Rate Dr. Jorge Mayo

Dr. Jorge Mayo's Ratings

I had phoned the office to speak to Dr. Wong’s receptionist to book an appointment, phone was busy, so I did a redial on speaker phone while doing things in the kitchen. My 3 year old daughter pressed option 1 when got connected and I ended up speaking with Dr. Mayo’s very rude receptionist. I requested to speak to Dr. Wong’s receptionist, but I was denied, I was told to phone the clinic back and pay attention to the menu and press correct extension for Dr. Wong’s receptionist. I explained that the phone line was busy and I finally got through, but my young daughter pressed option 1 by mistake, I requested to be transferred to Dr. Wong’s receptionist again or if she could please tell Dr. Wong’s receptionist that I had phoned, I was again denied. I was told that the old man has new policy not to transfer phone calls and only handle our own patients, not other doctors. After that, the lady rudely hung up on me.

I was shocked, never seen such unprofessionalism. Anyone who goes to this clinic will see that Dr. Mayo’s receptionist sits right next to Dr. Wong’s receptionist, very close proximity. All she had to do was turn her head and tell the receptionist that I was on the phone. There should be some level of professionalism and team work in the office.

Next time I was in the office, I went to Dr. Mayo’s receptionist to tell her how rude she was on the phone and I did not appreciate her attitude and not willing to help me. She told me that she is just following the old man’s policies. I am assuming that old man is being referred to Dr. Mayo. Again, not professional, to call such names. While I was walking away to sit in the waiting room with my husband, my husband heard the receptionist tell another lady, “that Dr. Wong’s patient is such a bitch”.

If you want to deal with professional staff, an amazing doctor, I strongly advise you to speak to your family doctor and request to be sent to Dr. Wong. Dr. Wong is amazing and his staff are super nice and professional.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2657442].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 18, 2014

too many problems with this office, initally i was booked by Paula to come in Edson, I showed up and was told that I dont have an appointment. I phoned the office and spoke to a very rude lady who did not help and transferred me to Paula who told me that she will put me on waiting list, I told her that I am bleeding, so she booked me for Edmonton appointment. I came all the way to Edmonton and the receptionist tells me that I dont have an appointment and need to be rescheduled. I explained what happened with Edson and I told receptionist that Paula booked my appointment, it did not matter, I got rescheduled again. I came back 3 weeks later and finally saw Dr. Mayo, he is older man, had communication issues, it was difficult at times to communicate with him, his english is not very good. I met Paula at this appointment and she was the nurse, I asked her if she was the one who did my appointments and she said yes, I explained to her about my appointments and rude receptionist, she just shrugged her shoulders and didnt care. She told me that she was the nurse for Dr. Mayo and she gave me medical advise which was incorrect and different from what Dr. Mayo had told me and my husband. I had phoned the office back to speak to the nurse and I was told that Candace is the nurse and not Paula, this really worried me because of all the medical advise that Paula had given to me. I know for sure now that Paula is NOT a nurse, she is not license practical nurse, she is not registered nurse. She should NOT be working as a nurse, she should NOT be giving medical advise, also she should NOT be making false claims that she is a nurse. If she is lying about being a nurse, how can she be trusted. In my opinion it is unprofessional to make false claims and pretend to be someone who you are not. I just hope she is not going around pretending to be a doctor. This office is disorganized, unprofessional staff, difficult communicating with the doctor. I do not recommend this place, better to go to another clinic!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2651384].votes_count ]]

Submitted Dec. 12, 2014

I was refered to dr mayo by my midwife because I found out late in my pregnancy my baby was breech. I was referred to him because he is supposed to be 'midwife friendly and open to natural birth' but I just find him to be a regular clinical dr, not that warm or friendly. What I wanted was him to give me his opinion on whether I should have a cs or try and do it naturally. He would not give me his definitive opinion, just facts and I had to ask all the questions he wouldnt offer up anything only respond to my questions. Some women may like that but i wanted to know what he thought i should do, him being the expert. Anyway since giving birth i have seen him a few more times and he is not as cold so maybe he had an off day. My real issue is with the staff. I spoke to his nurse about whether I should have surgery while on my period and she treated me like an idiot. Just say yes you can still have surgery and leave it at that but no she had to go on and on and on. She was so bitchy about it, I called her on it and she totally denied she was being rude. Once I have my last apt with dr mayo I'm done with that place, the staff dont care about patients at al.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2650101].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 11, 2014

I had a vaginal historectomy and the surgery was great but my medicine wasnt working i tried to get a hold of the nurse to get something different and it was a thursday and she never call me till the next week by then i just took asprin. I think the doctor is great but the service afterwards sucks.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2648816].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 10, 2014

Really love Dr. Mayo. He really took his time with me to address all of my concerns.

HOWEVER. Staff is ridiculously slow at getting back to you. I waited for over 2 weeks for a nurse to call me back. Her voicemail says that she would respond within 2 business days. I called and called and was always left on hold for obscene amounts of time and never got through to the nurse.

Also, reception has no idea what they are talking about. Ever. Agree with those below. Not very good staff.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2647869].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 9, 2014

waste of time to goto this doctor, and as others have pointed out, receptionist is rude.
its better to go to another doctor where you are treated with professional staff and doctor also cares for your well being.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2641630].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 4, 2014

unprofessional staff, doctor is very quick to make decisions. I definitely dont recommend this doctor. His staff are incompetent, and the receptionist is so rude.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2640732].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 3, 2014

Dr Mayo is a phenomenal doctor he helped with my infertility, all throughout my pregnancy and my difficult delivery. When things got scary due to my complete placenta previa, this doctor saved my life. Thank you Dr Mayo .

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2636392].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 29, 2014

What a horrible experience with this clinic. I was scheduled to see Dr. Mayo, but when I showed up, it was a different doctor who saw me. It was a quick visit and none of my concerns were addressed. I had a follow up appointment with Dr. Mayo who I finally got to meet and he signed me up for surgery. I dealt with Paula who has given me medical advise on my medication and surgery, she also booked my surgery & appointment with the doctor. She called in the wrong prescription to the pharmacy who was worried due to my pregnancy, so I phoned the clinic and spoke to the reception who was extremely rude and told me that Paula is not a nurse and I should not be talking to her in regards to anything medical and I should talk to Candace only. For my surgery, Dr. Mayo was suppose to do it, but I found out later that my entire surgery was done by resident/student, Dr. Mayo was not even in room!! On top of everything, the receptionist (tall athletic lady) is extremely rude and disrespectful. I have never had such poor treatment before in my life. Receptionist to Paula to substitute doctor and Dr. Mayo himself are complete FAIL!!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2632672].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 25, 2014

Reception nurses are rude. I understand it's probably tough when dr mayo is running behind but having a few impatient moms doesn't mean the rest of us need to be treated like dirt or idiots.

I LOVE dr Mayo. He was incredibly helpful, answered all of my questions and I never felt rushed. I had a complicated pregnancy and he always tried to keep me well informed. The only reason I put up with his reception was because I think he is such an amazing OB. I even referred two of close friends to him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2613292].votes_count ]]