Dr. Terry L. Simpson

Grad. Year: 1986

Answers Email: Y
Online Appt. Scheduling: Y
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 04/09/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.1 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 23 reviews. Dr. Terry L. Simpson has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Surgeon (general)-related: microsurgery, general surgery, trauma surgery, transplant surgery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5572896
21/06/14 1 1 3 3 I had my surgery with Dr Simpson and love him as a Dr. When I met with Greg for my consultation he didn't seem to be to happy to be meeting with me at the time. He was in a hurry to get the consult over like he was on a schedule to get get the meeting done and made me feel like I was only a number to him. No real eye contact. Would love to come in for follow-up but after reading on Facebook that the office has moved to Scottsdale that is a long commute for me to make with my tight schedule, kids and kids activities. It was hard enough driving to 19th and Maryland... But with the way I was treated by office staff no one has probably even noticed that I haven't been in for a visit.. Cause to the staff everyone is just a number.. No one does anything to reach out unless Doc tells them to reach out to those who may have fallen off the band wagon!!  Respond
RID: 2891546
02/10/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Simpson and ALL of his staff are wonderful. Nice, polite, caring and always there to help me.  Respond
RID: 2771242
16/08/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Simpson, Jamie (surgical assistance), and entire staff Irma & Greg, have made and continue to make my whole experience nothing but pleasant. They have not treated me like a number or just another weight loss patient but with the abundance of TLC from day 1. They make themselves available to me 24/7. Dr. Simpson has retuned all my phones, when I needed him after hours. All my questions and concerns are immediately addressed. I truly appreciate you all and will forever be grateful. Surgery Date 12/14/11
RID: 2710590

16/07/13 1 1 1 1   Respond
RID: 2696095
27/06/13 1 1 2 2 I came in for a new patient consultation recently I waited for awhile before being called up to check in, then was given a stack of paperwork to complete. Waited an additional 15 minutes before being called back. The staff was not polite the man that did my weigh in was unprofessional and then I was placed in another room where I continued to sit and wait to be seen. Another man came in and went over more paperwork with me, he didn't make a lot of eye contact with me while he was there. Then when he finished I waited an additional 10/15 minutes to see the Dr. No one told me that it would be such a long appointment. Was not pleased with the experience I had at Dr. Simpsons office.
See Responses

02/12/12 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 2484795
28/11/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Terry Simpson is not only a skilled surgeon, but he works hard to share information that is meant to help patients succeed on their weight loss journey. He will often say, the lapband is just a tool. It's true, and for the weight loss to happen, patients have to change their lifestyle. I appreciate how he shares recipes, offers support group, and has follow up care available. I didn't feel like a number, I felt like my success was important to both the doctor, and his staff.  See Responses
RID: 2474022
14/11/12 1 1 3 5 Dr. Simpson is a very nice guy he has a lot of knowledge...The bad part of having surgery with Dr. Simpson is the fact that they don't explain to you that the surgical assistant is also his practice manager... His office manager is rude and always talks bad about other patients and staff members. So u never know if it is just him or is it the whole staff there. I am looking for a new Dr don't like rudeness from office staff.  See Responses
RID: 2145206
16/05/12 4 2 3 4 Initionaly going to this dr was fine but after awhile I would sit in waiting room for appr. 45 min past appt. time. Then sit in exam ram for another 15 to 20 min. When dr arrived he would spend less then 5 min with me and I felt like I was being rushed off.
Paid (or co-pay): $2500
See Responses

08/04/12 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Terry" to "Terry L."
RID: 1786987
23/03/12 5 5 5 5 I researched doctors to make sure that I had the best doctor that money can buy. I chose Dr. Simpson because not only was he the most recognized lap band doctor in Arizona, he is the most experienced, and he also does the single incision surgery. I believe that I have made the right choice. I am ever grateful for Dr. Simpson’s guidance and patience, and I really appreciate all of Dr. Simpson’s instruction and compassion. His online resources are amazing and his dedication to his practice is astounding. When I needed an emergency unfill on a weekend, I emailed Dr. Simpson in the middle of the night and he responded within hours.He stated that he would meet me in his office the next afternoon(Sunday). He was not upset about having to work on a weekend, he was more worried about me and my situation. I would recommend him to anyone and certainly do not regret my decision. Thank you Dr. Simpson!!!  Respond
RID: 1728521
04/03/12 5 5 5 5 I became a Patient of Doctor Simpsons at 17 Years Old I am now 22. He's truly been there for me through tough times & great times. He's supported me through everything there's been a lot of times I've felt discouraged & that I couldn't do it & Doctor Simpson talked me throughout & told me I go to do it & I am now back on track thanks to him he's truly amazing Doctor Simpson is the best Dr in the State of Arizona I don't know what I'd do without Dr Simpson if it weren't for Him I'd probably still be gaining Weight Dr Simpson keep up the AMAZING work your Wonderful thank you so very much for everything you have done- Ashley Dunning (Schmidt)
Paid (or co-pay): $16500
RID: 1674392
02/01/12 5 5 5 5 Amazing! Would do it again in a heartbeat with Dr. Simpson!!
Paid (or co-pay): $25000
RID: 1660419
13/12/11 5 5 5 5 Great bedside manner. Very knowledgable and helpful. Easy to contact. Made reasonable suggestions for aftercare. Overall great experience with great results 65 lbs gone 10 to go.
Paid (or co-pay): $13500
RID: 1568345
23/10/11 5 5 5 5 Can't say enough nice things about Dr Simpson and his staff. After the surgery Dr. Simpson was available when I had questions. He's done more lapband surgeries than any surgeon in Arizona, and that was important to me.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 1562956
17/10/11 5 5 5 5 Staff is very helpful and friendly. I found Dr. Simpson to be very knowledgeable and straight forward. He is accessible to patients when you have a question, and the after care support is phenomenal. Clearly he cares about patients and helping people discover a healthier lifestyle.  Respond

27/09/10 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1156588
25/04/10 5 5 5 5 Saved my life when other surgeons wouldn't take the time to look at all the options. I am still here with my wife and 2 young children because of his good work. I highly recommend Dr. Simpson.
RID: 1149010
14/04/10 5 5 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. Simpson's for almost 3 years now. He has always been there when I needed him, even met me at the office on a Saturday!! He is compassionate, knowledgeable and overall wants the best for his patients. I am almost 3 years post op, with 100 pounds lost and kept off. I put my life in his hands and he saved me. I would recommend him without hesitation, and his staff is absolutely wonderful. They take the time to talk to you and get to know you as a person and not just a chart. I know I can reach Dr. Simpson any time of the day or night on his Blackberry...what Dr. does that in this day and age?? He has always responded to me, and always reassured me and taken care of me. I could not ask for a better surgeon. He holds you accountable for your success, that is exactly what I need, not someone who will take my excuses, and allow me to fail! I am a success because I have a great doctor!  Respond
RID: 1147936
12/04/10 5 5 5 5 Dr Simpson is truly the most amazing surgeon ! He is the only doctor I have ever had that allows his patients constant contact with he 24 hours a day no matter what time he is always there for his patients. Thanks Dr Simpson for being there for your patients i am GRATEFUL that you are always available for even my silliest questions that i have.
RID: 1143141
05/04/10 5 4 4 5 Abrupt mannerisms, knoweledgeable. Doesn't seem to like what he does. Has much experience
Insurance: Aetna
Respond

03/07/09 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 776074
29/01/09 5 4 4 5 Dr Simpson is a good guy overall. He can be very helpful, and when I had an issue previously, on the weekend on his vacation he called me. Great guy to deal with overall. The only negative I have is MAN does he have an ego. I wish he'd keep it more in check. But even with the ego he's still a nice guy. Just a nice guy with a big head :)
Paid (or co-pay): $16500
RID: 754520
03/01/09 5 5 5 5 I am a nursing professional who has assisted Dr. Simpson in numerous operations. After witnessing his professionalism and attention to detail with his surgeries, as well as assisting other surgeons, I decided to have a lap band. I'm so pleased! 61 lbs later, I feel great! My family and friends say I look great! I went from size 18 to size 4! Dr. Simpson has authored several books on lap band surgery that are very informative and his expertise in the lap band surgery is well known throughout the medical circlese in Arizona and beyond. Watching firsthand his dedication and passion for the medical profession as he volunteers significant time to help those less fortunate has inspired me to give back also and give me the passion for life to make the most of my talents and keep my life moving in a positive direction. I just have too much energy now to focus on those negative things that used to hold me back in life!
Paid (or co-pay): $16000
RID: 750274
27/12/08 5 5 5 5 I have had several surgeries done by Dr. Simpson. He is one of the most caring, down to earth physicians I have ever known, and as an ICU nurse I have known more than my share of toads. He is totally non-judgemental, treats obesity as a disease and not just a personality trait, and actually has a rare, unknown to most surgeons, sense of humor. His bedside manner is impeccable, and his office staff are wonderful. We have been through many different things together, and I havbe never once questioned his skills, knowledge or judgement. He is indeed a fine surgeon, but even better than that, he is a truly nice man.
RID: 678698

03/09/08 1 1 1 1 This man is unfriendly, unhelpful, and provides little to NO guidance. His meaning of support are his PODCASTS however, he fails to think of all those patients who are without internet services because of financial distress or those who do not know how to use the computer. When one states she cant access the net, he tells her SHE'S the problem and that he cant help any other way until she accesses the net. That is only one example or how this doctor is. And yes, he is super expensive with very little support. I saw him about 3 seconds before the anesthesia and then again 8 weeks after my surgery for my first follow up. What doctor/surgeon does THAT?! Oh well, he has my money now so thats all that matters.. and he knows it and practices it. I also need a new doctor!  See Responses
RID: 675250

28/08/08 1 1 1 1 The staff claims they all have had "weight loss" surgery making others think they have had the lap band surgery however not all staff members have had lap band; instead, they have had other types of weight loss surgery. BEWARE: they make you believe you can lose the weight like they have by making you believe the weight loss they have had is what you are seeking through Dr. Simpson. This is not the case. ASK QUESTIONS! In the past few years, Dr. Simpson has overbooked his daily schedule and is an average of an hour late for his appointments. Be prepared to sit in a packed Waiting Room sitting with patients who are obviously uncomfortable seeing people they know from work or the neighborhood. When Dr. Simpson does see you, he is too busy for questions, and talks down at you about how much he knows about weight loss. When questions are asked, he refers you to staff members to get answers. Also, immediately after surgery, never expect to see Dr. Simpson around. I need a new DR!
Paid (or co-pay): $6000