Dr. Fred F. Shahan

Foreign Lang: Spanish

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.9 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 23 reviews. Dr. Fred F. Shahan has an excellent overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Dr. Fred F. Shahan
Dermatologist-related: skin disease, warts, acne, rash, dermatitis, skin tumors, moles, skin cancer, psoriasis
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

26/07/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 3.2
RID: 3629895
11/12/13 5 5 5 5 I was so happy with the treatment I received on my first visit. I was referred by my plastic surgeon because Dr. Shahan is a dermatologic surgeon experienced in Mohs surgery, a microscopic technique for skin problems. First, I was shown into the exam room on time. The medical assistant, Yvette, must have asked my permission twenty times making sure I understood exactly what to expect and patiently answering every question I could think up. Next the physician's assistant, Burna, examined me literally from head to toe. I don't know who asked more questions, her or me, but they were all answered. Dr. Shahan reexamined me double checking Burna's observations and removed lab specimens from two areas. During my visit the whole staff seemed dedicated to keeping me completely informed and absolutely comfortable. A week later the surgery took less time than my first office visit. Yesterday was my post surgery follow-up visit. I could see no evidence that the surgery ever happened.
Insurance: Medicare
Respond

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Fred" to "Fred F."
RID: 2823575
29/08/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Shahan and his staff are among the finest here in San Diego. This friendly, experienced team has taken care of my dermatology needs time and again for well over a year now!
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 2609756
06/04/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Shahan has been wonderful! I have had several biopsies and his office always calls me within a few days with results. The staff is very nice and great about calling with appointment reminders. They are flexible with scheduling. Dr. Shahan always makes time for all of my questions. I recently switched insurance carriers and the staff was great about making sure I wasn't charged for anything incorrectly. Dr. Shahan is also really good about taking into consideration my co-pays for prescriptions. I would highly recommend Dr. Shahan!
Insurance: Aetna

01/04/13 SYSTEM: location removed: La Meencinencinitasitassa, CA
RID: 2460586
29/10/12 5 5 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. Shahan for approximately 15 years. He and his staff have always been very helpful. I can always get an appointment quickly. One time, I needed a shot for my chronic dermatitis on a day that Dr. Shahan normally didn't see patients. He worked me in anyway and I was very grateful.
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 2407764
22/08/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Shahan is wonderful. He works hard, knows what he is doing and really takes great care of me.
Paid (or co-pay): $150
RID: 2404651
18/08/12 5 5 5 5 Excellant care. POPst melenoma. Ecellent care. Professional.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 2031909
16/04/12 5 5 5 5 Excellent Staff.. kind and Cariing. Easy to make appointments usually within same week. Dr Shahan diagnosis are accurate and his treatment plan for my skin aliments are remedy quite effectively  Respond
RID: 1697381
26/01/12 5 5 5 5 Professional, trustworthy and friendly dermatologist backed by the Scripps medical system. He is and expert in diagnosing and treating all sorts of skin cancers and conditions including speciality surgery and cosmetic restoration. You can trust him with your life. and you will always feel well cared for and welcome in his office.
Paid (or co-pay): $20
RID: 1692201
20/01/12 5 5 5 5 Excellent care and very knowledgeable. Also takes great care in making patients feel comfortable. I highly recommend Dr. Shahan.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 1679333
06/01/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Shahan - Is a fantastic dermatologist. His celebrity clientele is a virtual "who's who" of Southern California, but getting an appointment within a reasonable time frame is always possible. He spends a great deal of time with his patients and is the top physician in his field. Look no further if you're searching for the best dermatologist in California.  Respond
RID: 1676420
04/01/12 5 5 5 5 I have been seeing Dr. Shahan for a number of years for scar treatments. I am quite happy with his services and his staff. I definitely recommend him.  Respond
RID: 1671854
29/12/11 5 5 5 5 I have had good experiences for the treatment of eczema and fungal infections. They also have very competitive prices on Botox. Dr. Shahan has a pleasant demeanor and will take thetime to both listen and provide good explainations to my many questions. I like docs that help you understand what you have and how to treat it or avoid it. Usually can get an appointment within 2 weeks but they can fit you in for urgent matters. The staff is good too, short wait times in the waiting room and once in the treatment room you're attended by staff who completes the intitial work-up. I have had Derms that overbook patient schedules resulting in 45 min waits beyond the scheduled time...only to corral you into a treatment room for another 10-15 min. No Thanks!...Free and easy outside parking outside the medical office building. Location I went to is Alvarado/San Diego State area.
RID: 1671850
29/12/11 5 4 5 5 Dr. Shahan is impeccible with his attention to detail. I have been struggling with facial Folliculitis for over 30 years, and together we have worked to minimize this. As a career outside salesman, I have needed to work on my appearance. Dr. Shahan is always available to talk to me about ALL my options, and is very open to working around how you as a patient want/need to be treated. I recently took Accutane, which I was worried about, but Dr. Shahan was very conscious of the side-effects, and took it upon himself to make sure I was comfortable with the medication and my body handled it well. He even called me on his day off, from his personal cell phone, one day to make sure the medication was not having adverse side-effects. I have referred my entire family to Dr. Shahan, and would do the same to friends, and others that I dont even know. One of the best things about this office, is that they are always available and friendly about changing schedules due to my work requirements.
Paid (or co-pay): $25
RID: 1671254
28/12/11 5 4 5 5 I have been a satisfied patient of Dr Shanan for many years.He has performed mohs surgery on me many times for the removal of skin cancer. He has done a wonderful job with very little if any scarring. I highly recommend him to everyone!!!!!!!
RID: 1665937
20/12/11 5 5 5 5 I am a patient of Dr. Fred Shahan and i have had a wanderful experience with him and his staff. I find them all to be kind, attentive, knowledgeable and highly professional.  Respond
RID: 1665255
19/12/11 5 5 5 5 I highly recommend Dr Shahan as a dermatologist. I have been a patient of his for about 4 years and he is extremely knowledgable, very well trained and professional. I fully trust him with my dermatologic healthcare. The office staff is courteous and accommodating. I have never noticed anything unusual about the wait times, seems normal. Highly recommend.  Respond
RID: 1652856
05/12/11 5 5 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. Shahan's for a number of years and he has treated me for a variaty of different things from rashes to skin cancer. He has been extremly professional and very very compitent in what he does and what he has done for me. I have been very saticfied with his services and would highly reccomend him to anyone.  Respond
RID: 1650725
02/12/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Shahan is an excellent dermatologist. He put me at ease immediately and treated me on two occasions for separate medical problems. He was 'spot-on' on both problems. His staff were very friendly and professional. I feel very lucky to have access to this kind of medical care.  Respond

23/11/11 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1641504
22/11/11 4 5 5 5 I visit Dr. Shahan several times a year for botox injections. He is very gently and caring. The procedures are always comfortable and with out any negative side effects. I love the results and will continue to be a loyal patient.
RID: 1639741
20/11/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Shahan is great! I have been going to him for over 6 years. He is very knowledge able and his staff is great. I would recommend him.
RID: 1639637
20/11/11 5 5 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. Shahan's for over 11 years. He is professional, knowledgeable and kind. I have referred him to family and friends, who all now his loyal patients. His office staff is friendly and accommodating. What I like best about Dr. Shahan is how PRECISE he is - whether it is an injection or surgery - he is meticulous and exact. He is conscious of my pain level and gives thorough after-care instructions, as well as plenty of samples. Dr. Shahan helps my skin stay healthy and keeps my face from aging.
RID: 1639230
20/11/11 4 4 5 5 Dr. Shahan is a skillful and knowledgeable dermatologist. He has given my friends discounted rates and payment plan options. I don't expect doctors to work for free.
RID: 1565370

19/10/11 5 2 1 3 I have skin cancer. I had an appointment for surgery scheduled tomorrow. They called me up today to tell me that unless I pay $600 up front they will not do the surgery. I will never go back to this doctor again. I can't believe that he refuses to treat a patient with cancer unless he's paid up front. As if cancer wasn't scary and stressful enough.
* - Rating left by a registered user