Dr. Karen Tessler

Rate Dr. Karen Tessler

Dr. Karen Tessler's Ratings

I met with Dr. Tessler Feb 04th, 2013. Long story short I had EVERY symptom of cervical cancer and I also suffered from these symptoms at the time of the visit for 8 months without a break so common sense and education which I am sure she has should have set off some alarms. Alas it did not. Continuing into the visit her and her assistant checked me over and despite the porfuse bleeding and shaking on my part she insisted that the growth on my cervix was completely normal and part of my anatomy and told me that there was no point in booking a follow up appointment because my body just needed to heal itself. Upon waiting another 6 months for a second opinion because my symptoms stayed the same I learned that I have cervical cancer and it's gone untreated now for over a year. By her lax attitude and care for me I can confidently say that Dr. Tessler is an incompetent Doctor and should not be handing out death sentences to young 26 year old women who have their life ahead of them.

Submitted Sept. 29, 2013 | flag

After reading the comments here I was worried about my first appointment with dr Tessler. Unfortunately I started bleeding three weeks before my first pre-natal visit, and got an earlier appointment by the stressed but friendly receptionist. Dr Tessler is a professional, matter of fact and no fuss kind of doctor. It turned out I had had a misscarriage, and was sent home with pills to get out the rest. She reminded me of that strict university professor that everyone's a bit scared of, but that helps you out and tells you what you need to hear (maybe not what you want to hear). In a very vulnerable position I was grateful she acted the way she did, that strict professor attitude helped me pull mysel together. I guess it's all down to personal preference, but for me dr Tessler was the perfect doctor, and I will continue to go to her next time I get pregnant. I trust her judgement and her medical knowledge, and am relieved to know she will be taking care of my next pregnancy.

Submitted May 12, 2013 | flag

This doctor has several complaints in her file at St. Michael's Hospital; private, legitimate complaints based on real experiences. My induction with her was a terrible experience; I have also known other women who have written complaints to the hospital about their treatment by this Dr. To those posters that repeatedly chastise those of us with legitimate negative reviews, please stop commenting about other posts and 'RATE YOUR DOCTOR.'

Submitted Feb. 24, 2012 | flag

The receptionist didn't even greet me when I walked in. I was there for a pelvic exam, which the month before, I had to re-schedule because I was on my menses on the date of the original appointment. Dr. Tessler was quick, however, in her haste, she injured me with the speculum on entry. She realized I was in pain, but all she said was breathe. Oblivious to the excruciating pain I was really feeling. Anyway, two nights later my husband and I got intimate, and the pain was so bad, that intercourse was not enjoyable. It took months before the pain went away completely. Any time we engaged in intercourse I would be in pain afterward! Needless to say, I won't return to her office. I would rather go to a MALE OBGYN! As a woman she should be more empathic and sensitive.

Submitted Dec. 15, 2010 | flag

Doctor Tessler is my doctor and I was fortunate enough to have had her on call the day my daughter was born. She is a no nonsense doctor but is always knowable and helpful when needed. This is not a spa ladies! If you need your hand held while delivering a baby maybe you should hire someone to do so! I will continue to see Doctor Tessler as she is a great doctor.

Submitted Dec. 3, 2010 | flag

Dr Tessler is the most insensitive, rude, condescending, unencouraging, piece of work of a doctor I have ever met - and I've worked in L&D with many MDs as a nurse. I was present at my sister-in-laws labour and birth who had the extremely unfortunate chance of having Dr. Tessler on call at the time at St. Mike's. The first thing she said to my sister in law (without introducing herself) was she was most likely going to end up with C section since she's not pushing properly. She had an epidural and Dr. Tessler was the one who got her to start pushing way too early in the first place as the baby had not yet descended enough down the birth canal. She was extremely harsh and rude to my sister-in -law which is absolutely ridiculous when a woman is trying her hardest to birth her child (and this was her first baby). She rushed things and it was very clear that she wanted to do a c/s from the start for her own convenience. She essentially bullied my sister in law into having a c/s.

Submitted May 16, 2010 | flag

Dr. Tessler was fantastic. Very brusque, yes, but in a good way. She pulls no punches, and she'll tell you everything straight, which frankly I appreciated as a new parent. She's exceptionally knowledgeable and if you give her a few visits you'll see that sparkle in her eye. She has a great sense of humour lurking under there. I will definitely return to her again. Baby is 6 months old now and I haven't regretted my choice of OB/GYN, and I haven't forgotten how well I was treated there.

Submitted May 13, 2010 | flag

I had a great expereince with Dr. Tessler. I did find her to be a little bit short but extremely efficient. My water broke at 29 weeks and I was admitted to Mt. Sinai where I received great care. At 32 weeks I was transferred to St. Mike's where Dr. Tessler would come and visit me everyday and on weekends. My daughter was born premature weighing just over 3 lbs. As soon as Dr. Tessler heard she came to see me. I would definately recommend her.

Submitted Jan. 13, 2010 | flag

I found her unhelpful and she did not take my bleeding or cramps seriously at all, and it ended in stillbirth. I do not blame her for the loss of my son, but now that I am having a healthy pregnancy with great care, I know that I should have been checked out more. I came to her with my issues of cramping and spotting (after 5 months pregnant) and she said I was fine. I kept calling when they continued and she told me I was fine. She didn't tell me to get an ultrasound of any kind to see why I was bleeding, or to lay in bed and rest. In retrospect, I was so stupid to have listened to my doctor and not listened to my body and my instincts. This may not have changed anything, but who knows? You don't want to chance your pregnancy. I urge you, if you are in her care and anything goes wrong, PUSH for further investigation.

Submitted Nov. 3, 2009 | flag

I was referred to her on my 1st week of pregnancy but appointed to meet her in the 13th week. Why so late?! It’s how Dr. Tessler works. Upon her performing the examination I was sent to the U/S which came to be devastating. The fetus was dead inside me for over 5 weeks. I should have scheduled an appointment with a gynecologist interested in his/her patients. Dr. Tessler sent me home with 2 doses of Misoprostol – medicine to be inserted vaginally every 24 hours–to help me eliminate the dead fetus. I was advised that one out of every six women miscarries and also that Misoprostol can give adverse reactions. In case of bleeding or high fever I should go to Emergency. SO WHAT IS SHE THEN IF I SHOULD SEE A DOCTOR FROM THE HOSPITAL??? Bottom line: the medicine didn’t do anything to me. I had to have D and C performed by a doctor from St. Michael. Dr. Tessler would not set an appointment to see me after the surgery or in the near future although her office was advised of my surgery.

Submitted Aug. 26, 2009 | flag