Rate Dr. Michael Gilbart

Dr. Michael Gilbart's Ratings

This guy is a WORLD CLASS SURGEON and we're very fortunate to have him here in Canada. I had a supraspintus tear in my left shoulder that he repaired and its now like it never happened.Unfortunately another accident at work tore my right shoulder and he did the surgery two weeks ago. He and his team explained everything well, and gave me confidence with once again having surgery. Follow up was tremendous and his office visits were very helpful. He loves what he does and it shows in his excellent work. He's definitely a five star in every area. Once again we're very fortunate to have this caliber of surgeon here in B.C.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2573663].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 11, 2014

No one ever answers phones, takes weeks just to hear from the receptionist. Dr Gilbart has a big ego and is condescending when you address concerns post op to him. He over books and then rushes through surgeries. Complete nightmare dealing with him and his staff. Botched my surgery and pretty well near impossible to address any concerns with him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2533563].votes_count ]]

Submitted Sept. 11, 2014

I had a partial ACL tear after hyper extending my knee, which should have completely torn the ACL. After MRI images all of my doctors were confused that my knee was as stable as it was. I am a UBC Athlete and was referred to Dr. Gilbart. He was extremely knowledgable, helpful and a very nice individual. My mother was very against my having surgery, however Dr. Gilbart eased her mind. On the surgery day I was told that it was very likely that I was going to have to get a full ACL reconstruction, however during the surgery, my knee was stable enough that I did not have to have the full surgery. Dr. Gilbart does not do unnesseccary surgery and gives proper post-op instructions. In my post-op appointment he was again very helpful and great. I know that if my knee ever bothers me again in the future, I will go to Dr. Gilbart.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1893655].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 22, 2013

Dr. Gilbart performed allograft ACL surgery as per my request at the Cambie Surgery Centre late May 2013. Surgery was a tremendous success! Dr. Gilbart was very thorough in answering all my long-list of questions before and after surgery. Before seeing Dr. Gilbart, I had already consulted with two ortho surgeons and done a ton of research online and interviewing former ACL surgery patients about the pros and cons of allograft vs autograft ACL, types of tissue, icing post-surgery, physio rehab program, etc. Had my first post-op appointment and he was happy to see I'm doing better than expected. Day 5 post-op I was walking without crutches (a bit limping) and on peddler cycle. 2 weeks post-op most of my swelling has gone and I have good range of motion. Unlike some of the negative ratings which I read, I found Dr. Gilbart to be caring and attentive with good bedside manner. Am excited to show him my progress/ improvement at my 2nd post-op appointment in 6 weeks!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1893654].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 12, 2013

I had acl reconstruction and meniscus repair surgery from Dr. Gilbart a few years ago. He did over 10 surgeries that day! I did not even get post op instructions or any communication. My knee is still loose and he won't follow up. I have seen other surgeons who confirm that it is likely the repair was not done optimally. He sounds knowledgable when you speak with him, but he is either not talented, just doesn't care to do things right, or takes on too many patients. He is over booked but also has a private practice which leads me to believe he is in it for the money. He should probably move to the States where he can make more money on less people and stop the cattle call method he is using on people's lives. My last requisition for an appt. was sent in by GP over 4 months ago. Have heard nothing. Go to somebody else.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1893653].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 10, 2012

I had Dr Gilbart perform surgery on my right hip back in January 2011. The limited success we had was exactly what Dr Gilbart predicted. I had very little surgical discomfort post surgery and was quite comfortable knowing Dr Gilbart was my surgeon. His staff at UBC hosp. on the other hand, leave alot to be desired. They do not return calls in a timely matter, they have no consideration for a patients travel distance when booking times, they are completely unorganised. If Dr Gilbart replaced his front office staff his approval rating would skyrocket. He is very very good at what he does.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1893652].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 31, 2011

I went to his private clinic. Even in private clinic very unorganized, never pick up a phone, always it gets forward to answering machine. So far I have not find him very useful. I had an issue with my knee and was not address properly at all. His staff seem to be unexperienced and disrespectful toward patient.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1893651].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 24, 2011

I had FAI (hip impingement) surgery on my left hip in January, 2011 and although the surgery was not successful, I felt very comfortable in the hands of Dr. Gilbart. He is kind, does not beat around the bush, let me know the risks involved from the get go, but continued to be hopeful. As for his receptionist, I have not had a bad experience with her, but she's busy, and I work around her schedule. I get quick and complete responses from her. Just understand she's busy, she doesn't have time to be your friend but I had no problems with any communication I had with her. I respected her and things are dandy. If I need arthroscopic surgery for anything again, it'll be through Dr. Gilbart, no questions asked.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1893650].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 13, 2011

My only complaint so far it the wait and lack of contact info. It has been over 2 years and I still have not had one phone call or reply from the office. Right now I wish I had gone private accept from what I hear I still get the same Dr and staff no mater what.??? My hip is really bothering me now and wish I can get something done soon. Im not mad I just want to know what is going to happen and when. Hello... Dec 2008 - July 2011 nothing so far

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1893649].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 19, 2011

On April 13th 2011 I had my slap tear of my right arm repaired by Dr. Gilbart and the whole process has moved along a million times better then what I was expecting. After reading people's different stories on this particular surgery I was preparing myself for the worst. At NO point did I have any pain after the surgery nor did I dip into the pain meds. As far as I'm concerned it's been top notch. I think people who go through the positive experiences need to post their comments because more often then not you hear of the negative ones.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1893648].votes_count ]]