Dr. Thomas L. Toth

Grad. Year: 1986

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 3.7 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 22 reviews. Dr. Thomas L. Toth has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Reproductive Endocrinologist-related: infertility, fertility, reproductive endocrinology, in vitro fertilization, fertilisation
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5587424
29/06/14 5 1 2 4 The staff were super friendly and informative. They made me hopeful about this visit. I've read some reviews and heard that MGH will not take patients that they think will lower their statistics in any way. They are extremely conservative. This proved true in my visit. However, instead of being direct with me I got a lot of stories from Dr. Toth that didn't make sense. I think he was counting on me not knowing any better. Dr. Toth is a nice man and I have no doubt in his knowledge and ability as a doctor. However, I would want someone who would be up front and truthful with me from the start. Unfortunately the visit ended on a bad note, which I was surprised at given his initial professionalism. If you aren't the perfect profile for them, I'd save the heartbreak and find another doctor.  Respond
RID: 1665759
20/12/11 4 5 5 5 My husband and I found Dr. Toth to be a great fit for us. He was compassionate, gentle, and kind during an incredibly difficult and heartbreaking time in our lives & marriage. I felt he understood the complexity and pain of the choices we were making. I think his intelligence that can be misconstrued as arrogance, but I always found him to be humble. He realizes that he is only a doctor and not all-powerful. I am a cancer nurse and know all too well how limited medicine is! Every baby he helps concieve is a miracle and he knows it. Not only did he call when we found out I was pregnant, he also sent a hand-written letter. Another example- I went to visit him after my 6 week post-partum visit, unexpectedly, & he took time from his busy day to meet my babies. I thought he might cry, he looked so happy! He then said how much it meant to him. It was clear he'd had bad news to deliver that day. How can you not appreciate that kind of compassion in a doctor??? He is great.
RID: 1419905
19/04/11 5 5 5 5 I met with Dr. Toth a lot during my 1.5 years with MGH from '09-'10. I found Dr. Toth to be excellent, competent, professional and sweet. I do not believe the comment about the stats being rigged, I was 40 and at least 20 pounds overweight and he took me on. My chances dwindled during the time that I was there, and I had 2 pregnancy failures. But Dr. Toth stuck by me and gave me a 3rd IVF and I hit a homerun! I have thanked him over and over but he credits me for making it happen. He is a very sweet and humble person and understands where we women are coming from. So please don't pay any mind to the negative comments, I was there long enough to see him in action and be in his presence to confidently say that he is very sensitive and incredibly bright. Maybe this is why he is somewhat misunderstood. My husband and I had a very positive relationship with Dr. Toth and I can't say enough good things about him and his wonderful staff. They have a great team at MGH. :)
Insurance: Harvard-Pilgrim
RID: 1411668
10/04/11 3 3 1 3 MGH success rates are rigged. They only take/keep the patients with higher chances already. It has little to do with them.Other places like Boston IVF take even more difficult patients so MGH actually has lower effective success rates since they don't take more difficult cases. BY the way, I had a baby through another fertlity center but had no success with them.
RID: 1355693
05/02/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Toth was wonderful in my long process of fertility (now pregnant with twin girls!). He and his staff were top notch. He was clinical explaining all his thoughts as we changed through the treatment. He was very professional, empathetic, caring and understood my needs and changed them along the way during the tough part when we just couldn't figure out why it still wasn't working. Though he had to work within the parameters of our healthcare, he was more than I could have asked for. I would recommend him and especially his nurse Julie Gold to anyone. They are even just great people. Dr. Toth made me and my husband laugh with his hysterical analogies...baseball ones are his favorite. haha.
RID: 1321511
26/12/10 5 5 5 5 My husband and I recently met with Dr. Toth and it was a very positive experience. I am very surprised with the reviews I have read, not my experience in any way, If he seems arrogant, I think it is simply he is super smart. He did not sugar coat anything and he was a salesman but also founded one of the most highly rated IVF centers in the area, so there is no question he is one of the best! He was extremely nice and professional and I was extremely comfortable as was my husband. i look forward to working with him and his team.
RID: 1316053
16/12/10 2 5 1 3 My husband and I were exceedingly disappointed with Dr. Toth. We expected highly professional and skilled treatment from MGH. But instead, we were dismissed before it seems we walked in the door. From what I have heard, MGH cares more about their stats than for helping challenging cases. Dr. Toth acted in a salesmanlike but also condescending manner. My husband and I are educated people but we got very little feedback from Dr. Toth. It was like pulling teeth to get him to speak about how he came to his conclusions. We had to figure out what tests we needed and push for them. Very strange experience. His staff is very kind but there is no reaching out and providing information. There should be handouts of commonly asked questions and such. I would not recommend Dr. Toth or MGH.
RID: 1269796
12/10/10 3 5 5 5 Dr. Toth is a pro. We did 2 rounds of IVF with him and 1 was successful. He personally called to congratulate us for the pregnancy. He is ultra smart and prepares you for every scenario, good and bad. He explains everything simply and while this could be construed as condescending it is what you need. Some of his staff are not as responsive to calls as they should be waiting 2-3 days to return a call which can negatively impact your experience (and presumably your results).
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 1203311
07/07/10 5 2 5 5 I'm shocked that people would think Dr. Toth is unfriendly... My husband and I find him almost too nice. He always seems sincere and always willing to listen which I think makes him run over in his appointments. We have had one successful pregnancy through IVF with Dr. Toth and are about to start another cycle in hopes for a second. At the end of the day he knows his stuff and has great success rates!
RID: 1064626
28/12/09 5 5 5 5 I found Dr. Toth and his staff to be very friendly, extrememly realistic, and not afraid to give someone bad news if necessary. And if you are dong fertility treatments, you need to be prepared for bad news! It goes without saying that Dr. Toth is at the top of his field. He does not mince words, which I think is often misinterpreted by others as being "unfriendly." All this coming from a 41 year old, who after 2 unsuccessful IVF attempts was told by Dr. Toth that my eggs were too compromised to try again. He did not want me to go through another round knowing that my chances of conceiving were basically zero. We are now happily considering adoption, and Dr. Toth helped get us to this point, and I am grateful to him. To us, this was not giving up, but moving forward.
Insurance: Unicare
RID: 914505
16/06/09 2 2 5 5 He might not be the most charming person but he knows his stuff and got the job done. My husband and I were giving up hope of ever conceiving a child. Dr. Toth took our case and now we're expecting twins. At the end of the day what mattered most to us was having a competent doctor not necessarily the friendliest. Knowledge and expertise should come first and Dr. Toth did not let us down. He delivered in every aspect and we would highly recommend him and his team at MGH to anyone suffering from infertility.  Respond
RID: 802862
28/02/09 4 2 1 1 I have never been so disappointed in a doctor. T. Toth is arrogant, disrespectful, insincere and shows difficulty in controlling his temper. He never once offered or suggested ANY treatments- simply told us to let him know what we would like???? Is this a health professional? On our last visit, at his staffs urging, we told him we were disappointed with his lack of medical guidance. To this I have never encountered such a neurotic reaction from ANY professional. The man buttoned and unbuttoned his jacket a dozen times, left the room 3x for water in a 30 min period and was chocking on his words. He then called in 3 additional staff members, of which only 1 joined the discussion and wavered between silence and smug comments. All of this and wrapped up by offering 'to reassign us', to which, I responded- 'when the going gets tough, the doctor leaves the patient?'. And this from the Department Head of MGH fertility clinic....Shame on you Thomas Toth! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS DR!!
RID: 728225
23/11/08 1 3 1 2 We were really put off by Dr. Toth. Although softspoken and compassionate in tone, on our first visit, he didn't listen to us at all, talked past our questions and was condascending. He came across as salesman-like and insecure and defensive at being asked questions. It was clear he hadn't reviewed our case at all and seemed impatient. By contrast, we had a far better experience at the Brigham.
Insurance: Harvard-Pilgrim
RID: 665989
16/08/08 5 5 5 5 My husband and I love Dr. Toth. I am also suprised by the negative comments about him. He is very supportive, an absoulute professional and at the top of his field. We had been to another Dr. before him through Woman and Infants in RI and didn't follow through becuase we did not feel confident with that Dr. We had the utmost confidence in Dr. Toth, 1 IVF resulted in our beautiful baby girl! We have written him letters and he responds back with hand written letters to us, what Dr. does that in this day and age? When we decide to have another baby, there is no doubt of who we will be going to, Dr. Toth. Please do not let the negative comments discourage you from seeing him!
Insurance: Unicare
RID: 654316
01/08/08 4 4 5 5 I am surprised by the above ratings and comments because I have found him to be extremely helpful and knowledgable. He has brought me comfort and hope and he has never given up on me even when I responder poorly to the stims and had to cancel my IVF. When I received a positive he called me personally to congratulate both my husband and I. When I miscarried at 13 weeks he called and offered his support in getting through such a horrible time in my life. He truly has a genuine bedside manner and I would not consider going to any other RE at all.
RID: 622927
24/06/08 2 1 1 3 I was very dissapointed at this doctor. He is very arrogant. He does not listen to my questions. Like many others said, he is very obviously annoyed when you ask questions. He was never on time. I have to wait close to an hour to talk to him for less than 5 minutes.  Respond
RID: 536473
12/03/08 1 5 1 3 Dr. Toth was a huge disappointment. Condescending, insincere and insensitive.  Respond
RID: 182214
10/03/07 5 4 5 Personally - we liked him. Two IVF's = 2 kids. What more can you ask for? He's honest to a fault and brilliant. I would go back to that office again if need be.
Paid (or co-pay): $200
RID: 57182
19/11/06 5 4 4 As with many dr's, he was rushed most of the time and appeared really annoyed at too many questions, but, we got pregnant on the first IVF try with him as our dr.
RID: 16106
30/11/05 3 1 3 Dr. told me that I was too old (40) to get pregnant even through the use of IVF and recommended that I not bother with it. I changed drs. and got pregnant with one try, using IVF. He did not appear interested in helping me and seemed to make his judgement based on age alone. My new doctor said he thought my chances of getting pregnant were very good and he was, obviously, correct.
See Responses
RID: 15809
29/11/05 4 5 5 I found Dr. Toth terrifically helpful, reassuring, logical. I would go to him again!
RID: 418
01/06/04 3 1 3 Disrespectful toward patients. Visibly annoyed when asked questions.  Respond
* - Rating left by a registered user