Rate Dr. H. Gooi

Dr. H. Gooi's Ratings

I have been a patient of Dr. Gooi's for decades. He was a good doctor in the early years, but he has now jumped on the profit bandwagon and the level of care/accessibility reflects that. He is rude, dismissive, and has no interest in listening to a description of concerns. To book a physical exam with him now takes a year in advance. To book a simple appointment with him as I just found out today will take until March 2015. His staff are no better.

Submitted Aug. 11, 2014 | flag

I have never managed to get in to see him within 20 minutes of my appointment time - and it is usually much later than that. This morning I had the first appointment of the morning, 8:00AM. Knowing how the clinic works, I got there at 7:30 and lined up outside in the cold, so I was the first one in line to see a doctor. Got into an exam room at 8:05, and didn't actually see Gooi until 8:35. At 8:30 I poked my head out the door of the room and asked why he was late, and was rudely told "He will get to you when he gets to you". Now to find a new doctor.

Submitted Oct. 23, 2013 | flag

Was actually a patient of another doctor at this clinic who i didn't like and a week after i gave birth to my daughter i was having trouble breathing and was wheezing really bad, i figured it was just my asthma so went to the walk in clinic to get a new inhaler and as dr. gooi always does he asked more questions instead of looking at the obvious, didn't like what he heard so he sent me directly back to a hospital with a note to get me in fast, lucky he did as i had fluid in my lungs due to a rare postpartum heart condition. Saved my life!!! Not only that, he was kind enough to take my husband and I as regular patients as my husband did not have a family doctor. A++ doctor.

Submitted March 4, 2011 | flag

Dr. Gooi was a friendly doctor, who always makes time, and has a great manner about him. He may not be the most knowledgeable, but he always follows up on questions or concerns. He helped detect my wifes cancer early and possibly saved her life. My family will continue to see Dr. Gooi until he retires.

Submitted Nov. 2, 2010 | flag

Been our families doc for years and our childrens for years as well. I have finally found a new doctor for my family. I sure can say the experience, manner and knowledge of my new doctor is miles ahead of Dr. Gooi. You probably get sick just waiting in that run down westwood clinic or sitting on those stairs, very unacceptable. If you want to become addicted to painkillers and take the wrong medicine, he is your man. He is a good person who has lost his ways of compassion and practicing good medicine. I would have liked to continue to see him, but it was wise to make the switch and sure glad I did.

Submitted July 8, 2008 | flag

My family has seen Dr. Gooi for many years.. .my grandparents found him to be a very knowledgable and kind man, however, if you are under the age of 50 he seems to think that everything is a lactose intolerance problem or a thyroid problem, neither of which require any treatment but to 'avoid cheese'. I had had several medical problems for which I had asked for referrals and received none, which have since been diagnosed & treated by another doctor. If you want a quick sick note or prescription refill, he's great. Any more complicated matters, perhaps you'd do better with another physician.

Submitted July 3, 2008 | flag

I have been a patient of Dr. Gooi's for 20 years and have found him to be very kind, helpful, considerate, and a good listener. He does not hestitate to send me to a specialist, if needed.He was extremely compassionate when my parents passed away. I wouldn't think of going to anyone else. Now, if they could just repaint that terrible colour in the waiting room!!!

Submitted Feb. 27, 2008 | flag

Are all of you people who give this guy the same rating as me seeing the same DR Gooi. He was abrasive and dismissive. My regular doctor was on extended sick leave, so I saw Dr Gooi to get the results of an abdominal ultrasound. He said that I should get my gallbladder out. When I started asking him questions (as he was trying to walk out the door), he told me that he wasn't my doctor and "was just filling in". Thanks DR GOOI - tell me I need surgery, but refuse to answer my questions. Meanwhile my regular doctor is on extended sick leave. Don't you have any professional ethics. You are paid to provide a service. If this were privatized health care, you would not have much of a patient base with your cavalier attitude. I have since found better doctors at the Lakewood medical clinic. It is a half hour drive, but is worth it. The westwood clinic is a dingy, run down building. Only Dr. Sellagy is worth seeing if you are there for walk in.

Submitted Nov. 30, 2007 | flag

My husband and I have a deep respect for Dr. Gooi. He is knowledgeable and respectful in his manner. We love his sense of humour because laughter is truly the best medicine,and yet he doesn't minimize or downgrade our health concerns. He has been our doctor for over 18 years and is a gem. I like a doctor that says he doesn't know if he doesn't and he always finds out. The staff work very hard but we can tell there is a fair amount of tension. In years past, Dr. Gooi was always running 1/2 hr to 1 hr. behind on his appointments but he has made significant improvements in this past year. Now we have to be on time! You are a blessing in our lives Dr. Gooi and I would never trust any other doctor with something as precious as our health and well being! Thank you.

Submitted Nov. 30, 2007 | flag

Great for handing out pills, but not great at finding out why I was needing them. Unfortunately, still dealing with the pain, but since switching doctors, I know more of what the cause is. Left my sickleave paperwork so long, 3 or 4 app'ts scheduled to pick it up...he was going on holidays, still no paperwork. I was threatened that if I didn't get the papers in 2 days I would have to be let go. My then husband had to threaten him. Finally...I got the forms grudgingly, and with a bill that he stated he wasn't going to apply.....not a good experience.

Submitted Nov. 28, 2007 | flag