Rate Dr. David Rootman

Dr. David Rootman's Ratings

I liked Dr. Rootman very much and would recommend him but not his clinic because you see him for 2 minutes & the rest of the time deal with others. The desk staff were indifferent. The optometrists were very nice but saw 3 different optometrists during the course of my treatment and they gave different advice! The fellows are terribly rude and ignorant. I couldn't see well and had dry eyes after PRK and one fellow told me it was "all in my head". Another fellow made me feel like it was my fault!They minimized the success rates (diff. stats from diff. doctors at the same clinic!), recovery time (much longer than they said!) and the risks of dry eyes - I ended up needing punctal plugs, restasis, and now a yr later still have dry eyes and need glasses. They will give me a free touch up but after months of recovery, lots of $ on restasis eye drops, and plugs, missed work, waking up with dry eyes, and rude fellows I don't want to go through that ever again!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2455879].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 26, 2014

DR.Rootman saved my sight I am so grateful. The Dr. before had no idea what was wrong with me and wasn't even going to help me he was just going to let me go blind in my 20's. My sister told me to call back and make a fuss. Thank god I did and her referred me to Dr. Rootman. Now I have the best sight ever. I was so scared. I know some people complain on here but you should be grateful. He puts in long hours training new grads and going around to other countries to train other dr.'s in the world so we can have a better quality of life. He dedicates his whole life to improving people with rare vision problems like me to have the best chance on having a great life. Be thankful. to him and to the families and those who have given you there cornea's for a second chance at life. Thank you. Dr. Rootman and those who dedicate there lives to make others better.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1869554].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 25, 2014

Been seeing him since I was an infant and had a double corneal transplant at Sick Kids. Now see him every few years at Toronto Western and he's the best of the best for corneas. My vision is as close to normal as someone with my condition can have 20+ years later and my family and I owe so much to him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1869553].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 28, 2013

I had ICL surgery with Dr. Rootman in July of 2013 and he and his staff are first class all the way. The consultation was extremely thorough and there were no pressure at all. He and the staff at YELC explained everything so that I can make the best decision for my eyes. Dr. Rootman is very reassuring and patient. The evening after the surgery, he called me at home to make sure that I was ok. Susan, their office manager was extremely understanding, compassionate, and accommodating. I will highly recommend Dr. Rootman and YELC.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1869552].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 4, 2013

Horrendous experience for mid-20s female patient with Keratoconus. Corneal cross-linking FAILED and she never saw the surgeon (Rootman) again, only "associates." No continuity of care, complete waste of time and money. Now on an urgent corneal transplant list. This is a revolving door money making setup. Strongly recommend going elsewhere if you're seeking humanity over money.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1869551].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 16, 2013

Been his patient since I was at Sick Kids (Many Years! lol). GREAT Dr! A little scatter-brained at times but only cuz he's so busy. Always takes the time to answer my questions and I can always count on him to figure out what others can't. I have reasonable eyesight instead of none cuz of what only he could accomplish. I feel a lot of the complaints on here are people who did not do the research you should as a responsible person before they went to the clinic, however there's no excuse for rudeness and unanswered questions, although I know that's not how Dr. R does things. Highly recommend him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1869550].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 29, 2013

I have been a patient of Dr.Rootman for the last 18 years. He is amazing at what he does and is very patient and answer all my questions. He is amazing.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1869549].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 29, 2012

Dr. Rootman did cornea transplant for my son. He was very polite and patient and answered all our questions. He is an awesome surgeon. However we never saw him again as some other Drs or students do a follow up which is disappointing. He should see his patients if not everytime, then at least once in a while.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1869548].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 4, 2012

I had PRK by Dr. Rootman. I met him for about two seconds before my surgery - other than than I was in the hands of the Yonge Eglinton Laser Centre of which he's the director. I didn't meet Dr. R until a few minutes before he zapped my eyes: I only met with an optometrist who told me there was little risk of dry eyes and a 2-3% chance of needing a "touch-up" and he also told me I'd be healed in five days. Well, I had dry eyes, poor vision and terrible pain after which they only then told me was normal!! Six months later (poor vision, halos, dry eyes) was told that I had a high-risk Rx for a touchup. None of this was explained beforehand. I never saw Dr. Rootman again - just a series of optometrists (all professional) and one very rude fellow and cranky receptionists. They're punctual and he may be a good surgeon but it's a pure business - they sign you up and tell you the bad later. My complaint is about educating patients about the real risks. Now I happily wear glasses.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1869547].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 27, 2012

I cannot ask for a better doctor and I would only see another ophthalmologist when he retires.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1869546].votes_count ]]