye rounded on my son and I three times before I was discharged. He seemed rushed, and never inquired about how I was doing, even though I was clearly in rough shape (emotionally-speaking) during the first few days after birth. I don't mean to imply he needed to take responsibility for my emotional well-being; however, it's important for medical providers to express concern about the patient's basic well-being, as that's an important consideration when assessing physical health.

In short, I disliked that Dr. Kaye seemed rushed, made unchecked assumptions, did not provide me with information I would have liked in order to make informed decisions about my son's birth, and did not communicate information in a clear manner. Additionally, though I respect clinical experience and judgment, I would have liked to hear Dr. Kaye cite **evidence** to support his ideas about what was likely to happen depending on how I decided to move forward in giving birth to my son. (Aren't we in the age of evidence-based medicine!?) Finally, I was also disappointed that he never expressed interest in my opinions or subjective well-being. From my perspective (a psychologist who has spent lots of time working in medical settings), Dr. Kaye was medically competent but had poor communication skills and an astonishingly poor bedside manner.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2748352].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 15, 2015

Wonderful doctor. He is a very good listener and made me feel that he was genually concerned for my well-being

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2745186].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 9, 2015

He is a great doctor and a fantastic surgeon. He did a c-section on me and i didn't feel any pain and it has been 5 months and no complication so far.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2732876].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 24, 2015

great doctor……………………………………………………………………………………………...

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2719737].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 12, 2015

Stephen Kaye is an outstanding surgeon and I trust him completely - he managed to succesfully do a very tricky procedure with excellent results - Amy,his receptionist is also very helpful and I am so glad I was referred to him.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2659820].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 21, 2014

I saw Dr. Kaye in the spring with an emergency ectopic. His bedside manner was horrendous. I didn't like him and felt that he was cold and lacked empathy. Not impressed.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][1802652].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 18, 2013

I have been patient of Dr Kaye for many years. I changed my previous Dr because his answer to everything was surgery, and he screwed up a procedure very badly for my mom. I have found Dr Kaye very knowledgeable, professional, patient, warm and caring. He explains the problem, and all alternative solutions, and he recommends one, and he tells you why, and then he is open to discussions and questions. For a science nerd like me, he is perfect, as I get all my questions answered. Also, he probes and follows up on many aspects, not just what you are there to see him for, which is great, because we don't always know what may be important to tell. He provided me with a non-invasive alternative solution to a problem I had, which other doctors had suggested surgery, and it worked great.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][1802651].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 22, 2012

Extremely poor and dangerous service received in January 2011. Patient ended up in hospital due to overdose prescribed by Dr Kaye's office.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][1802650].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 7, 2012

I have just returned from my visit with Dr Kaye to have a polyp removed from my cervix. I very much appreciated the time Dr Kaye spent prior to the procedure talking about peri-menopausal issues and possible treatment options. He was very thoughtful about my own history and reasonable options. As for the procedure itself, it was painless, quick and much less discomfort than a typical pap exam. My experience was very positive. Thank you Dr Kaye.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1802649].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 31, 2012

I went for years in horrible pain, being misdiagnosed and being dismissed by doctor's who could not figure out what was wrong with me, and would not take the time to find out. Dr. Kaye was the first one to do so after at least 8 years of suffering. He is kind, caring, professional, thorough and extremely intelligent. I am very lucky to have found him! Amy his receptionist is wonderful to deal with as well!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1802648].votes_count ]]