Rate Dr. James Shapiro

Dr. James Shapiro's Ratings

Dr. Shapiro got me into surgery 6 days after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He is a very kind, caring person, who explained everything to me in layman's terms. He performed the Whipple procedure on me, and was there before surgery to give me comfort, knowing how terrified I was. He was there every morning after surgery to check on me along with his staff of doctors. In my opinion, Dr. James Shapiro is the most caring, professional, wonderful human being I have ever had the privilage of meeting.

Submitted July 13, 2013 | flag

Dr. Shapiro removed the rt lobe of my liver a few years ago. The bad news was delivered by him in a caring and respectful manner. The office got me in 2 days after my emergency MRI, and he booked my surgery while I was in the office. I was bumped the day before my surgery and was very upset by it, mostly due to a bad case of nerves. He phoned me himself while I was still in pre-admission and explained why. I had my surgery very soon after. Throughout my stay he remained professional and kind. Follow up visits were very successful as well. No complaints from me, I would highly recommend him to anyone with liver problems.

Submitted Oct. 12, 2012 | flag

Great doctor - very kind and to the point. He is a very busy man but always had time to explain anything to me, he even called me a week before surgery when I had a small question about it, taking time out of his busy day. My surgery was rebooked several times (the man does emergency and oncall work, so you will be bumped if something more dire comes up), he removed my gall bladder and a pancreatic cyst - ended up being a bigger procedure than expected, but he visted my hospital bed right away to explain the details and always checked up on me when he could. Very happy with the followup as well. The man knows his stuff! He may seem a little rushed, but he has a lot of appointments to get through - and if you ask him anything, he will take the time to answer.

Submitted Aug. 14, 2012 | flag

Did my liver transplant. Great surgeon and a nice guy in my experience. Very busy of course, and one must take that into account when rating things like "helpfulness." I found him approachable, respectful and caring. This guy does 12 hour surgeries routinely, in the middle of the night, with no notice. He's not going to have a lot of time for talking, but he saw me several times while I was in hospital.

Submitted Jan. 4, 2012 | flag

My husband struggled with a dangerously low platelet count for over 4 years. Every treatment tried was unsuccessful. When he saw Dr. Shipiro to discuss the removal of his spleen it was the very last hope. The surgery was a success and we were both very impressed with Dr. Shipiro. He was kind and compassionate and although busy took time to answer questions and keep us informed of what we needed to know both before and after surgery. We highly recommend him.

Submitted Dec. 13, 2011 | flag

Wonderful, wonderful doctor, surgeon and human being. Scheduled me in for surgery within a week or two of my consultation. Did a wonderful job, without any complications.

Submitted Jan. 17, 2011 | flag

arrogant and so full of himself, couldn't get out of his office fast enough.

Submitted Jan. 7, 2011 | flag

I was referred to Dr. Shapiro from SK and I received an appointment within one week and surgery was scheduled that same week. He was excellent - he answered all our questions honestly and treated me with the utmost respect and concern. I could not have been happier with the care I received.

Submitted Dec. 20, 2010 | flag

Very pleasant and skilled surgeon. He did my liver transplant surgery.

Submitted Nov. 21, 2010 | flag

Our experience with Dr. Shapiro was wonderful. He has an incredible bedside manner. He was helpful and informative and very patient in answering all of our questions surrounding the potential living donor transplant between our son and myself. I felt as if we were in excellent experienced hands,trusting Dr. Shapiro with both of our lives. Thankfully we have not yet gone to transplant but our positive experience with Dr. Shapiro as we explored our options was memorable and noteworthy.

Submitted Nov. 19, 2010 | flag