Dr. Michael J. Orris

Grad. Year: 2000

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 05/03/14    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.9 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 40 reviews. Dr. Michael J. Orris has an excellent overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Dr. Michael J. Orris
Bariatric / Weight Loss-related: obesity, weight loss, bariatric
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5681666
27/07/14 5 3 5 5 I have worked with Dr. DeBarros and Dr. Orris for over a year now. I like how they work together in helping me achieve my weight loss goals. I am down about 40 lbs. The process does have it's ups and downs. I'm going to have an endoscope for my first anniversary. They release the band and make sure everything is okay since I've been having a tough time keeping food down. I like how WLIA;s staff treats me. They answer all my questions and make sure I have a full understanding of how I'm making the most with my weight loss. I appreciate all the hard work they have put into me and my success.
RID: 5586041
28/06/14 5 5 5 5 Although I found my doctor via a friend referral I still took my time and did my research on my doc to ensure I did my due diligence. When I looked up my doctor I was incredibly impressed with the rave reviews. Now that I have had the surgery I can say there was absolutely no need to worry. I can easily say Dr. Orris was the best choice for me and I will suggest him to anyone of my friends and family that show any interest in having the surgery. I had a great experience from start to my current 3 weeks post op.
RID: 5582541
27/06/14 5 5 5 5 I had my first consultation and doctors and staff are fantastic.They explained all the procedures and we decided what was best for me.I would recommend the WLIA to everyone who wanted to make a difference in there life.  Respond
RID: 5511186
04/06/14 5 5 5 5 I had my first consultation and I'm very pleased with the doctors and the staff. The staff at WLIA were all very kind and considerate answering all of my preliminary questions. The woman in finance really helped by explaining what my insurance would cover and what my out of pocket costs will be. I love Mike, the nutritionist. He was very helpful in preparing me for what to expect. I would definitely recommend the Weight Loss Institute of Arizona to anyone who is considering weight loss surgery. They answered all of my questions and will do the same for you. This review is on behalf of T.V, WLIA client.
RID: 5489070
21/05/14 4 2 5 5 Dr. Orris is a very serious Dr. I really like him! He answers all questions and gets straight to the point. I am very glad he is my Dr. His nurse Rebecca is amazing! She has helped with so many things. She never has rushed us and is willing to go the extra mile for me. I am also grateful they have the Arrowhead Office. It is so much closer for me. I may wait a bit for my appt, but the care I have received is worth it!
RID: 5473033
12/05/14 5 5 5 5 Dr. Orris is great WLIA is a wonderful place they are helpful and go thought everything with you. You have support the entire journey. I am looking foward to my left change.
RID: 5446026
05/05/14 5 5 5 5 I had my first Consultation with Dr. Orris and could not be more ready for this journey. The staff at WLIA has made this decision very easy to make. The finance people really help with budgeting and the nutritionist is very helpful in preparing me for what to expect. I would definitely recommend the Weight Loss Institute of Arizona to anyone who is considering weight loss surgery. They answered all of my questions thoroughly and will do the same for you. This review is on behalf of Erika Nicole Holbein, WLIA customer.
RID: 5406649
21/04/14 4 5 5 5 My entire life I struggled with obesity. I had low energy and was tinkering with the onset of diabetes and high blood pressure. I knew at the age of 22 that if I did not make a decision to change my life, I would forever be a prisoner to my weight. On March 13, 2008, I had the lap band surgery performed by Dr. Orris and Dr. Debarros. The day of my surgery I weighed 240 pounds. On the one year anniversary of my surgery, I weighed 140 pounds. I have since had a successful pregnancy. I eat in moderation and exercise daily. If it had not been for this surgery, I do not know if I could realistically have lost my weight. I am most grateful to the staff and doctors at WLIA. This by far was the best decision of my life!!  Respond
RID: 5328561
04/04/14 5 5 5 5 The staff was very knowledgeable and kind. I felt very taken care of. Everyone was friendly, prompt, and encouraging. If you want to feel the same way I did, I would visit WLIA in Tempe!  Respond
RID: 5288688
20/03/14 3 5 4 4 Dr Orris is very professional and thorough. He answered all my questions and was very friendly.  Respond
RID: 5285443
19/03/14 5 5 5 5 Dr. Orris is a great guy. He has the bedside manner and actually LISTENS! I would recommend him to everyone! He put me at ease when I was due to have a procedure. I had never been put under before and was a nervous wreck! He took the time to explain exactly what was going to happen and then came to check on me afterward to make sure I was okay with how everything went! A+++ Thanks for being wonderful!
RID: 5270916
17/03/14 5 4 5 5 I was hesitant to have weight loss surgery. I thought the process would be too difficult to complete but with the help of WLIA it was very simple. Dr. Orris and dietitian Mike were great at making sure I understood everything and that I would be successful with the lap-band. I highly recommend Weight Loss Institute of Arizona for anyone looking to have bariatric surgery.  Respond

11/03/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 4.3
RID: 5211017
25/02/14 5 5 5 5 I competed my consultation with Dr. Orris and his staff about a month ago. They were all so polite and very knowledgeable. They were able to answer all my questions and did so while talking with me, not at me. I actually enjoyed this visit and am looking forward to more.  Respond
RID: 5185867
16/02/14 5 5 5 5 I had my first consultation with Dr. Orris in 3 months ago so far he and his staff have been great and have answered all of my questions. Surgery Feb 26,2014
RID: 5183554
15/02/14 5 5 5 5 I CHOSE WLIA TO HAVE MY GASTRIC SLEEVE SURGERY...THE STAFF AT WLIA TEMPE LOCATION IS AMAZING THEY ALL HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL AND SUPPORTIVE THROUGH EVERY STEP OF THIS SOMEWHAT LONG PROCESS. MY LAST PREOP IS 2/18/2014 AND SRUGERY DATE IS SET FOR 3/14/2014... I AM CURRENTLY WAITING FOR THE FINAL APPROVAL FROM INSURANCE COMPANY. I AM VERY EXCITED FOR MY SURGERY AND WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND WLIA TO ANY ONE WHO IS LOOKING TO CHANGE THEIR LIFE FOR THE BETTER.
RID: 5169643
08/02/14 5 4 5 5 Dr. Orris is my Bariatric surgeon. He performed my LapBand surgery in December of 2010. He is an excellent surgeon. I have been very successful with my LapBand. I owe a lot of my success to the wonderful staff & support that I have received at WLIA. I would highly recommend him if you are considering weight loss surgery.
Insurance: Banner Health
RID: 5003759
06/02/14 5 5 5 5 Dr. Orris and the WLIA staff have been extremely helpful and supportive in my preparation for surgery. They are giving me the tools and knowledge I will need going forward to successfully achieve my weight loss goals. Would recommend Dr. Orris and WLIA to anyone.  Respond
RID: 4408539
29/01/14 5 5 5 5 great experience with entire team,thank you truly for helping change my life.
Paid (or co-pay): $900
Respond

20/11/13 SYSTEM: Specialty changed from "Surgeon (general)" to "Bariatric / Weight Loss"
RID: 3609497
19/11/13 4 4 4 5 Dr. Orris has been very understanding and helpful. I fully trust him and I am so excited to get Banded in 2 weeks!!!
RID: 2911321
14/10/13 5 4 4 5 The staff was great. Dr Orris spent as much time answering questions as i needed. He seemed to care very much about getting me healthy. The nutritionists we also fantastic. Always available.I highly recommend WLIA.
RID: 2848414
10/09/13 5 5 5 5 Review for Dr. Orris recommended, great knowledgeable helpful staff. looking forward to continued care.
RID: 2771856
16/08/13 5 5 5 5 I saw an advertisement for WLIA and felt it was time to consider this option. I was very impressed with the comprehensive program they offer, it's more than a surgery and you're on your own, there is a nutritionist, a consult with a Exercise Physiologist, monthly support group meeting, FB and online resources as well as a very friendly and supportive staff. I felt their financial options were very reasonable and over all I'm very impressed with WLIA. Dr. Orris was personable and answered questions without making me feel like he was in a rush. I felt well informed and in capable hands. After researching Dr. Orris' extensive experience in bariatric surgery and health issues with weight make me feel confident that I'm in the best hands possible.
RID: 2741420
30/07/13 5 5 5 5 staff has been awesome. very friendly and accommodating. cant wait for my next appointment
RID: 2706906
12/07/13 5 5 5 5 the staff was very helpful and knowledgeable with all my questions.
RID: 2704290
09/07/13 5 4 5 5 I had my first consultation with Dr. Orris in June. So far he and his staff have been great and have answered all of my questions.
RID: 2681496
17/06/13 4 4 4 4 I had my surgery in September 2012. Since my first appointment the staff has been very helpful and accommodating. Dr.Orris is very thorough and pleasant and I would recommend WLIA to family friends.
RID: 2678812
13/06/13 5 4 5 5 I saw Dr Orris at WLIA'S surgery center for an endoscopy prior to my weight loss surgery. He was very helpful explaining the procedure and also visited with me to go over his findings.The surgical staff was excellent.
RID: 2663989
28/05/13 5 5 5 5 Choosing to go to the Weight Loss Institute of Arizona was the best decision I Ever made. It totally changed my life. The doctors, Dr. Michael Orris and Dr. John DeBarros are absolutely wonderful. They are very sympathetic and understanding but also direct at the same time. They are with you and there for you throughout the entire process. When I first went in I was at my lowest point and they were very encouraging and made me fees hopeful even when I didn’t think I could do it. Making the decision to have the surgery was not easy and it was very scary but everyone there was very supportive. It was a long journey ant at times I didn’t think I would ever get there but they never had a doubt. Now 102 lbs later my life had done a complete 180. I am happy, confident and doing things that I never thought I would be doing. It is absolutely the best decision I have ever made for myself. Jo Ann O. Mesa AZ  Respond
RID: 2654485
22/05/13 5 5 5 5 I just made the switch to WLIA because of their hours of availability and close location to both my work and home. Some of the better qualities I have experienced so far include a clean facility, polite and humorous staff, short wating time to be seen, ample literature and resources, thoroughness in the insurance and billing department, follow up in a timely fashion and patience with all my questions and concerns. The doctor was polite, direct and has a great sense of humor! Kelly in the billing and insurance was awesome to work with! The only downfall is how busy they are. With so many people wanting to utilize their services, I'm relying on cancelations to be seen sooner :/
RID: 2653187
20/05/13 4 5 5 5 Dr Orris and his well chosen staff are uneaqualed in their attention to all my needs. I am very pleased with my 9 months of knowing them. My weight loss journey has given me confidence, happiness and true joy in life again. Other than the billing staffs abruptness (which probably comes from dealing with insurance and other peoples money all day), I have nothing but praise for this group of individuals.
Paid (or co-pay): $1800
RID: 2637325
01/05/13 5 5 5 5 I ranked them well because this was true. Dr. Debarros was very attentive and listened to all my concerns. I am very nervous and he was forthright with me. They went over all the steps with me and hsi staff was very helpful
RID: 2630095
28/04/13 5 5 5 5 Everyone at WLIA is so wonderful and I can not say enough great things about everyone from the office staff to Dr Orris. Each person I am so pleased with everyone and there quick respones to any questions or concerns I have had before my surgery and after. I recommend Dr Orris to anyone looking for help with starting thier new life to a healthier life! So far I am so pleased with my progess that I am happier and feel amazing! Thnkyou for your support !
Insurance: Banner Health
RID: 2620916
18/04/13 3 4 4 4 Overall the clinical staff is fantastic! Dr. Orris has been very good - I believe conservative with my band fills, but I respect his judgment. The nursing staff and dietician have been helpful and are very friendly. Yet, the billing staff when trying to get matters of insurance payments resolved was VERY challenged. I would recommend Dr. Orris and his clinical staff, but recognize working with his administrative staff and getting insurance in line will be a lesson in patience.
RID: 2600369
26/03/13 5 4 5 5 I realize not everyone will have the same experience, but I am truly grateful for Dr. Michael Orris. Since my surgery 6 weeks ago. I have already been taken off multiple diabetes medications down to one and I am being weaned off of it now. Not to mention my blood pressure has dramatically improved dropping the dose of medication I take for that as well. I actually feel ALIVE and can…Read more I realize not everyone will have the same experience, but I am truly grateful for Dr. Michael Orris. Since my surgery 6 weeks ago. I have already been taken off multiple diabetes medications down to one and I am being weaned off of it now. Not to mention my blood pressure has dramatically improved dropping the dose of medication I take for that as well. I actually feel ALIVE and can participate in life now. Jackie Thomas Lap Band Surgery 2/8/2013
RID: 2598351
24/03/13 5 5 5 5 I like Dr Orris, because he gave my life back to me. the staff was so good to me.They are always on time when I go to the office. They take there time with me, to tell me what I need to do.I think Dr.Orris is very knowledgable in weight loss and he did a Great Job. I would tell anyone who wants to have the surg to go and take to them.
RID: 2584649
13/03/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Orris and is staff are all helpful and kind. When I first went there I was at my highest weight of 194. I had given up on losing weight until my doctor referred me to Dr. Orris. Dr. Orris and his staff gave me hope from day one. I just recently had my surgery on 02/21/13 at the East Valley Surgery Center. My time there was made comfortable and reassuring as I was pretty nervous. I have not had any fills yet, my first one is in about 3 weeks. I am excited to see what my journey with Dr. Orris and his staff will bring. I would recommend him 100%.
RID: 2552342
06/02/13 5 5 5 5 I had my first consultation at The Weight Loss Institute of AZ (WLIA)..and anyone who has struggled with their weight knows it can be very stressful talking about it. I walked in and was immediately welcomed and felt comfortable. Their staff was so informative and answered all my questions. I was able to get all the required tests done during this visit and the medical staff was so supportive. The doctor met with me and asked questions and had me so excited to continue with this weight loss journey, something I hadn't felt in a very long time. Not one time during my consultation did I ever feel they were judging me, I truly felt they were my support team. The Doctors and staff at WLIA , I honestly believe will change my life!! It's very affordable and only wish I would have called sooner..
RID: 2496091
10/12/12 5 5 5 5 I had my lap band surgery on 8/5/11 by Dr. Orris.I have been very impressed by the quality of care I receive. From the time you walk thru the door till you leave, you are greeted by friendly staff who actually care about you and do everything they can to help you reach your weight goal. I found the surgery center to be a very clean, warm, and friendly environment. The staff quickly put at ease by joking with each other and me. Dr. Orris always listens to what I have to say and gives me as much time as I need to ask questions. I never feel rushed out of there. I have lost close to 100 lbs. I no longer have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and I am no longer borderline diabetic. Clothes shopping is fun again, and I have more energy and I feel great! Why did I wait so long to make the best decision of my life?
RID: 2489098
03/12/12 5 1 5 5 Most Doctors are slow or running behind when you visit their offices. Don't let that dissuade you. Take the time it takes to really do it right, and spend some time on YOU! Dr. Orris and his staff have NEVER made me feel like I am anything less than very special and important. They always listen, even to my most mundane wonderings, and they have literally been there for EVERY step. I cannot say that for every office or provider I get into a relationship with! I am very thankful to Dr. Orris and his staff!If you are looking for real change, then understand it will take REAL work, REAL time, and REAL money. Look in the mirror, accept those three things, and then go! Go spend the real money, take the real time, and get the REAL change you are looking for!
RID: 2473627
13/11/12 4 3 5 5 Dr. Orris is a fantastic surgeon. I work in the medical field and his bedside manner is the best. I "interviewed" several others before I chose my surgeon. His office staff was very helpful. Michael the dietician is always encouraging. The only part I did not like was the upfront cash and then when my insurance paid I was not given the money back it was Put toward any fills I would have but my fills are all covered. I was not pleased the way this was handled at all and did discuss this at length with my insurance provider but I guess that was my fault for being to "trusting" and I should have just let the insurance pay for what it did and worry about the cost later.
Paid (or co-pay): $15000