Rate Dr. Joseph P. Hicks

Dr. Joseph P. Hicks's Ratings

There are better doctors out there. He seems all about getting people in and out as quickly as he can. I'll never go back.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2547514].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 23, 2014

We were recommended to this doctor for my son. He has been having pain before and after he urinates. The waiting room time was about 30 min. Once we got to a room, it was about 5 mins. wait on Dr. Hicks. He rushed in , introduced himself. , hushed through his and my questions., put my son up on table , examined his bottom for a couple of seconds and then left room for a few mins. Came back in and told me that he didn't see anything wrong and that he wanted to see him for a followup in 6 months even though I told him that my son's pain was so bad that he was in tears , Dr. told me that it was just "New sensation for little boys" , and rushed my son and I out. That was a wasted trip,, I will be looking for different doctor,, a mother knows her child and when there is something not right. So i do not recommend this doctor to parents.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2535345].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 13, 2014

Excellent care and service. My father likes Dr. Hicks and his staff. On his last visit he was very pleased/happy with 'Lucy'! If all doctors and doctor's staff were as cooperative, efficient and courteous, no one would dislike visiting doctors.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1862941].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 19, 2014

Our son was diagnosed before birth so Dr Hicks has been with us since day 1. We knew going in surgery was our only option, but Dr Hicks was more than willing to answer our questions and address our concerns. When we mentioned getting 2nd/3rd opinions Dr Hicks encouraged us to do so. He made sure we were comfortable with any treatment he recommended. Never did he push us into any decision and he was more than patient as we thought through our options. After visiting Vanderbilt and Children's (Birmingham) Dr Hicks was by far the best physician we met with, showing professionalism, knowledge and compassion for our son. Wait times at any medical setting are to be expected, impatient people need not rate any physician because you do not get an accurate review. As far as office staff, both locations were easy to work with. We have since recommended family to Dr Hicks who also have only great things to say about Dr Hicks and staff. Plus you get suckers at every visit!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1862940].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 17, 2014

Long wait times in office past time of appointment. Then rushes you in and out. Son needed reconstructive surgery, barely opened diaper, closed diaper and rushed us out to set up surgery. No time to get answers to questions, no explanation of procedure. As others posted he is supposed to be pediatric specialist but shows no regard for kids. Actually seems irritated by them and disregards concerns of parents. Unfortunately only pediatric urologist in huntsville.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1862939].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 8, 2013

Actually, Dr. Hicks sees both my son and I for different things. He was so good with my special needs son, that when I needed a urologist I requested Dr. Hicks. Outstanding decision on my part. He took the time needed, explained and reviewed the options, and treated me like a human being! I'd like to send my other specialists to him to see how patient care should be handled!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1862938].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 18, 2012

How Dr. Hicks would get anything lower than a 5 is beyond me.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1862937].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 16, 2012

We discovered Jack had severe ureter blockage which caused large pockets of urine to collect in kidneys due to renal reflux during last ultrasound while still pregnant. Dr. Hicks was in NICU to evaluate Jack after delivery and performed corrective surgery @ 3 days old. Dr. Hicks has been there every step of the way, giving us all the information we needed or asked for. Jack is 2 now with NO lasting effects! Dr. Hicks and staff have been very thorough and supportive. They seem to genuinely care about their patients. We have one last test in 3 months and then Jack is pronounced clear! We have had a lot of contact with the medical community as a whole. Dr. Hicks stands out as exceptional! I would recommend him in the strongest terms.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1862936].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 21, 2011

He is very helpful and answers my questions so I can understand them clearly. I have full confidence in his ability to treat me correctly.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1862935].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 21, 2011

I first met Dr. Hicks in 2008 when I was 24 years old. After visiting several different doctors and, in particular, urology specialists at private practice clinics in Birmingham, I was still left without a definitive diagnosis. My main complaint was not being able to void urine completely and having chronic constipation. After paying thousands of dollars to Urology specialist in Birmingham, I found Dr. Hicks. He was my father's physician and my father told me about how pleasant and astute of a physician he was so I decided to go see him. I was very impressed with Dr. Hick's demeanor and bedside manner. More importantly, I was impressed by his thought process and ability to explain what he thought might be causing my problems. He ordered an MRI the very same day (the only and most important test that the physicans in Birmingham did not consider). The MRI proved that I had a spinal tumor, and by providing me a diagnosis, Dr. Hick's had saved me from further nerve damage.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1862934].votes_count ]]