Rate Dr. Jorge Mayo

Dr. Jorge Mayo's Ratings

I was referred to Dr. Mayo by my Midwife at 38 weeks due too baby being in breech position. Right away when meeting him the first time I had a good feeling. He is a no nonsense straight to the point doctor who told me both the risks and benefits in having a vaginal breech birth and that he would support and help me accomplish that if I chose. When I went into labour my Midwife accompanied me to hospital and while he was not the on call at the time he came straight away. The on call had already started prepping me for a c section and just as I was getting on the operating table he showed up and told me to start pushing! He tried right till the very end to let me deliver natural but in the end baby distressed and an emergency c section was needed. I can't say enough about how awesome Dr.Mayo was for me and I feel like he truly cares about his patients and their wishes. I especially love the fact that he is fully respectful and mindful of women's abilities to birth babies even in some what complicated circumstances ie VBAC, breech etc. And works well with and is respectful of Midwives and their abilities. I would recommend him to any one and I am hopeful to get in with him for my next pregnancy.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2744495].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 8, 2015

Dr. Mayo was nothing short of amazing. SOOO glad I got referred to him. He was so nice and made me feel like I was important. My mom passed away 2 days after I gave birth and I was still in the hospital, every day he told me how sorry he was and how much he enjoyed her coming to my appointment and that he really valued her opinion which I thought was amazing. I would absolutely refer him to anyone who need an OBGYN 100%

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2736992].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 26, 2015

Reading some of these comments is laughable. Oh my gosh - a specialist who happens to be a surgeon makes split second decisions... What do you think these physicians do all day every day?

I have been a patient at this clinic since it was Dr. Carlos Mayo, Dr. Mayo's brother. Both brothers were ob/gyns in their home country, which I believe to be Chile. The individual who complained of his "communication issues" is outrageous, in my opinion. I had no difficulty communicating with him when I was still a teenager and he had just moved to Canada. Come on. Any physician that is passionate enough about his work to re-enter university so that he can practice in his field gets my attention.

I will grant other patients that the wait can be ridiculous. But, when a doctor is late because he is running across the street to perform emergency c- sections

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2730792].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 21, 2015

I love doctor Mayo! He assisted me with my infertility. Then when I got pregnant I developed a rare pregnancy condition at 30 weeks that he explained and helped me through.

HOWEVER his receptionists are a joke. With my second I developed the same condition as my first and I had been out on bedrest the first time. Well when I got diagnosed the second time the hospital didn't give me any information when I left so I called dr mayos office. His receptionist told me "I doubt you'll be on bedrest at 24 weeks" to which I explained I was last time and could she please leave a message for doctor mayo to ask him if I should be going into work in 2 days. I waited the 3 hours that day and ALL the next day and nothing. I went to work and called again when his office opened and talked to Paula. She went and talked to dr Mayo and called me back within 15 minutes saying not only should I be on bed rest it shouldn't have left the hospital!! I packed up my work stuff and left.

During that same pregnancy I was supposed to be scheduled for another ultrasound at the royal and I called his receptionist 4 times to ask when my appointment was and they said they didn't have the date and time back. Finally the health nurse who came daily called the royal who said they haddnt even gotten the forms yet! She called Paula who sent them right away and again I had an appointment within 30minutes.

Dr mayo is very busy so when he falls behind he runs late. But I appreciate it because of his business I want him there for me during my delivery so why would I fault him for doing the same for others.

In fact I reccomended dr mayo to 3 of my friends who all had equally great experiences with dr mayo and awful with his reception. My one friend had a vba2c and he was completely on board. She had the natural child birth she had always wanted. She had a typed out birth plan that dr mayo didn't question or object to at all.

I hope he doesn't retire before I try for a 3rd baby because I couldn't imagine seeing anyone else for my pregnancy.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2714155].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 8, 2015

Dr.MAYO IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! He is the best doctor I ever had. He is so kind and caring and really takes his time to find out what your problem is. He treats you like a human being and gets to the bottom of your problem with no hesitations. I have had multiple surgeries done by him and he always does a good job. I refuse to see any gynaecologist but him. His nurse is also great. She is very understanding and patient. Dr. Mayo is the best doctor ever. AMAZING DOCTOR! I would recommend him to anyone! I give him five stars. He has the magic touch! He is amazing!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2711742].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 6, 2015

I had phoned the office to speak to Dr. Wong’s receptionist to book an appointment, phone was busy, so I did a redial on speaker phone while doing things in the kitchen. My 3 year old daughter pressed option 1 when got connected and I ended up speaking with Dr. Mayo’s very rude receptionist. I requested to speak to Dr. Wong’s receptionist, but I was denied, I was told to phone the clinic back and pay attention to the menu and press correct extension for Dr. Wong’s receptionist. I explained that the phone line was busy and I finally got through, but my young daughter pressed option 1 by mistake, I requested to be transferred to Dr. Wong’s receptionist again or if she could please tell Dr. Wong’s receptionist that I had phoned, I was again denied. I was told that the old man has new policy not to transfer phone calls and only handle our own patients, not other doctors. After that, the lady rudely hung up on me.

I was shocked, never seen such unprofessionalism. Anyone who goes to this clinic will see that Dr. Mayo’s receptionist sits right next to Dr. Wong’s receptionist, very close proximity. All she had to do was turn her head and tell the receptionist that I was on the phone. There should be some level of professionalism and team work in the office.

Next time I was in the office, I went to Dr. Mayo’s receptionist to tell her how rude she was on the phone and I did not appreciate her attitude and not willing to help me. She told me that she is just following the old man’s policies. I am assuming that old man is being referred to Dr. Mayo. Again, not professional, to call such names. While I was walking away to sit in the waiting room with my husband, my husband heard the receptionist tell another lady, “that Dr. Wong’s patient is such a bitch”.

If you want to deal with professional staff, an amazing doctor, I strongly advise you to speak to your family doctor and request to be sent to Dr. Wong. Dr. Wong is amazing and his staff are super nice and professional.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2657442].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 18, 2014

too many problems with this office, initally i was booked by Paula to come in Edson, I showed up and was told that I dont have an appointment. I phoned the office and spoke to a very rude lady who did not help and transferred me to Paula who told me that she will put me on waiting list, I told her that I am bleeding, so she booked me for Edmonton appointment. I came all the way to Edmonton and the receptionist tells me that I dont have an appointment and need to be rescheduled. I explained what happened with Edson and I told receptionist that Paula booked my appointment, it did not matter, I got rescheduled again. I came back 3 weeks later and finally saw Dr. Mayo, he is older man, had communication issues, it was difficult at times to communicate with him, his english is not very good. I met Paula at this appointment and she was the nurse, I asked her if she was the one who did my appointments and she said yes, I explained to her about my appointments and rude receptionist, she just shrugged her shoulders and didnt care. She told me that she was the nurse for Dr. Mayo and she gave me medical advise which was incorrect and different from what Dr. Mayo had told me and my husband. I had phoned the office back to speak to the nurse and I was told that Candace is the nurse and not Paula, this really worried me because of all the medical advise that Paula had given to me. I know for sure now that Paula is NOT a nurse, she is not license practical nurse, she is not registered nurse. She should NOT be working as a nurse, she should NOT be giving medical advise, also she should NOT be making false claims that she is a nurse. If she is lying about being a nurse, how can she be trusted. In my opinion it is unprofessional to make false claims and pretend to be someone who you are not. I just hope she is not going around pretending to be a doctor. This office is disorganized, unprofessional staff, difficult communicating with the doctor. I do not recommend this place, better to go to another clinic!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2651384].votes_count ]]

Submitted Dec. 12, 2014

I was refered to dr mayo by my midwife because I found out late in my pregnancy my baby was breech. I was referred to him because he is supposed to be 'midwife friendly and open to natural birth' but I just find him to be a regular clinical dr, not that warm or friendly. What I wanted was him to give me his opinion on whether I should have a cs or try and do it naturally. He would not give me his definitive opinion, just facts and I had to ask all the questions he wouldnt offer up anything only respond to my questions. Some women may like that but i wanted to know what he thought i should do, him being the expert. Anyway since giving birth i have seen him a few more times and he is not as cold so maybe he had an off day. My real issue is with the staff. I spoke to his nurse about whether I should have surgery while on my period and she treated me like an idiot. Just say yes you can still have surgery and leave it at that but no she had to go on and on and on. She was so bitchy about it, I called her on it and she totally denied she was being rude. Once I have my last apt with dr mayo I'm done with that place, the staff dont care about patients at al.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2650101].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 11, 2014

I had a vaginal historectomy and the surgery was great but my medicine wasnt working i tried to get a hold of the nurse to get something different and it was a thursday and she never call me till the next week by then i just took asprin. I think the doctor is great but the service afterwards sucks.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2648816].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 10, 2014

Really love Dr. Mayo. He really took his time with me to address all of my concerns.

HOWEVER. Staff is ridiculously slow at getting back to you. I waited for over 2 weeks for a nurse to call me back. Her voicemail says that she would respond within 2 business days. I called and called and was always left on hold for obscene amounts of time and never got through to the nurse.

Also, reception has no idea what they are talking about. Ever. Agree with those below. Not very good staff.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2647869].votes_count ]]