Rate Dr. Anthony Ocana

Dr. Anthony Ocana's Ratings

Quite simply, this incredible man saved my life! He worked with me for 7 years and at the time I left, I was finally given the right medications to treat multiple symptoms. Dr. Ocana, this is Paula Harvey saying thank you for all you have done for me!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2631752].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 24, 2014

Very rude staff. Was late for all appointments Not helpful at all, he is completely arrogant, obnoxious and condansending towards patients. He may be knowledgble in his field, but not someone you want to work with.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2628011].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 21, 2014

Worst doctor of all time. I went under his care and he is one arrogant, condescending person I have ever met in my life. I filed a complaint to the board about him. To be avoided.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2625631].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 19, 2014

Dr. Ocana specializes in ADHD/Addiction issues. Our ADHD daughter had gone through a tough 8 years as a teen, drank, did drugs, got into trouble. By the time we were referred to Dr. Ocana she'd overdosed twice, & tried to kill herself. She can be defiant, opinionated and belligerent and I knew they wouldn't work well together if Dr. Ocana couldn't get past those behaviours. It's been a year, she chose to get off drugs, and he supported her with the medical help & medicine she needed. Over the last 12 months, he's stuck things out with my daughter, even when she relapsed he helped her get back on track.

Of all the medical health care professionals that we've seen over the years, Dr. Ocana is the ONLY doctor that took the time to learn all about my daughter's history. As the mom, I was openly invited to every appt. (whereas other doctors had mocked me for wanting to participant in her appointments [my daughter wanted me to be present]). Based on his careful research, he was able to pinpoint the problems with the brain wiring and correctly deduce the required meds.

His knowledge is amazing! I still learn something every time I go. She was such a mess when we first saw him, on heroine, on methadone, overdoses, suicide attempt. One year later she's clean, in school....she's still got a long ways to go but with Dr. Ocana with us I know we're blessed with every chance of success.

My daughter says she's 50% responsible for her success, Dr. Ocana is the other 50%.
I agree, because it took a lot of courage for her to come off 135ml methadone. She was totally committed and I'm very proud of her. But she'd have ultimately failed without Dr. Ocana because all the same things that made her do drugs in the first place were still there. Without medicating the ADHD part of her brain, she would have relapsed and stayed there.

Remember, Dr. Ocana treats ADHD/addiction issues very different from others, his approach is unique in that he feels the addicts brain was wired wrong from birth and THIS is what led the patient to take drugs. Help the brain function better (ie. treat the ADHD) and the addiction goes away. It's a revolutionary approach and for my daughter, at least, it's working great.

I'd like to comment on some of the negative comments I'm seeing on here:
1. He can be late sometimes; he deals with patients with multiple disorders, it can be complicated. He's running late because he listens to his patients, he's not doing it to be an asshole.

2. Ok, the arrogance comment: At first I thought I was seeing arrogance, but what I was really seeing was a Dr. who has vast experience dealing with ADHD/addiction. He's confident in his knowledge as he treats thousands of drug addicts. He can also spot addict bullshit and he called my daughter out on it a number of times. He's self assured. He knows his stuff. It's not arrogance.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2612316].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 9, 2014

OK, I am not a patient of Ocana's per se but I am the mother of 2 daughters who have been independently diagnosed with ADD and we lucked out when we found Dr. Ocana. For the last 4-5 years I have been trekking to his office bi-monthly with my eldest who is now in Grade 9. My children's ADD has caused a lot of stress in our family and Ocana's confidence and credentials did inspire me to persevere through the trials of medication to find the dose and drug that works. It was LIFE CHANGING for both my daughter and our family dynamic even on the first day. We have had ups and downs but she now manages her own symptoms with her medication and embraces her gift. When my younger daughter who is now 10 began exhibiting similar but also different symptoms, I asked Dr. Ocana to consider seeing her as well. His reservations confirmed for me that he had the best interests of my kids at heart. Her journey has been a struggle for different reasons and 13 months ago she was diagnosed with Alopecia and started losing ALL of her hair. Dr. Ocana, in my opinion, played a large role in getting through to my daughter that she needed to change her perspective on life and guided her to a better, less stressful way of accepting her ADD. I believe, as does my daughter, that this is one of the reasons why her hair has began to grow back. It is unexpected and I am just so glad that Ocana is accessible to us and feel he will be largely responsible for the successes that my girls have in their life. I won't lie though :) he has never once been on time for his appointments with us - and I go there a lot.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2569778].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 8, 2014

Dr. Ocana improved my life as much as any other person I have met including family, friends and business acquaintances. A pretty bold statement but true. With all the great gifts and opportunities I have had in life something was always wrong with my mental stability and happiness. Oddly it was never addressed despite graduating from high school and university and going on to to become wealthy in my business career. Going back 8 years I was physically healthy, married for 28 years with successful children, a wide social network and a successful business. How could things not be perfect? But they weren't. I met Dr. Ocana by accident; my accident when trail running and he was the GP I went to on an emergency basis. Getting to know him as a GP I found out about his keen interest and knowledge in mental irregularities and I have been on the same simple three drugs per day regimen for about 7.5 years now - please note the 6 months it took to experiment with drugs and dosages, it may take time and needs your commitment. At age 61 these have been the best balanced most enjoyable years of my life. My wife, family, friends and business associates would agree. You may note that some people giving bad reviews also trash the staff. They are the same staff that serve everyone in the very busy clinic and overall they get good reviews, maybe some people are not just angry with Dr. Ocana but angry in general?

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2553824].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 26, 2014

Simply put Dr. Ocana is the best Dr. I have ever encountered. He is extremely knowledgeable and takes the time to explain things. On first impression I wouldn't have thought he would be the type of Dr. to be reassuring, however, he has turned out to be the most reassuring/encouraging/caring Dr. that I have ever worked with. The only time(s) he has not been punctual from what I have experienced is when other patients have been late. Otherwise he is always on time, even more so than from what I have experienced with other doctors. He is thorough, did a medical exam before prescribing any meds (my other doctors neglected to do this), and is flexible in regards to patient preference. Dr. Ocana is confident and I wouldn't want nor trust a doctor who isn't. He still takes the time to listen to patients. After being on several meds and under the care of several doctors, the only improvements I have ever made were under the care of Dr. Ocana. I really can't say enough good things about him.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2456184].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 3, 2014

WARNING!!! Any and all positive comments are made by this incompetent, pompous, arrogant and disgusting doctor. Rather than bore you with the endless list of everything this Dr. and his equally un-caring staff did, do yourself a huge favor, trust me, not him.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2456183].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 11, 2014

This Doctor does harm ---no attention to clients, as he has soooooo many, not punctual, not helpfulrude and belittling--hurt my healing process significantly

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2456182].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 16, 2014

My journey with ADD began when I found out my Dad, who has been suffering with depression and mental health issue for the majority of my life, was diagnosed with ADD during the lowest time of his life - separating from my Mother due to years of infidelity. At first, I thought ADD was a way for my dad to create pity and to justify the years of dishonesty but a year later, and after the heat of the emotions had cooled down, I began reflecting and saw many of the symptons of ADD in myself. I sat on it for months and was hesitant to explore a possible diagnosis but that little voice kept persisting in my head. I was referred to Dr. Ocana in October 2013. Simply put, it has had a profound impact on my life. It isn't easy to voice these very intimate aspects of yourself - but Dr. Ocana made me feel comfortable and in the best hands. He is a excellent specialist and trust in him to provide the best care and guidance through this very complicated - and socially misunderstood condition

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][1887847].votes_count ]]