Rate Dr. Armstrong Mettle

Dr. Armstrong Mettle's Ratings

I had an appointment for 4:00 and I didn't get in to see him until 5:30. It would have been faster to show up as a walk in with another doctor in the same clinic. During my appointment we were interrupted 4 times by his staff, who needed him to sign something and print a new form. I will not be returning to him. It's no surprise that he's always accepting new patients....because nobody stays with him!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2581121].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 16, 2014

Patrician demeanor, crafty smile. Mettle talked expansively about how he is "not a scientist but a clinician" – an artisan who can "ignore lab results and make his own decisions." Examples: (1) My case: If a patient finds a way to live with symptoms, Mettle says "Why worry? Why dig deeper for a diagnosis?" I argued for half-hour for right to specialist. (2) General: Suppose a patient takes 2 Rx known to conflict with each other, and pharmacist warns they shouldn't be taken together. If no bad reaction occurred YET, Mettle "would just allow patient to continue. Why worry?" (3) General: FDA lists a maximum dose for each Rx marketed. Mettle said he "ignores that. The actual lethal dose of a Rx is six times the max dose, giving him a large buffer to prescribe above the official maximum." But lethal dose refers to mortality (death); maximum dose prevents morbidity (serious injury from side-effects). I wept after my appointment, and hours later deciphered why: Mettle has an undertone of ruthlessness.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2456090].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 18, 2014

I have only been seeing Dr. Mettle over the past year. He has been very helpful and knowledgeable, and shows care and concern for maintaining the health of his patients over the long term. And he takes the time to make sure the patient understands the nature of his illness, and the nuances of treatment, with a full explanation of any drug therapies. This is a major departure from other doctors I have had, some of whom are literally gazing at their watches repeatedly, while trying to hurry you out of the examining room...after all MONEY is more important to them than the health of their patients. So, if he is late for our appointments, OK, because, he isn't just lounging around...he is probably taking the time to explain everything to his previous patient, and he will probably do the same with me, so that he is late for his next patient. GOOD FOR HIM! ..as he ignores those not-so-subtle knocks on the door by the clinic's staff who are more interested in revenue than in health care!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1881408].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 4, 2012

I have been to this doctor twice and twice he was rude, condescending, extremely late, and left abruptly. The first time he tried to tell me that the condition I've lived with for 10 years was something else entirely and wouldn't listen when I told him otherwise. I vowed never to go back after the last time, 4 weeks after the birth of my son(and my appointment was NOT baby related whatsoever), when upon leaving he smiled and told me to "make sure I don't gain too much weight." Baby or no baby, it was extremely inappropriate and offensive.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1881405].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 14, 2011

Dr. Mettle listens more than he talks. I found that each time I've gone back to visit him, it seems like he understands my physical conditions better. He doesn't rush to conclusions but he does put forth mental effort and strive to help you. He is often blunt, but hey...Doctors get lied to a lot and I think he's just trying to keep it real. People often down-play their bad habits (smoking, bad diet etc).

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1881404].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 19, 2011

I will NEVER see this doctor again. When I first moved to Saskatoon I starting going to him as he was also taking Walk-ins. First he told me I didn't have something that I was diagnosed with by my old doctor in B.C. Stopped treatment of it and it has gotten worse.(I have been since re-diagnosed with the condition by my new doctor). He was VERY insensitive when I told him about my past and being sexually abused. His thoughts were: " it is normal and men have animal instincts" and that I should just not worry about it. That did NOT fly with me. Also, he made a comment to me while I was walking back to the waiting room and others could easily hear which was "try not to eat too much". Also I went for a PAP and was the last appointment of the day and waited over an hour after they were closed in the little room while listening to him chit chat with a nurse and then he was rude and rough during the exam. He makes my skin crawl.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1881403].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 23, 2010

Dr Mettle has bend my doctor for many years he is very helfull and takes his time and is very knowledgeable and care about my health and concerns keep up the good work

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1881402].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 17, 2009

Dr. Mettle is in a phenomenal MD. His time in the nowheres of Saskatchewan have given him experience that you are hard-pressed to find elsewhere. He is very helpful with providing information and very clear about what he is doing. Office waits can be long though, so book near the end of the day to avoid wait times.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1881401].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 23, 2009

As a pt of his who also works in the health industry I would like to say that he is an excellent Dr! We are entitled to have bad days. As for getting forms filled out if they require you to have testing done just cause then sk health does not cover the cost so with that said you would be responsible for the cost of the procedure!!! He is very knowledgeable and DOES know what he is doin!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1881400].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 19, 2009

I went in to see Dr.Mettle to get my POPAT form filled out and he was very rude from the moment he walked in the door. He made me feel very uncomfortable in the room during the exam. He also was asking questions about the form to me, when he is the doctor and not me. He then proceeded to tell me I had to get an X-RAY and that I had to pay for it all because he couldnt do his job. I will never go back to him again. As for the office assistant at the front desk she was not very pleasant and they wasted alot of my time. I had to go back twice to the office just to pick up my form because they had not completed filling it out for me.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1881399].votes_count ]]