You may also like

Rate Dr. Anthony Ocana

Dr. Anthony Ocana's Ratings

Great Doctor,
he made me feel welcomed from day one and has never stopped. Great guy, great doctor, very knowledgeable and has a way of explaining complex things so that it's very easy to understand.
I was referred to him for my undiagnosed ADHD and even though I went in reluctant to accept it, he helped me understand it, accept it and learn to live with it.

The staff is amazing also, my favourite is the blond lady sitting on the right side of the front desk. She is soooooo nice. She has the kindness a deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Thanks guys,

Ehsan

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2806640].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 13, 2015

An extremely kind, gifted professional. I feel highly motivated to transform my lifestyle and beat my addictions. Truly life-changing.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2804193].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 11, 2015

Dr. Anthony Ocana saved my life. Before I began sessions with him I had undiagnosed ADHD for years, as well as some serious substance abuse issues which lead to depression. I was unhappy with every aspect of my life…. I knew I had potential but I simply couldn't get out of the vicious cycle of addiction and depression I was in. With Dr. Ocana's help over the years I have completely transformed my life and am myself a medical professional… if it wasn't for him I don't want to think about where i could be today. Regarding the comments about him being arrogant below, they are 100 percent garbage. Book a consult and see for yourself, he is nothing if not incredibly patient, knowledgeable and kind. I

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2757678].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 25, 2015

Nothing would thrill me more than to punch Dr Ocana in the face. Seriously, all those comments about him being arrogant and rude are 100% true. He lacks people skills along with communication skills. But at the end of the day he's been more effective in figuring out the problem than anyone else in the medical field. What he lacks in people skills he makes up for in vast knowledge of ADD, drug abuse and addiction issues along with co-morbid conditions. So if you want a doctor who will give you the kniwledge and help you need and you handle putting up with him being an insensitive,arrogant and condescending prick you'll be fine.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2753979].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 21, 2015

Like most of the other reviews say, I found him to be arrogant and condescending, Needed a diagnosis, which I got, so there's that. He was thorough (mostly- though he missed a few big questions and when I brought it up he stated that he'd OF COURSE asked them, because they're questions that you kinda HAVE to ask when doing a history for brain issues/ mental health/ADHD)...
His communication was poor- he noted in my paperwork that he thought I had a co-morbid condition as well as ADD but never discussed it with me- I found out from my GP when she asked for the records from his office. How can you treat me if you won't talk to me about my condition?
His approach seems to be to prescribe very high doses of medication, which seems to be a reasonable protocol for ADHD but not for ADD (without hyperactive symptoms- so I have since learned) and so I have to question his knowledge of dosage protocols. It was EXTREMELY detrimental to my health, bad reactions to all the medications he tried me on, and eventually had to give up and get treated by my family doctor with better medication (the cheaper ones on the provincial formulary) and in MU lower dosages. Also, he won't prescribe medication of the provincial formulary, which can obviously be a problem unless you're well off enough to be able to pay hundreds of dollars for medication outright.
He nearly cost me my job by insisting he knew the answer to a question pertaining to using the meds he put me on in my work environment. Instead of saying- "gee, I'm not sure, lets call the Transport Canada doctor" he said I was fine etc. etc. to take them and work and that very nearly resulted in me being out of work.
So, yeah. Arrogant. To the point of it being a serious problem. MY JOB IS NOT SOMETHING YOU CAN PUT IN JEOPARDY BECAUSE YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE ADMITTING YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION!!
He's good for a diagnosis, if you don't mind being talked down to and not included and who knows, may be good for people with addiction issues, (as some of the reviews suggest) but I'd seek out a second opinion for treatment. And if you just have boring old ADD, I'd stick with your GP. If you need more medical care than Your GP can provide, or if they can't get your medication to work for you, maybe get a referral to Dr. Ocana, but try to find other resources as well. And make sure run everything by your second opinion. If you get someone that you can talk to, who's not a condescending ass, it might prove complementary to Dr. Ocana's approach.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2744674].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 9, 2015

Dr. Ocana continues to be the best doctor I have ever encountered. I credit Dr. Ocana with saving my life, as well as improving my quality of life. After having him as both a family doctor as well as specialist, I had never met a doctor more knowledgeable, patient, and kind. He also inspired me to become a doctor, and for this I am very grateful. Thank you for your wonderful service.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2732854].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 24, 2015

Quite simply, this incredible man saved my life! He worked with me for 7 years and at the time I left, I was finally given the right medications to treat multiple symptoms. Dr. Ocana, this is Paula Harvey saying thank you for all you have done for me!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2631752].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 24, 2014

Very rude staff. Was late for all appointments Not helpful at all, he is completely arrogant, obnoxious and condansending towards patients. He may be knowledgble in his field, but not someone you want to work with.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2628011].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 21, 2014

Worst doctor of all time. I went under his care and he is one arrogant, condescending person I have ever met in my life. I filed a complaint to the board about him. To be avoided.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2625631].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 19, 2014

Dr. Ocana specializes in ADHD/Addiction issues. Our ADHD daughter had gone through a tough 8 years as a teen, drank, did drugs, got into trouble. By the time we were referred to Dr. Ocana she'd overdosed twice, & tried to kill herself. She can be defiant, opinionated and belligerent and I knew they wouldn't work well together if Dr. Ocana couldn't get past those behaviours. It's been a year, she chose to get off drugs, and he supported her with the medical help & medicine she needed. Over the last 12 months, he's stuck things out with my daughter, even when she relapsed he helped her get back on track.

Of all the medical health care professionals that we've seen over the years, Dr. Ocana is the ONLY doctor that took the time to learn all about my daughter's history. As the mom, I was openly invited to every appt. (whereas other doctors had mocked me for wanting to participant in her appointments [my daughter wanted me to be present]). Based on his careful research, he was able to pinpoint the problems with the brain wiring and correctly deduce the required meds.

His knowledge is amazing! I still learn something every time I go. She was such a mess when we first saw him, on heroine, on methadone, overdoses, suicide attempt. One year later she's clean, in school....she's still got a long ways to go but with Dr. Ocana with us I know we're blessed with every chance of success.

My daughter says she's 50% responsible for her success, Dr. Ocana is the other 50%.
I agree, because it took a lot of courage for her to come off 135ml methadone. She was totally committed and I'm very proud of her. But she'd have ultimately failed without Dr. Ocana because all the same things that made her do drugs in the first place were still there. Without medicating the ADHD part of her brain, she would have relapsed and stayed there.

Remember, Dr. Ocana treats ADHD/addiction issues very different from others, his approach is unique in that he feels the addicts brain was wired wrong from birth and THIS is what led the patient to take drugs. Help the brain function better (ie. treat the ADHD) and the addiction goes away. It's a revolutionary approach and for my daughter, at least, it's working great.

I'd like to comment on some of the negative comments I'm seeing on here:
1. He can be late sometimes; he deals with patients with multiple disorders, it can be complicated. He's running late because he listens to his patients, he's not doing it to be an asshole.

2. Ok, the arrogance comment: At first I thought I was seeing arrogance, but what I was really seeing was a Dr. who has vast experience dealing with ADHD/addiction. He's confident in his knowledge as he treats thousands of drug addicts. He can also spot addict bullshit and he called my daughter out on it a number of times. He's self assured. He knows his stuff. It's not arrogance.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2612316].votes_count ]]