You may also like

Rate Dr. Gena Marshall

Dr. Gena Marshall's Ratings

Over prescribes medications that exacerbates the medical issues and in fact may be contraindicated. Allows old prescriptions to continue to the point of addiction. Totally disrespecrfully of people's time. The us of cheap transistor radio for privacey is ludicrous especially when always loud irritating and difficult to endure while waiting your 1 or 2 hours to see her. Visiting a walk in clinic is infinitely better than using her unless she is the attending physician. Her unprofessional demeanor and dress attire take it to a whole new level at times.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2746284].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 11, 2015

I moved to Halifax 2 years ago and have been a patient of Dr. marshall's ever since. I came to this site with interest of reading other people's experiences with her and was not at all surprised at how many of them were bad reviews. I agree and relate with so many of the negative statements that it is disturbing. Dr. Marshall is not a pleasant doctor. Every visit I have had with her, she has been either agitated, flustered, rushed, confrontational, dismissive or completely ignorant of my medical history and present conditions. Waiting hours to see Dr. Marshall has been the least of my concerns. As a young professional who has been having chronic illness and pain I can honestly say that Dr. Marshall is not capable of tending to a patient's needs. Whether you consider yourself a "low-maintenance" and healthy individual who doesn't require much attention, I would still avoid confiding in Dr. Marshall. Everyone deserves and needs a family doctor who not only listens to them and takes their health seriously, but provides a genuine and professional service. Ultimately, I am disturbe that Dr. Marshall continues to practice and pretend to provide a service that so many patients feel she emotionally and professionally fails at.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2735093].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 25, 2015

It took me a long time to decide to write this. After reading the reviews here i see i am not the only one. If this sytem allowed a 0 that is what i would give. The gruff, rude manner i could forgive somewhat. we are all different. On one situation she send me to a specialist for a hernia and he was confused because he doesn't do hernia's? He gave me a prostate exam then i had to go back to her and start over.
Another time i asked the office person if i had time to run downstairs and get a paper as it looked like she was running behind. Not uncommon for any doctor to be an hour behind schedule later in the day. Dr. Marshall did not like this and got very angry. A couple of hours later when another patient sitting next to me was crying etc and very uncomfortable i asked when her appointment was. It was 2 and 1/2 hours before that. The doctor proceeded to lecture us in front of everyone in the waiting room. There were several more situations, all very immature. I felt like i was in high school. I never once was saucy or raised my voice. When it was my turn she diagnosed my issue then took my blood pressure. Totally un-related to my symptoms. Then said to me that my pressure was a bit high, must have been because of the wait she said.Very childish. I never once talked back or raised my voice. I was 3 and 1/2 hours past my appointment.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2731512].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 22, 2015

Dr. Marshall seems to be a non-nonsense Dr. and gets down to business fast. I like that in a Dr. I do not have to be coddled. I just need medical advice. I rated her 3 stars on Punctuality because most dr.s are a 1 on punctuality and Dr. Marshall is much more efficient. Most often you have to wait 1-2hours for a visit with most Dr.s. I've never waited that long for Dr. Marshall.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2720966].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 13, 2015

I've never used this site before but it's interesting to read the experience of others. I had Dr Marshall when I first moved to Halifax, was referred by my best friend and her partner. My cousin was also a patient. She was rude, she hated when I suggested I knew what I needed (managed my asthma with support of previous GP for years) and would do the complete opposite of what I asked. The last straw for me was after I'd been off work for 2 weeks with Asthmatic complications. I asked her to order the combination of items my old GP would for me (codeine cough syrup at night, puffer increases & I needed a sick note for work). She refused. She also refused to contact my previous GP, who had known me since I was born. Then she refused to accept a letter from the same GP regarding my management regimen for asthma. She told me I could have some massage therapy, I looked at her and said "are you serious?". I've never been back, interestingly my friend, her now husband and my cousin ALL have similar stories and have all found other physicians as well. I also hated getting pap tests done by her as she would not leave the room to allow me to change. Honestly if my current Doctor did that I wouldn't even notice but with her it was just weird. Now have a Doctor in the same building, maybe four doors away; and she is AMAZING.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2687544].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 17, 2015

Normally I would only take the time to provide feedback on a Dr that was of the positive variety however, in the case of Dr Marshall I simply can not. I inherited her when my previous Doc (who was amazing) moved to Australia so I thought hey, let's give her a shot. From day one it has been a losing battle. She is rude, argumentative, condescending, dismissive and very confrontational. She is always at least 1 - 1 1/2 hours behind schedule and appears stressed, unkempt and flustered. In the 10 years I have had her as my GP I have never once left her office feeling good about our encounter. I generally avoid visits to her office by using walk-in clinics whenever possible. And to give you an idea of how her mind works, rather than soundproofing her office to allow for the required Dr patient confidentiality she plays a transistor radio, very loudly I might add, in the waiting area to prevent those waiting from hearing the conversations being had in her office - A band-aid solution. If you can avoid this Doctor, do so!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2659660].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 20, 2014

In the past, I had taken time to rate the Drs I've had who deserved a positive review. I thought long and hard before writing something negative, but I hope you can find this useful and run away from this Dr if you ever encounter her.
I took my 18 m old sick daughter to her in a walk in clinic last week:
- She was late to come in,
-She was late by 1 hr 45 mins in seeing us
She was rude, no introduccion ( basic manners)
No eye contact
Interrupted us constantly
Rushed, seemed frustrated..really negative energy
FAILED TO SEE MY DAUGHTERS EAR INFECTION...which caused us to rush her to the IWK three days later and be put on ABs
As a result my daughter was very weak and lost appetite and weight and was misserable
FAILED TO PROPERLY TREAT HER PINK EYE...not wanting to prescribe the madicated drops and said she would be fine with OTC Polysporin drops.....even the pharmacist shook her head!!!.
She was loud and dismissive.
We were in shock and couldnt react to any of that MEDIOCRITY
Anyways.....I see there is a lot of negative comments, enough for someone to do something about it.
She should take a break...maybe consider another profession.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2653588].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 15, 2014

I have been a patient of Dr. Marshall's for a few years now. I sometimes wonder if she is going through some sort of personal crisis. She seems disconnected, flustered and sometimes a little scary. She is always at least an hour behind. She can't keep office personnel and I wonder if she's very difficult to work for, because she always seems to blame her staff for poor record-keeping. If I could get a new family doctor, I would, but I'm stuck with her.
On a positive note, she has called me back on many occasions with new information if she comes across it. It has been a while, though, and I think those days are over. She has gone downhill. I feel really bad for her and I hope she gets her act together because I thought she was pretty great when I first started seeing her.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2590369].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 23, 2014

I have never rated a doctor before, but I feel I have to. Initially, she was abrupt, later more personable. But like others have said: 1. I have found her rude, argumentative and dismissive (she filled out a form wrong and I had to leave work until she could fill out a new one) 2. attention to charting, not listening = inaccurate records 3. refusing to address more than 1 issue: she has refused to look at a skin condition for 5 months – it keeps getting worse 4. error in refilling a blood pressure RX, caught by the pharmacist But the last visit was IT - I was worried about gaining weight on a medication, she said that if I thought I would never gain weight on any medication, maybe I should see a psychiatrist, and she started to fill out the referral. See #1 and 2. After all this, I’m done.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2455192].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 25, 2014

Every time I've been to see Dr Marshall, I have had to wait LONG past my appointment time. The last time, my appointment was for 11:30, and I finally walked out at 12:40 - I never even got in to see her! Because of this, I find that appointments with her always feel 'rushed', because she's trying to catch up. I'm looking for a new doctor who respects his/her patients' time, and I wouldn't recommend Dr. Marshall.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1807066].votes_count ]]